Archer: Cowboys 53-man roster projection

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Cowboys 53-man roster projection does not include a 2015 starter

Jun 17, 2016
  • i

Todd ArcherESPN Staff Writer
The Dallas Cowboys wrapped up their offseason program Thursday and will open training camp July 28 in Oxnard, California. Here’s a 53-man roster projection:

QUARTERBACKS (3): Tony Romo, Kellen Moore, Dak Prescott

The Cowboys could look for a more veteran backup if Moore does not progress. Jameill Showers faces an uphill battle to stick simply because Prescott was a fourth-round pick.

RUNNING BACKS (3): Ezekiel Elliott, Darren McFadden, Alfred Morris

McFadden’s broken elbow could keep him off the practice field for most of training camp and scuttles any potential trade possibilities. Rookie Darius Jackson, a sixth-round pick, has some skills that might be worth developing, so he could stick as well. Lance Dunbar will open the season on the physically-unable-to-perform list as he comes back from a knee injury.

FULLBACK (1): Rod Smith

Smith makes the team because the Cowboys are light at tailback, where he can fill in, and he can play every special-teams group. He is battling with Keith Smith for the fullback role and it is entirely possible the Cowboys don’t carry one on the 53-man roster going into the season.

WIDE RECEIVER (5): Dez Bryant, Terrance Williams, Cole Beasley, Brice Butler, Lucky Whitehead

I contemplated a sixth receiver (Andy Jones) here, especially with Williams and Butler set to be free agents after the season, but opted against it. Derek Dooley said the core of receivers is as strong as they’ve been since he’s been the coach, so five should be enough.

TIGHT END (4): Jason Witten, James Hanna, Gavin Escobar, Geoff Swaim

Where’s Rico Gathers? He simply has too far to go. I think he’ll be on the practice squad. Why keep four tight ends? Escobar, who deserves praise for his rehab from a torn Achilles, is entering the final year of his deal and Swaim can play multiple spots.

OFFENSIVE LINE (9): Tyron Smith, La'el Collins, Travis Frederick, Zack Martin, Doug Free, Joe Looney, Chaz Green, Ronald Leary, Charles Brown

Leary could become trade bait as well, but the Cowboys won’t give him away. He’s a starter and if the Cowboys suffer an injury they would love to have Leary ready to go. I opted to go with Brown as the ninth linemen right now because Green still has a long way to go.

DEFENSIVE LINE (9): David Irving, Tyrone Crawford, Cedric Thornton, Benson Mayowa, Terrell McClain, Jack Crawford, Charles Tapper, Ryan Russell, Maliek Collins

Randy Gregory is not listed because he will miss the first four games because of a suspension. DeMarcus Lawrence is not listed because he is facing the same penalty, but the NFL has not ruled on his appeal. This group is thin. I could see the Cowboys adding two or three players before the final cuts to bolster the group even if it would just be for the first month. Russell has the most to gain. If he can gain the coaches’ confidence, he could stick but I don’t think he enters camp as a lock even if he worked with the first team in the spring

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...er-projection-does-not-include-a-2015-starter