ARTICLE: Bengals pick Nicholson, Rouse charged in alleged theft

JonCJG

Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 3:04 p.m. EDT, May 31, 2006

BENGALS DRAFT PICK WANTED FOR BURGLARY

Joe Schad of ESPN.com reports that former Florida State linebacker A.J. Nicholson, selected by the Bengals in the fifth round of the 2006 draft, is wanted for two felonies and a misdemeanor after allegedly stealing $1,700 in electronics equipment from the home of a current Florida State player.

Said a league source in response to the news: "A.J. Nicholson, off most teams' draft boards, a major league turd . . . . Way to go, Marvin."

Both Nicholson and former Seminole receiver Fred Rouse, who was dismissed from the team at the end of the 2005 season, have been charged with burgling the home of running back Lorenzo Booker.

Rouse confessed to the crime on May 28 after a receiving glove with his jersey number stitched into it was found at the scene. (Gee, and we thought he'd gone to FSU on an academic scholarship.) Rouse has implicated Nicholson in the incident, which occurred on May 20.

<FONT face=Georgia><FONT size=3><FONT color=#000000>
<FONT face=Georgia color=#000000 size=3>As one league source told us on April 29 after the Bengals drafted Nicholson and USC defensive end Frostee Rucker, "What the f--- are they doing? Rucker and Nicholson? Give me a break. They are sabotaging the organization by picking bad players like [Odell] Thurman, [Chris] Henry, and those two."<FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Two former Florida State football players have been charged with stealing electronic equipment worth approximately $1,700 from the home of a current player, Tallahassee Police told ESPN on Wednesday.

Cincinnati Bengals linebacker A.J. Nicholson and former wide receiver Fred Rouse, who was dismissed by coach Bobby Bowden at the end of last season for detrimental conduct, are charged with burglarizing the Tallahassee home of current Florida State running back Lorenzo Booker on May 20 or 21.

Rouse confessed his involvement to authorities on May 28, according to police. Rouse was arrested and charged with three felonies: burglary of a dwelling, grand theft and unrelated possessions of a controlled substance without a prescription, which was ecstasy. Rouse has been released on bond.

A warrant is out for the arrest of Nicholson, who faces felony charges of burglary of a dwelling and grand theft and criminal mischief, which is a misdemeanor.

"Obviously, Lorenzo's not really happy that his former teammates, Rouse and Nicholson, did this," Tallahassee Police Public Information Officer John Newland said. "This incident occurred May 20 and A.J. was drafted in April. You knew you were leaving. Why would you put yourself through this? It's just really unfortunate."

A police source said that among the items investigators found at Booker's home was a wide receivers glove with "1," Rouse's former jersey number, stitched into the inside of it. The glove had been left under a color television that had been thrown onto the floor.

Entrance to the home, police said, was made by breaking a rear window. In gaining entry, the suspects appeared to cut themselves as they left blood there and on one of Bookers' roommate's sheets. Police later found drops of blood at the exterior of the home of Nicholson's girlfriend.

In a sworn, taped interview on May 28, Rouse said Nicholson entered the home and carried out two portable stereos, a DVD player and a pair of headphones. Rouse also said Nicholson had sustained a substantial cut on a finger.

Nicholson, who was accused of a sexual assault in Miami and sent home from the Orange Bowl, was selected by the Bengals in the fifth round. Nicholson, who has pleaded no contest to a DUI arrest and had another incident with Tallahassee police that led to dropped charges of resisting arrest, has not been charged in the sexual assault case.

Rouse, one of the nation's top freshman prospects last season, and a native of Tallahassee, had only six catches for 114 yards and one touchdown. Rouse also returned 11 punts for 97 yards and six kickoffs for 107 yards.

Joe Schad is ESPN's college football reporter.

LINK

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
The FSU program is a shell of its' former self...

Bobby Bowden has been signing flat out thugs in trying to get back to top national prominence...

MONT17

Reaction score
its almost as sad as it is funny or vice versa pending your perspective!!!

arglebargle

Reaction score
Rule No. 6 in 'Burglery for Dummies': Do not break in to houses while zonked on Ecstasy or other mind altering drugs....

burmafrd

Reaction score
I guess maybe they think they can become the Raiders of this Century. But more likely that team implodes from all the bad charactors.

PA Cowboy11

Reaction score
If you were an FSU fan like i am along with a die hard Dallas fan you would know that Nicholson has been suspended since December and Rouse was kicked off in January. Don't put it on Bowden.

"A.J. Nicholson was dismissed from the team in December and Fred Rouse was dismissed in January, therefore there will be no comment from FSU officials. In addition, Lorenzo Booker has asked me to release that he does not wish to discuss the matter publicly."

PA Cowboy11

Reaction score
Florida State Assistant Athletic Director and Sports Information Director Rob Wilson issued the following statement about the arrests:

Forgot who it was from

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
PA Cowboy11 said:
If you were an FSU fan like i am along with a die hard Dallas fan you would know that Nicholson has been suspended since December and Rouse was kicked off in January. Don't put it on Bowden.

"A.J. Nicholson was dismissed from the team in December and Fred Rouse was dismissed in January, therefore there will be no comment from FSU officials. In addition, Lorenzo Booker has asked me to release that he does not wish to discuss the matter publicly."

And why was Nicholson kicked off the team in December? Oh, that pesky little alleged rape leading up to the bowl game.

Bowden's graduation rate has always been abysmal. He's recruited thugs and idiots forever. Don't try to defend the U Jr.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
trickblue said:
The FSU program is a shell of its' former self...

Bobby Bowden has been signing flat out thugs in trying to get back to top national prominence...

1st the "Macy's 5-finger discount", now this? damn, how the mighty have fallen

Reaction score
I know AJ's Dad he'a a UNC Alum and resides in Winston. He is so embarrass he has another brother Derek at FSU. The whole thing has been a surprise to the family.

Reaction score
I don't know why, but I never get used to these athletes doing such stupid things. I mean, it makes no sense at all. Even as a 5th rd. pick, Nicholson was due to make over a million dollars his first year. If he had kept his nose clean throughout college, he would have been taken the first day, easy.

I was just looking through my PFW Draft Preview, and it is amazing to me how many dozens of players either were picked way down from where their talent called for, or were not drafted at all. I guess you can take the boy out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the boy.

25-30 years ago, character was an issue for a handfull of possible draftees. Today, every other player has to have his life history gone through by P.I.s with a magnafying glass & fine tooth comb, and then, many incidents don't come out until years later.

What a sad commentary for today's athlete's and the athletic programs of many universities around the country.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
In a sworn, taped interview on May 28, Rouse said Nicholson entered the home and carried out two portable stereos, a DVD player and a pair of headphones. Rouse also said Nicholson had sustained a substantial cut on a finger.

Were they thinking this was The Wiz and there was a midnight madness free for all going on?