Apple Is Now Worth More Than Intel And Microsoft Combined

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Apple Is Now Worth More Than Intel And Microsoft Combined
Alyson Shontell
Jun. 4, 2011, 9:49 AM

MacDailyNews crunched some numbers when the market closed yesterday and found that Apple's market value is now worth more than Intel and Microsoft combined.

Here's where everything closed:

Microsoft (MSFT): $201.59 billion
Intel (INTC): $115.21 billion
Apple (AAPL): $317.60 billion
Add "Wintel" up and that comes to $316.8 billion versus Apple's $317.6.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/appl...l-and-microsoft-combined-2011-6#ixzz1OM0b2qUU

burmafrd

Reaction score
Which just goes to show you how messed up things are. Microsoft OWNS the PC world; Apple is a bit player. Right now they are flying high but then Apple tends to do that once every ten years or so. Yet supposedly now Apple is worth more than Microsoft.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
burmafrd;3966556 said:
Which just goes to show you how messed up things are. Microsoft OWNS the PC world; Apple is a bit player. Right now they are flying high but then Apple tends to do that once every ten years or so. Yet supposedly now Apple is worth more than Microsoft.

It's not based on computing, in a sense. The IPad is major component, but smart phones, Mp3 players and online music services are synonymous with Apple. Like people say Vaseline instead of petroleum jelly, or Q-Tips instead of cotton swabs, people say iPod instead of Mp3 player and iPhone instead of cell phone.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
burmafrd;3966556 said:
FYI, Microsoft doesn't sell PCs. And Apple's desktop sales account for less than 10% of their revenue. iPhone, iPod and iPad related sales represented 66% of their sales for the 2010 period.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Breakdown of Apple's sales for their fiscal year 2010:

Code:
Net Sales by Product:				
Desktops 						$	6,201	
Portables							11,278	
[B]Total Mac net sales[/B]						17,479	

iPod								8,274	
Other music related products and services 			4,948	
iPhone and related products and services 			25,179	
iPad and related products and services 				4,958	
Peripherals and other hardware 					1,814	
Software, service and other sales 				2,573	

[B]Total net sales[/B]						$	65,225

burmafrd

Reaction score
theogt;3966576 said:
FYI, Microsoft doesn't sell PCs. And Apple's desktop sales account for less than 10% of their revenue. iPhone, iPod and iPad related sales represented 66% of their sales for the 2010 period.

Should have been more clear. their OS owns the PC world. Apple could disapear(and almost has) and no one would really notice after a year or so.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
burmafrd;3966636 said:
Should have been more clear. their OS owns the PC world. Apple could disapear(and almost has) and no one would really notice after a year or so.

You must've missed the article where an Apple product produces the similar neurological effect as a religious experience in their cult, uh brand loyalists.

I will say I've seen more and more tablets running around that aren't iPads, but that's not surprising considering that Apple dominates that market. Eventually competitors will start to creep into the fray.

No one playing any games on them yet though. ;)

Reaction score
Ever since Jobs turned Apple into a company that uses design-driven innovation to push the envelope with products like mp3 players, phones, and now tablets, they're an amazing company. I'm going to keep using my windows OS on my self-built PCs that use Intel processor, and I'll listen to music on my Ipod. It's awfully nice being able to appreciate the products of several different companies and not act like one of them is my favorite team. :laugh2:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
burmafrd;3966636 said:
Dude, you're about two decades late with this argument.