Are we changing our offensive philosophy for 2006?

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
If we acquire TO, plus keep Key and Glenn, I think not changing to a pass happy offense with a gunslinger like Bledsoe will be a travesty of epic proportions. Throw in Witten's pass catching ability and the fact our top RB has been injury prone so far, and it seems like a good idea anyway.

We need better pass blocking schemes for sure.

A healthy Rivera & Flo will help. I also look for marked improvement at C and RT given the experience they gained. (Go ahead and flame away.)

I proud of you hostile, you just referred to Drew as a gunslinger. :bow:

But yes without protection, it would be a disaster indeed!

Silverstar

Reaction score
I think Dallas will remain a run-first offense. We have two very good RB's and our OL should improve...it better!

However, a position that is quickly becoming extinct in the power running game is the FB. A good FB will go a long way in establishing a run-first offense. A big, hard-nosed FB running up the gut will open more lanes for Jones than any blocking TE could.

Several good FB's are on the market right now and any hesitation on these type of players, could cost us dearly when FA starts IMO.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
I proud of you hostile, you just referred to Drew as a gunslinger. :bow:

But yes without protection, it would be a disaster indeed!
My day is made.

:scram:

neosapien23

Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
That's an astute observation young grasshopper, but then again since we have one of the best passing QB's of all time would it really surprise you if this philosophical shift in offense comes to fruition?

I for one would love to see our new offensive coordinator succeed where Payton failed at times...and that's pass first, ask questions later. Bledsoe is a downfield assassin and we need to build around his strengths especially if we are looking to win NOW. Drew is capable of having huge games with the right protection up front. This is why I'm all for signing TO or another big name receiver to add to Drew's arsenal. :bow:

What are you talking about? Payton is a pass first coach. Did you ever see his play calling in New York? He was a little bit handcuffed by both Parcells and the non existant offensive line.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Bledsoe's record $100m deal

New England Patriots have handed Drew Bledsoe the largest contract in NFL history.

Bledsoe will soon be a very rich man

Bledsoe has agreed to a 10-year $103m contract which surpasses the $100m contract signed by Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre last Friday.

"I've expressed over and over again my desire to play my entire career with the New England Patriots," said Bledsoe.

"It looks like that is a very real possibility." In his second season in the NFL, quarterback Bledsoe threw an NFL-record 691 passes.

He completed 400 for 4,555 yards.

In 1995, he was the youngest quarterback to reach 10,000 yards.

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
Nors said:
Bledsoe's record $100m deal

New England Patriots have handed Drew Bledsoe the largest contract in NFL history.

Bledsoe will soon be a very rich man

Bledsoe has agreed to a 10-year $103m contract which surpasses the $100m contract signed by Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre last Friday.

"I've expressed over and over again my desire to play my entire career with the New England Patriots," said Bledsoe.

"It looks like that is a very real possibility." In his second season in the NFL, quarterback Bledsoe threw an NFL-record 691 passes.

He completed 400 for 4,555 yards.

In 1995, he was the youngest quarterback to reach 10,000 yards.

:worthy2: :clap: :bravo: :repost:

burmafrd

Reaction score
There was a very good reason why we stopped going deep later in the season: by the time even a burner like Glenn got deep BLedsoe was already on his back or going down. The D knew they could get to him, so they could afford to cover Terry tight gambling that they could get to bledsoe before Glenn could break free. And it worked. Simple as that.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Silverstar said:
I think Dallas will remain a run-first offense. We have two very good RB's and our OL should improve...it better!

However, a position that is quickly becoming extinct in the power running game is the FB. A good FB will go a long way in establishing a run-first offense. A big, hard-nosed FB running up the gut will open more lanes for Jones than any blocking TE could.

Several good FB's are on the market right now and any hesitation on these type of players, could cost us dearly when FA starts IMO.

Well FB is an important position to some teams. I do not think it is a huge need for the Cowboys however. The type of back u have determines if u need a full back. JJ seems to run better in space, so to enhance that, you need to spread the D out,, not run in power run formations. On the other side, Emmit needed Moose, because of his style of running. I think this is pretty evident when JJ best play is the lead draw and not 3 and 1 going up the middle. jmo

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
I get the strange feeling that Dallas is changing the offensive philosopy for 2006. In 2005 we executed a run-first scheme (i.e. using the run to set up the pass). But with Payton gone and rumors of losing Campbell - the perfect TE to have in a run-first offense - is it possible such developments are indicative of Dallas moving to a pass-first offense, with more focus on receiving TE's, backs out of the backfield, and marquee WR's? And could this be why so many insiders are pegging Dallas as the suiter to land TO?

I know all of this is speculative, but if you connect these pieces together, all indications are that Dallas will likely move to a pass-first scheme. Regardless of the TO saga (becasue I don't want this to turn into another wasted TO thread) would you be in favor of Dallas changing to a pass-first offense?

Personally I dont care WHICH philosophy they use offensively... as long as it involves scoring TD's! I would like to have atleast 21pts per game.

I would be ok with 17-28pts.. in that ballpark. Is that asking too much?