Army researchers seek 'new shield' for Captain America

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
How to protect the men and women who protect us?
American soldiers are killed or injured every year from an ever-changing array of battlefield threats, which has our nation's military busy looking for new ways to keep them safe. Now the U.S. Army is tapping the expertise of the nation's top academic researchers to help develop better armor for our troops.

The Army has given $90 million to Johns Hopkins University, which is leading a team of researchers at Rutgers University, the University of Delaware and the California Institute of Technology, along with private companies and the military, to revolutionize the way protective armor is designed. The goal: to reduce the weight of body armor by 30 percent, while making it 50 percent more efficient.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Get fusion power working, then use it's power to create energy and phase shielding! :)

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4748908 said:
Get fusion power working, then use it's power to create energy and phase shielding! :)

I know just the right place to put you to work! :)

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Spectre Shield has been around for years. Much stronger than Kevlar, a little lighter. Problem is cost. Kevlar is made by interfacial extrusion in pretty dang big vats that can be continually resupplied.

Spectre is made in 'bread boxes' a few pounds at a time.

I do realize they're concentrating on the ceramics part of it, but it's worth mentioning anyhow.