Army Withheld Details of Tillman's Death

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Report: Army Withheld Details of Tillman's Death

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

WASHINGTON — Army officials knew within days of Pat Tillman's (search) death that the former NFL player had been killed by fellow Rangers during a patrol in Afghanistan but did not inform his family and the public for weeks, The Washington Post reported.

A new Army report shows that Gen. John P. Abizaid (search), the theater commander in Afghanistan, and other top Army officials were aware an investigation had determined the death was caused by an act of "gross negligence" four days before a nationally televised memorial service, the Post reported after reviewing nearly 2,000 pages of documents it had obtained.

Tillman, 27, turned down a multimillion-dollar contract with the Arizona Cardinals (search) to join the Army after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. He was taking cover behind a boulder along a canyon road near the Pakistani border when a firefight erupted at twilight on April 22, 2004.

The Post reported on its online edition Tuesday night that troops on the scene said they were immediately sure Tillman was killed by a barrage of American bullets.

The documents show that officers erroneously reported that Tillman was killed by enemy fire, destroyed critical evidence and initially concealed the truth from his brother, also an Army Ranger, who was near the attack, the Post reported.

The memorial service in San Jose, Calif., took place May 3, 2004. The Army announced May 29 that Tillman likely died because of friendly fire.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Friendly fire happens. To me a total non issue. In their defense they have to sort the facts out before reporting. The kids a hero.

peacockaja

Reaction score
Nors said:
Friendly fire happens. To me a total non issue. In their defense they have to sort the facts out before reporting. The kids a hero.

I agree with you here nors. it dosent matter if he was killed by friendly fire or by enemy fire to turn down a contract worth millions to play a sport u have played most of your life you are a true American Hero.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
Tillman's death was a sad and needless tragedy. While I'm sure he was a decent human being, his death was preventable and I'm hoping that these kinds of senseless sacrifices will end soon.

Hoov

Reaction score
well, i can see why they didn't disclose everything right away, media would have probably went off with all kinds of unnecessary speculations.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Nors said:

It is somewhat of an issue. Nothing changes that Tillman served admirably and unfortunatley was killed and indeed is a hero. What matters is that some in leadership positions need to be held accountable for their false reports. They didn't sort out their facts before reporting.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Princess said:
Report: Army Withheld Details of Tillman's Death

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

WASHINGTON — Army officials knew within days of Pat Tillman's (search) death that the former NFL player had been killed by fellow Rangers during a patrol in Afghanistan but did not inform his family and the public for weeks, The Washington Post reported.

A new Army report shows that Gen. John P. Abizaid (search), the theater commander in Afghanistan, and other top Army officials were aware an investigation had determined the death was caused by an act of "gross negligence" four days before a nationally televised memorial service, the Post reported after reviewing nearly 2,000 pages of documents it had obtained.

Tillman, 27, turned down a multimillion-dollar contract with the Arizona Cardinals (search) to join the Army after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. He was taking cover behind a boulder along a canyon road near the Pakistani border when a firefight erupted at twilight on April 22, 2004.

The Post reported on its online edition Tuesday night that troops on the scene said they were immediately sure Tillman was killed by a barrage of American bullets.

The documents show that officers erroneously reported that Tillman was killed by enemy fire, destroyed critical evidence and initially concealed the truth from his brother, also an Army Ranger, who was near the attack, the Post reported.

The memorial service in San Jose, Calif., took place May 3, 2004. The Army announced May 29 that Tillman likely died because of friendly fire.
The question here is NOT whether Tillman was a hero or not. Tillman is a HERO in every sense of he word! The real question is about the Army commanders "covering up" the truth and even going so far as destroying evidence. THAT'S the real question for me...... :confused:

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Hoov said:
well, i can see why they didn't disclose everything right away, media would have probably went off with all kinds of unnecessary speculations.
There's a difdference between not disclosing evidence and destroying evidence. I wonder why the Army commanders felt it was necessary to destroy evidence? :confused: