News: Archer: What 3-1 would mean for the Cowboys

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IRVING, Texas -- Getting to 3-1 on a young NFL season is no means to celebrate, but it’s been a hard record for the Dallas Cowboys to achieve in recent years.

“Since I’ve been here we’ve had shots to go 3-1 and we’ve had some tough losses,” said linebacker Sean Lee, who joined the Cowboys in 2010. “We have to find a way to build that consistency and we understand that it’s building throughout the year and stacking games together is what the great teams do. That’s what we have to do.”

“You’re only worried about yourself but this is when you get separation,” tight end Jason Witten said. “We’ve found ourselves the past two years playing for divisions in Week 17 but you always look back and say, ‘If we had that one,’ or ‘If we had that game early on in the season.’ That’s the way it always is. Every team has that. We’re just trying to create an atmosphere and a mindset of, ‘Let’s go do that.’ I think we’re all tired of talking and we know the results have got to happen. It’s not anything we can just say. We’ve got to see the results.”

More: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4715892/what-3-1-would-mean-for-the-cowboys

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Before the season began I really thought this team had a chance to start the season 4-0. But I'll take 3-1.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
all 3-1 means is we have a chance at 4-1. Long ways to go in the NFL just go out and play and let your record speak for itself

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
litmus test game.

The danger is putting too much pressure on a single game. This season is a marathon, not a sprint. The team needs to stack wins, but if they take an L, then better an AFC team than an NFC team.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
The danger is putting too much pressure on a single game. This season is a marathon, not a sprint. The team needs to stack wins, but if they take an L, then better an AFC team than an NFC team.

This is 100% true, but I hope the team doesn't see it that way. Division and Conference games are always more important than out-of-conference games, a fact that I would think that the Eagles are definitely pointing out and the Commanders and Giants probably do too.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The thing that ticks me off about that article is that he doesn't say what 3-1 means...

To me, 2-2 means a LOT more than 3-1. 2-2 means this team is still wildly inconsistent, and probably doesn't have the fortitude to be a serious contender. 3-1 means its still possible.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is 100% true, but I hope the team doesn't see it that way. Division and Conference games are always more important than out-of-conference games, a fact that I would think that the Eagles are definitely pointing out and the Commanders and Giants probably do too.

Well, if you read the quotes by Jason and Sean, then I'm sure they're all about winning as many games as possible regardless of division and conference. They've got to win these if only so they don't have to worry about tiebreakers and whatnot towards the end of the season.

As a fan, I'm focused on the end goal which is getting to the playoffs...and I know that the past couple years, those tiebreakers and whatnot always came into play.

dallasdave

Reaction score
To start the season 3-1 would be mean we our on the right track to win the division.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Going 3-1 in each of sept and oct should be the goal.

6-2 going into romo's best month could get us over the hump at the end of the year.

I think we are going to beat Washington in three weeks, this chargers game is almost a must. The Denver game is a wild card. Philly Detroit games are going to be very difficult.

If we can get through them this team will be on its way.