Are bye weeks randomly determined? Dallas just had Week 3 in 03 and Week 4 in 04.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Seems a little unfair to have a bye week in week 3 this year when the Cowboys just had one in 2003, and a week 4 bye week in 2004. Does the league randomly pick which teams have bye weeks? Seems they should circulate it and let the other 31 teams have week 3 before they put the Cowboys back there. I think having bye weeks mid-season really helps playoff contenders heal and get ready for the stretch run. I wish the NFL had a better system for picking bye weeks.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Seems a little unfair to have a bye week in week 3 this year when the Cowboys just had one in 2003, and a week 4 bye week in 2004. Does the league randomly pick which teams have bye weeks? Seems they should circulate it and let the other 31 teams have week 3 before they put the Cowboys back there. I think having bye weeks mid-season really helps playoff contenders heal and get ready for the stretch run. I wish the NFL had a better system for picking bye weeks.
I have often thought the same thing. If they can't have a better formula, then do away with the entire thing. :banghead:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ours is usually early. I think the league is more likely to give it to us or Det early. because of the TH game we get a 10 day break later in the year - and I think many teams see that as an advantage since we don't travel for the TH game.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
I have often thought the same thing. If they can't have a better formula, then do away with the entire thing.

We and Det aren't part of the "formula" because of the Thanksgiving game.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
abersonc said:
ours is usually early. I think the league is more likely to give it to us or Det early. because of the TH game we get a 10 day break later in the year - and I think many teams see that as an advantage since we don't travel for the TH game.

I think Detroit has proven that it ain't that big of an advantage.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whoever is responsible for giving us these early bye weeks should be forced to wear a Cowboy TO jersey in Philly when we play there.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
abersonc said:
We and Det aren't part of the "formula" because of the Thanksgiving game.
Doesn't make since. Because we play on Thanksgiving, we are expected to have an early bye?

If it was an "advantage", why do we have to play 2 games in 5 days at Thanksgiving? To be an "advantage", why not give us and Detriot our byes the Sunday before Thanksgiving?

MONT17

Reaction score
take a deeper look... when the Boys have the 3 game ROAD TRIP every team they play is coming off or going on their BYE week! I think they play a Total of 4 teams off BYEs in the first half!

a little added touch the schedule makers gave the Titans 1 home game (v the Boys) sandwich between 4 road games...

if the Boys go 5-3 first half they will win the SUPERBOWL! But then again with all of these early battles v. fresh teams the Vets may wear down by Turkey day!!!

Gibby!

Pom Pom Waving Shill
Reaction score
Team wise the early bye sucks. Personnaly I like it, means I get the weekend off from being glued to the tv all day sunday over with early and can enjoy the rest of the season knowing that I get to watch the boys play :).

AbeBeta

Reaction score
MONT17 said:
take a deeper look... when the Boys have the 3 game ROAD TRIP every team they play is coming off or going on their BYE week! I think they play a Total of 4 teams off BYEs in the first half!

but isn't it true that teams coming off byes have records that are equal to or a little worse than those who are coming off normal weeks?

vicjagger

Reaction score
Remember this little ditty:

Schedulemaker Man will always screw Dallas when he can.

A few years ago, I can't remember exactly when (03?), Dallas played 7 games against teams the week after they had their bye. One other team had 4 such games and no other team in the NFL had any more than 2 such disadvantages (IIRC).