Aren't you a little curious about EJ Whitley?

DLCassidy

Reaction score
7th rounders in the past 3 years

Pat McQuistan
EJ Whitley

Jay Ratliff

Nate Jones
Patrick Crayton
Jacques Reeves

Whitley was considered a project that was a bit of a longshot to make the team but has experience at every position on the line at Texas Tech. His knee injury was unfortunate because he's a player that needed to get stronger. Not sure when he'll be ready to lift weights. But based on our recent track record don't you kind of wonder whether we could have something with this guy sight unseen? This whole McQuistan thing has got me thinking Dallas may be 7th round gurus.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I liked Whitley after reading about him, he sounds like an athletic guy who can move out there, he'll be working on his upper body while recovering from his injury, the next step would to recover, and start working on his lower body, which might set him back some, but I like his potential

rickster14

Reaction score
I think I read that Whitley was going to get a shot at C. With his injury happening so early, he should be able to start lifting at least by the end of the season.

My hope would be that he shows enough talent and gets big enough to be the #2 C when we get rid of either Johnson or Gurode after the season.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Darn right I'm curious. He sounds at least like a good utility backup who can play several positions. IIRC he was another very smart lineman in college, and he should be able to run a little. I just wonder if Parcells will think he's big enough since, like you say, he won't be able to lift for a while.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
rickster14 said:
My hope would be that he shows enough talent and gets big enough to be the #2 C when we get rid of either Johnson or Gurode after the season.

Given that both have played very well during TC and pre-season, why exactly would we want to get rid of one of them?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Did his injury happen at the Rookie mini-camp or the first full mini-camp? Either way it was May or June so he should be able to lift throughout most of the next offseason. He should be able to work his upper body a lot and get at least enough work on his lower body to get back to where he was...hopefully more. It will be interesting to keep an eye on him next year.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Given that both have played very well during TC and pre-season, why exactly would we want to get rid of one of them?

I don't think Johnson will be back. His rookie deal is over this year and he may have a market for far more than we're willing to pay a backup, if that's what he turns out to be.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He'll probably get the same treatment as that TE we drafted out of Virginia Tech a couple of years ago.

Slowakowski I believe was his name.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
I don't think Johnson will be back. His rookie deal is over this year and he may have a market for far more than we're willing to pay a backup, if that's what he turns out to be.

Folks said that about Gurode last year too.

I do still think that we'll see Johnson take a large number of snaps at center this year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
abersonc said:

I do still think that we'll see Johnson take a large number of snaps at center this year.

I agree that I think Johnson will return next season but I hope we are not rotating centers, that tends to lead to fumbled snaps and it is very common to see that when a new center enters in the middle of a game.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
abersonc said:

That's possible. Although the situations are different in that Gurode was a primary backup at guard also last year. IMO it would have been a surprise if he weren't brought back since our interior depth was poor. But don't forget Gurode is on a one year deal also. Something will give at the end of the end of the year and they both won't be back. Based on early returns I think that someone is Johnson.

rickster14

Reaction score
abersonc said:

I could be wrong, but Gurode will be a UFA after the year and I think Johnson might be a RFA. If there is an inexspensive alternative at #2 C, we may not keep both.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
rickster14 said:
I could be wrong, but Gurode will be a UFA after the year and I think Johnson might be a RFA. If there is an inexspensive alternative at #2 C, we may not keep both.

no, both are UFA.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JackMagist said:
Did his injury happen at the Rookie mini-camp or the first full mini-camp? Either way it was May or June so he should be able to lift throughout most of the next offseason. He should be able to work his upper body a lot and get at least enough work on his lower body to get back to where he was...hopefully more. It will be interesting to keep an eye on him next year.

What I was intrigued with was that he was reportly very good in pass protection and that it was his run blocking and overall strength that were an issue. I thought he had an opportunity to back up at both guard and center at some point.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
7th rounders in the past 3 years

Pat McQuistan
EJ Whitley

Jay Ratliff

Nate Jones
Patrick Crayton
Jacques Reeves

Whitley was considered a project that was a bit of a longshot to make the team but has experience at every position on the line at Texas Tech. His knee injury was unfortunate because he's a player that needed to get stronger. Not sure when he'll be ready to lift weights. But based on our recent track record don't you kind of wonder whether we could have something with this guy sight unseen? This whole McQuistan thing has got me thinking Dallas may be 7th round gurus.

they were going work him at center.

sago1

Reaction score
understand Whitely was smart player who could play ALL OL positions. He was told by Parcells that he would be playing at guard and center. Since both Gurode & Johnson contracts run out end of this season, I assume Cowboys will ante up soon after regular season begins up to ensure Gurode remains a Cowboy. As a backup center (unless we remain uncertain about Gurode) I doubt we prepared give Johnson the starter money he wants, so he probably will look elsewhere for starter job/money.

I think Whitely got hurt in June minicamp & should certainly be well enough to participate fully in offseason weight conditioning program. I wouldn't be surprised if Whitely is the backup to Gurode in 07 & also the backup to Kosier & Riveria (along with Proctor) in his first year but in 2nd year & beyond Whitely might also be a valuable utility player at all OL positions for years down the road. Of course Whitely may have the size, smarts and toughness to challenge Gurode as the starter if Gurode's play becomes inconsistent.

Hiero

Reaction score
could be a valuable backup since he can play C/G. he probably would need a year of conditioning anyways so we'll see next year