Are backpacks allowed on planes?

TheCowboy

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've been on a plane and I will have to fly to Denton for UNT Orientation on June 17th. In my backpack I would have my laptop, wireless mouse and a flash drive. I'm not sure if that is allowed as a carry on. My actual suitcase would have an extra pair of shoes, clothing, and a pillow hopefully if it will fit. I have to get toiletry items there and then I have to do it all over again when I officially move in in August. By the way, orientation is only 3 days and 2 nights. Thanks

JBond

Reaction score
Yes you can take that stuff on the plane. They make you prove it is all working electronics, so have them ready at security. Try to avoid guns and explosives.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCowboy;4990888 said:
It's been a while since I've been on a plane and I will have to fly to Denton for UNT Orientation on June 17th. In my backpack I would have my laptop, wireless mouse and a flash drive. I'm not sure if that is allowed as a carry on. My actual suitcase would have an extra pair of shoes, clothing, and a pillow hopefully if it will fit. I have to get toiletry items there and then I have to do it all over again when I officially move in in August. By the way, orientation is only 3 days and 2 nights. Thanks
Yes, that's all fine on a plane. When you go through security, you will need to remove the laptop and place it in its own bin to go through the scanning device separately from your other things.

Keep any toiletries in your checked baggage. No need to bring them on the plane and you don't have to worry about what liquids they'll allow you to carry.

JBond;4990892 said:
Yes you can take that stuff on the plane. They make you prove it is all working electronics, so have them ready at security. Try to avoid guns and explosives.
I've never heard of anyone having to prove a laptop is a working electronic device.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I've had to turn my laptops on more than once to prove it works. Not lately though.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
theogt;4990914 said:
Yes, that's all fine on a plane. When you go through security, you will need to remove the laptop and place it in its own bin to go through the scanning device separately from your other things.

Keep any toiletries in your checked baggage. No need to bring them on the plane and you don't have to worry about what liquids they'll allow you to carry.

I've never heard of anyone having to prove a laptop is a working electronic device.

:lmao2:

Yeah, me either

I've flown with my laptop, an xbox, tablets, external HDs, and just about every other sort of electronic.

Never once have they asked if it works. They just want it put into a bin of it's own.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;4990914 said:

They USED to do that. I remember going through security once with a discman and the security guy made me turn it on prove it was functional. The batteries were dead at the time, so he ended up just waving me through.

I'm sure they still do that in some countries, or maybe really small domestic airports.

As far as the backpack - You can usually get away with a backpack AND carry on, especially if you have your laptop in the backpack. They pretty much always let women bring on large purses along with their carry on, so I guess they can't say no to backpacks unless they said no to purses as well.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
FYI, backpack does NOT count as a "carry on" item.

It's a "personal item" so long as it can fit underneath your seat. I pack a small travel suitcase and a backpack and I'm good to go.

I don't take toiletries at all because it's a pain in the butt to have to bring those out of your pack in order for them to eyeball them.

I just buy all that stuff on the other end. Toothpaste, deodorant, and whatever else. Usually costs just as much as you would spend had you checked a bag and you don't have to wait around for luggage.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
TheCount;4990964 said:
They USED to do that. I remember going through security once with a discman and the security guy made me turn it on prove it was functional. The batteries were dead at the time, so he ended up just waving me through.

I'm sure they still do that in some countries, or maybe really small domestic airports.

As far as the backpack - You can usually get away with a backpack AND carry on, especially if you have your laptop in the backpack. They pretty much always let women bring on large purses along with their carry on, so I guess they can't say no to backpacks unless they said no to purses as well.

Should have read your post first.

I've never had problems with this. I always have the small suitcase and a backpack.

They always want to look in my backpack, I guess because I have all sorts of wires and stuff in it. When I flew over the holidays I was taking two Furminator dog brushes in my backpack. I scored a handful of them for a crazy price (like $4 when retail is like $60) so I took some back to give to people I knew who have dogs. The lady was like, "sir, there's something in your bag we would like to see". She pulls out two dog brushes and gives the all clear to the guy at the scanner. Suppose I could have cornered a stewardess and styled her hair into submission before making my ransom demands.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
Thank you all for the help. When I do move in August I wonder if I can try to fit as much stuff as I can in the book bag and still be able to have a carry on bag. I need all the room.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
TheCowboy;4991087 said:
Thank you all for the help. When I do move in August I wonder if I can try to fit as much stuff as I can in the book bag and still be able to have a carry on bag. I need all the room.

If you're willing to smash it under the seat you should be good.

JBond

Reaction score
theogt;4990914 said:

KCI uses private security. Non TSA. It seems to be random. Sometimes they do and sometimes not.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
TheCowboy;4990888 said:

...allowed on planes.

As someone said just put it into a separate inspection bin at the security check in line.

For liquids like toiletries. If it doesn't fit in a bottle 4 oz or less don't take it. Just buy new stuff at the desitnation.

If you do have toiletries less than 4 oz get a clear plastic bag (ziploc) and put the ziploc in the top of your backpack. When you arrive at check out take the clear bag out and place it in the bin. Security can then see visually that it is small liquids.

Check your airline carrier's website for dimension and weight restrictions. Get your tape measure out.

I travel a lot and I am cautious about staying within the rules. Many of the security people at major US airports know me by name now and I tend to breeze through lineups.

No security person wants to make your life miserable. You just need to keep within the guidelines for items and dimensions. Your backpack will be fine.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
JBond;4991348 said:
KCI uses private security. Non TSA. It seems to be random. Sometimes they do and sometimes not.
Interesting. I didn't realize TSA was optional. Or I never noticed security wasn't TSA.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
theogt;4992691 said:
Interesting. I didn't realize TSA was optional. Or I never noticed security wasn't TSA.

Yeah, they have a weird setup.

Basically the whole thing is a giant terminal and every 3 or 4 gates or so has it's own scanner.

Little different than having the ticketing area and baggage claim and then having to go through security to get to the terminal.

Usually pretty quick operation though.

brucekr

Reaction score
Only time I've ever had a problem with a backpack and carry-on was traveling international, especially Air Canada. They are almost **** about it. Seems like I had a minor issue on my trip to Singapore in October flying Delta, but for some reason, I just can't remember exactly what the deal was.