Are Jerry and Mac oldest Coach/GM Combo in NFL history?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I couldn’t find a quick Google answer. Results below. :oldcouple:
  • Jerry Jones - GM Dallas Cowboys, 81 years old.
  • Mike McCarthy - HC Dallas Cowboys, 60 years old

Some current duos:
  • Cincinnati Bengals
    • GM Mike Brown, 88
    • HC Zac Taylor, 40
  • Kansas City Chiefs
    • GM Brett Veach, 46
    • HC Andy Reid, 65
  • Baltimore Ravens
    • GM Eric DeCosta, 52
      • Ozzie Newsome stepped down to VP, 67
    • HC John Harbaugh, 61
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    • GM Jason Licht, 52
    • HC Todd Bowles, 60
Recent duos:
  • New England Patriots
    • GM/HC Bill Belichick, 72
  • Seattle Seahawks
    • GM John Schneider, 52
    • HC Pete Carroll, 71
Past duos:
  • Dallas Cowboys
    • GM Tex Schramm, 68
    • HC Tom Landry, 64
  • Cincinnati Bengals
    • GM Paul Brown, 81
    • HC Sam Wyche, 45
  • Buffalo Bills
    • GM John Butler, 51
    • HC Marc Levy, 72
  • Chicago Bears
    • GM/HC George Halas, 72
  • MiamI Dolphins
    • GM/HC Don Shula, 65

Answers:
  • Currently:
    • YES. Mike Brown and his 88 years still isn’t enough since the Bengals have one of the league’s youngest coaches. Does Brown have his version of Stephen Jones and Will McClay?
  • All-Time:
    • NO and YES. Belichick and George Halas as both GM/HC had more age if they were two people. If both roles are separate, unless I’m missing a lesser known older GM/Coach, they still hold the crown.
  • Cowboys:
    • YES. Older than Landry/Schramm combined which is ironic since Jerry was the one who decided to clean house on the old organization being outdated.
      We all get there ourselves, eventually.
:oldcouple: :oldcouple: :oldcouple:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Other than the Browns, all these guys retreated, demoted themselves, or stepped back well before 80.

Although one could say Jerry has too with Stephen & Will operating a lot more these days.

What’s wrong with retreating to Team President/Owner like most of these family franchises and living out rest of your life in the luxury box?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I couldn’t find a quick Google answer. Results below. :oldcouple:
  • Jerry Jones - GM Dallas Cowboys, 81 years old.
  • Mike McCarthy - HC Dallas Cowboys, 60 years old

Some current duos:
  • Cincinnati Bengals
    • GM Mike Brown, 88
    • HC Zac Taylor, 40
  • Kansas City Chiefs
    • GM Brett Veach, 46
    • HC Andy Reid, 65
  • Baltimore Ravens
    • GM Eric DeCosta, 52
      • Ozzie Newsome stepped down to VP, 67
    • HC John Harbaugh, 61
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    • GM Jason Licht, 52
    • HC Todd Bowles, 60
Recent duos:
  • New England Patriots
    • GM/HC Bill Belichick, 72
  • Seattle Seahawks
    • GM John Schneider, 52
    • HC Pete Carroll, 71
Past duos:
  • Dallas Cowboys
    • GM Tex Schramm, 68
    • HC Tom Landry, 64
  • Cincinnati Bengals
    • GM Paul Brown, 81
    • HC Sam Wyche, 45
  • Buffalo Bills
    • GM John Butler, 51
    • HC Marc Levy, 72
  • Chicago Bears
    • GM/HC George Halas, 72
  • MiamI Dolphins
    • GM/HC Don Shula, 65

Answers:
  • Currently:
    • YES. Mike Brown and his 88 years still isn’t enough since the Bengals have one of the league’s youngest coaches. Does Brown have his version of Stephen Jones and Will McClay?
  • All-Time:
    • NO and YES. Belichick and George Halas as both GM/HC had more age if they were two people. If both roles are separate, unless I’m missing a lesser known older GM/Coach, they still hold the crown.
  • Cowboys:
    • YES. Older than Landry/Schramm combined which is ironic since Jerry was the one who decided to clean house on the old organization being outdated.
      We all get there ourselves, eventually.
:oldcouple: :oldcouple: :oldcouple:
And this is important because........

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
And this is important because........
You’ll thank me when you’re at trivia night at the bar one day.

Age doesn’t mean mediocrity, but in a burnout league that is also always evolving, it does mean something.

There is a country-wide dialogue right now on Jerry’s age and if it can meet its demands, but it will bring up that ’P-Word’ so will stay away from that one.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’ll thank me when you’re at trivia night at the bar one day.

Age doesn’t mean mediocrity, but in a burnout league that is also always evolving, it does mean something.

There is a country-wide dialogue right now on Jerry’s age and if it can meet its demands, but it will bring up that ’P-Word’ so will stay away from that one.
Check Al Davis

bysbox1

Reaction score
wow oldest current gm+hc and oldest two people combo ever

and also dumbest combo in nfl history too

jerry is #1 in every thing but winning a super bowl with out getting carry by jimmy johnson
Winning a Super Bowl? They can't even win in the playoffs.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Other than the Browns, all these guys retreated, demoted themselves, or stepped back well before 80.

Although one could say Jerry has too with Stephen & Will operating a lot more these days.

What’s wrong with retreating to Team President/Owner like most of these family franchises and living out rest of your life in the luxury box?
Jerry's ego never retreats

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Check Al Davis
I knew I was forgetting someone, thanks!

Yeah, I believe Al Davis went to 80 something.

He had a young Gruden, Tom Flores was probably in his 40s-50s? That one year he had Art Shell as HC could possibly compete.

Peas in a pod. I made the comment yesterday in another thread that Jerry might as well get himself a blue jumpsuit.

image-placeholder-title.webp

Reactions: JPM

kwcool619

Reaction score
Mike Brown, age 88, finally got with program in Cincinnati. Bengals now have Joe Burrow, Mixon, Chase, Higgins, Hendriksen, Hubbard, Wilson. And went to a Super Bowl 2 years ago. The Brown family used to be tight with the money. Jerry will do Jerry.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Mike Brown, age 88, finally got with program in Cincinnati. Bengals now have Joe Burrow, Mixon, Chase, Higgins, Hendriksen, Hubbard, Wilson. And went to a Super Bowl 2 years ago. The Brown family used to be tight with the money. Jerry will do Jerry.
Honestly, those guys are my only hope now that we will one day have a SB again.

I look at Mike Brown. Bengals were the laughing stock of the NFL for a long time, but now suddenly on the rebound. Reading about it, looks like Brown stepped down a little, kept GM in title only, and let others run it. Of course, they have that great young Coach over there too and a 1st round franchise QB. Must be nice.

Or I look at Al Davis who was also a laughing stock for a long time after he lost Flores. But then miraculously they had that quick rebound where they went to the SB. Unfortunately got their arse beat by the Bucs, and quickly went back to mediocrity, but at least they got back to the big game.

Brown and Al Davis are the best comparisons to our situation these days, so if they can come back, so can we. One day.....

Something that helped both those guys was a legit franchise QB. Burrow we all know about. Raiders had the luck to find Gannon and have him turn in some fantastic last years of his career. They also both had 2 young power coaches. (Raiders had Gruden) So we're not on a good path yet. LOL