Apple approves the Opera web browser... sort of

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
It appears Apple has finally approved the first non-native web browser. The Opera web browser, but put a stipulation on it. You must be seventeen to use it!

What in hell? You must be seventeen to use someone else's web browser, but if you use Apples, then it doesn't matter?

The government needs to file at least 50 different anti-trust lawsuits against Apple.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
FYI, this is for the Mac App Store which is literally only weeks old. The "finally" may be a little unwarranted, but good for sensationalism, nonetheless. I'm really not sure why someone would need to download a web browser through an app store on a desktop or laptop computer, however.

Non-native web browsers have been available in the iOS App Store for years.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;3865840 said:
FYI, this is for the Mac App Store which is literally only weeks old. The "finally" may be a little unwarranted, but good for sensationalism, nonetheless. I'm really not sure why someone would need to download a web browser through an app store on a desktop or laptop computer, however.

Was just going to post that I have seen alternate web browsers to download in the app store.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BTW, if we're talking browsers, take a look at RockMelt. Chromium based, fast as a bird, and a great UI. Especially if you use FB and/or read syndicated content.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;3865840 said:

Thats for clearing that up. :muttley: Still straight up POS thing to do by a POS company.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;3865963 said:
Thats for clearing that up. :muttley: Still straight up POS thing to do by a POS company.
Maybe it was a job at Opera for being dumb enough to submit the app. I just don't get why they'd even care if it's included. I'd rather have people come to my own website and download it.

That is, unless they foresee the Mac App Store becoming *THAT* important.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;3866071 said:
Maybe it was a job at Opera for being dumb enough to submit the app. I just don't get why they'd even care if it's included. I'd rather have people come to my own website and download it.

That is, unless they foresee the Mac App Store becoming *THAT* important.

Apple was an idiot and you just tried to shift the blame to Opera? Wow, you are clearly one of Apple's sheep.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;3866114 said:
Apple was an idiot and you just tried to shift the blame to Opera? Wow, you are clearly one of Apple's sheep.
I'm certainly not blaming Opera for wanting Apple's app store market share.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nyc;3866114 said:

Sheep here. I willingly follow companies who build awesome products that are better by a wide margin than other free-market competitors. How dumb is it to do otherwise? As long as they make great products, they get my money.