Apartment Noise Reduction

alby

Reaction score
I just moved into a new apartment. The street that my bedroom window faces is very loud at night. On top of that, the wall that faces that street is also pretty thin, so it's tough to get a good night's rest.

I've heard about noise reduction curtains and even wall padding, but I have no experience in that stuff. Anybody have any suggestions on curtains, padding, wallpaper, brands...etc?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Edit: Looking for something other than ear plugs. Sometimes it's hard to sleep with those things jammed in your ears and hearing my alarm in the morning is also a problem...

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
The amount of money you have at you disposal will be a determining factor in the solutions you are looking for. Let me restate my question.

How much money do you have to spend?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Just be careful not to make any permanent changes unless you check with the management first. I work for an apartment company and know you could be charged for the repairs when or if you move out.

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
Exactly what kind of noise is it? If it's traffic noise, you'll get used to it. Maybe even grow to like it.

I'd suggest you buy a box fan and turn it on high before you go to bed. That could/should drown out the other noise.

alby

Reaction score
Great ideas, thanks...I was also hoping for something that I could just go out and buy at a store or something.

not really sure how much money I'm willing to spend.. but just something reasonably priced

FanSince61

Thanks for the memories Dandy
Reaction score
You might try a white noise CD. The CD imitates noises such as fan, air purifiers, rain and etc.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
ROMOSAPIEN9;2199865 said:
Exactly what kind of noise is it? If it's traffic noise, you'll get used to it. Maybe even grow to like it.

I'd suggest you buy a box fan and turn it on high before you go to bed. That could/should drown out the other noise.

I agree. I lived on M-street in Georgetown (D.C.) for two years and grew to love the noise of the city. I still miss it.

Almost as addictive as lakefront/oceanfront breakers.

alby

Reaction score
StarKist;2199845 said:
The amount of money you have at you disposal will be a determining factor in the solutions you are looking for. Let me restate my question.

How much money do you have to spend?

maybe somewhere around 100 dollars? I don't know what that would exactly fetch me though.

Route 66

Reaction score
Buy a box fan and run it at night. I also have the sound deadening curtains and they really drown out a lot of noise. They are also cheap as well.

alby

Reaction score
thanks for the advice guys!

how much do sound deadening curtains usually go for?

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;2200411 said:
Drink more.
Bill Wilson turns in his grave. The big book sets itself on fire. The media continues to report that pink toilet bowl rings are a threat to society.

As The World Turns...

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
first, you'll most likely get used to it after awhile...it is like living next door to construction...generally, you get use to the noise and just tune it out naturally.

Second, I'm not sure how much help those curtains will be. I think the biggest problems are the windows. I heard that it is the windows, above all, that let sound in. Even lining your wall with the sound deadening stuff will still let sound in if your window isn't the right type. I know there are windows out there that they sell that dramatically reduce sound from outside, but they are probably pricey, moreso than regular ones.

Also, you have to consider what it type of sound...if it is sound noise or vibrations of the cars speeding past.

Route 66

Reaction score
The windows are the definite weak area. However, the curtains I use really work and they are just like the ones found at some hotels that do a fair job at noise reduction as well. I would have never believed had I not tried it on the room to my washer and dryer. They totally blocked out 80 percent plus of the sound. Forget low frequencies obviously. :)

Hoov

Reaction score
ROMOSAPIEN9;2199865 said:

Good Idea, and it works. I got one 2 years ago, the kind that fits in a window. I have a room i rent out in my house, the 3rd floor attic bedroom. The guy that rents it is a good friend, but he's a bartender and he is used to sleeping all day and being up all night, he watches tv until 4 am almost every night. And the more he drinks, the louder the tv gets, and it is right under my bedroom. Plus he goes in and out the front door every 20 minuets for a smoke, the front door is also right under my bedroom. I was waking up every night, tried sleeping with the radio and even tried earplugs. Once i got the fan.....no troubles, cant hear a thing at night