Are the owners and players...well playing us here ?

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
All this hype on who get the largest piece of the billion dollar pie...The owners or the players. Is this all a ruse put on by the players and owners together ?

just to get more ticket/TV and endorsement money from...

Us the fans ?

Conspiracy theory here...lol.

Upshaw and Tags are sitting back now drinking $1000 bottles of cognac while us fans are frustrated and waiting for a resolution to this.

So, when the players get more money in the end, the owners will jack up ticket prices, tv rights and clothing apparell...heck, maybe even DirectTV is invloved too.

Who will pay my friends...the consumers.

Well, they better make their money soon. I may start up a football leauge of my own. I'll use robots (Like they did in that old Jetsons cartoon). No players to pay. I'll hire programmers instead of coach's. Make the whole thing interactive with voting like American idol...Voting will determine the plays called ($1 a vote).

Top notch robotic engineers will become the craze. I'll probably have to set it up like NASCAR with restrictions on robot body styles and internals (Like NASCAR again).

Best of all I'd make the season last 11 months !

I'm telling ya, they are all in it together.

superpunk

Reaction score
ka50_5.jpg

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Jarv said:
So, when the players get more money in the end, the owners will jack up ticket prices, tv rights and clothing apparell...heck, maybe even DirectTV is invloved too.

Well, the problem is, no matter how much money league makes, the problem right now is how much of that share do the Players get? I.e. in terms of percentage and not dollar amount.

I think Players are asking too much, since most owners now, the new guys anyway, have lot of loans to pay off. Thats especially a problem I think for the small market owners, who have limited opportunity to make money. So giving more the share of common revenue, leaves less of the pot for them and their debts.

From what I have gathered, its more of the small market owners that don't want the higher percentage of money going to Players and not the big market teams, like papers seem to be reporting. And consequently, Big Market teams don't want to be bailing out the small market ones by giving more of their money in the pool or bailing out the small market ones.

Either way, Players seem to be asking for significant raise. But what I don't get is, instead of that, Gene Upshaw probably should go for Guranteed money instead of pooled money. Now I don't know, maybe thats the part of the new deal, wherein, when you sign a contract, its not just the Signing bonus thats guranteed, but even the salary like other leagues do.

Bottom line, its players that will loose out on this eventually. Hockey proved it, especially when most fans have affinity to teams not players in this current state of league.