Article: Where have all the Good QBs gone?

sago1

Reaction score
Thought you might find below article interesting. Sorry I don't know how to clean up the extra stuff that comes along with it. If somebody knows how to fix this mess, would appreciate your doing so. Thanks.

Where have all the good QBs gone?

On Sept. 23, 2001, I was standing 20 yards from the spot where Mo Lewis delivered the hit on Drew Bledsoe that would bring the NFL to its knees. With Bledsoe bleeding internally and his scarecrow of a backup trotting onto the field, I turned to a credentialed colleague on the Patriots' sideline and said the following:

"Tom Brady? This guy stinks."

He could barely hold off Drew Henson at Michigan, after all. There were reasons Bledsoe was working on a $103 million contract while Brady was getting by on a $298,000 wage. Compromised by a sheared blood vessel, the Patriots appeared booked for a 3-13 season.

Nobody could see Bledsoe in the role of Wally Pipp back then, not even Bill Belichick. But six years later, the old Jets linebacker, Morris "Mo" C. Lewis, represents as significant a reason as any that the quarterback play in today's NFL isn't an unmitigated disaster, a cross between the Hindenburg and the Exxon Valdez.

Lewis and a couple of football men named Dick Rehbein and Jim Hess.

moreTeamsOn_header_left.gif
Busting the bad QB myth
moreTeamsOn_header_right.gif

Quarterback play has never been worse, right? After doing some investigating, it looks like we've all been duped. To read more of Peter Schrager's analysis, click HERE

moreTeamsOn_footer.gif

The quarterbacks coach for the Patriots, Rehbein pushed his employer hard to take Brady with the 199th pick of the 2000 draft.

A college scout for the Cowboys, Hess implored his employer to take a shot on an undrafted free agent out of Eastern Illinois named Tony Romo three years later.

Now close your eyes, remove Brady and Romo from your field on any given Sunday, and what do you see?

I see Peyton Manning and a flowering crisis at quarterback in the NFL.
Which makes absolutely no sense. Quarterback remains a bright-lights, big-bucks proposition, the one job in pro football that offers the kind of guaranteed deals scored by shortstops and shooting guards. The man who occupies that position is almost always the face and voice of the franchise. Long before Romo started appearing with an endless parade of starlets, it was understood that the quarterback always got the girl.

moreTeamsOn_header_left.gif
NFL Roundup
moreTeamsOn_header_right.gif
7435484_36_1.jpg

So why does it seem that the sport
can't find 32 competent players to take the snaps, weather the blitzes and throw the requisite spirals?

OK, injuries have depleted the ranks. Quarterbacks deal with more occupational hazards than their teammates. They are a bruised, battered, oft-concussed lot.

But that can't fully explain the lack of presence, charisma and talent that defines so many starters and regular contributors at that position.

Brooks Bollinger. Joey Harrington. J.P. Losman. Josh McCown. The two-headed mediocrity of the Midway known as Brex Griese-man. Is anyone supposed to get excited about the youth movement switches from Chad Pennington to Kellen Clemens, from Damon Huard to Brodie Croyle? Does the return of Kyle Boller get your blood flowing? How pumped are you about the long-term prospects of Trent Edwards and Cleo Lemon?

Personally, I can't watch another down of football played by Alex Smith. He was only the No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 draft, a bonus baby who commanded a $49.5 million deal. Smith has thrown 193 passes for the 49ers this season, two for touchdowns, leaving him with a quarterback rating of 57.2.

Little help can be offered by the Jurassic set, the Vinny Testaverdes, Kurt Warners and Steve McNairs, dinosaurs one blind-side hit away from extinction. Of course, Brett Favre is still slinging it in Green Bay, padding his Hall of Fame stats. But despite the Packers' record and the weekly images of their Old Man Winter running about with his clenched fists in the air, Favre is still a golfer putting out on the 18th green.

The younger generation of stars? Ben Roethlisberger is approaching his old championship form, and Vince Young is clearly a big-talent keeper. Carson Palmer is one No. 1 overall pick who was worth the investment, but the same can't be said — not yet, anyway — of Eli Manning.

All in all, there just aren't enough very good quarterbacks to go around. And without enough very good quarterbacks, pro football isn't easy on the eyes.

When I watch the NFL these days, I often feel the way I did when I watched the NBA Finals in 1994, the year Michael Jordan went off to play minor-league baseball. Knicks-Rockets was an all-out assault on the senses, a seven-game series with no redeeming aesthetic value.

Defense wins championships and loses something in the process: Pro football is reduced to a sour science when quarterbacks can't move the ball. Maybe defensive coordinators have gotten too smart. Maybe defensive ends and tackles have gotten too big and fast.

Or maybe the people paid to develop and evaluate quarterbacks are doing a lousy job of developing and evaluating them.

Consider that Brady, who might go down among the five greatest quarterbacks of all time, was drafted after the likes of Gio Carmazzi, Chris Redman, Tee Martin and Spergon Wynn.

Consider that Romo, an improvisational genius, didn't rank among the 13 draft-worthy quarterbacks of 2003, a list including Dave Ragone, Brian St. Pierre, Henson and Gibran Hamdan.
So a debt of gratitude is owed to the late Rehbein of the Patriots and the retired Hess of the Cowboys.

Against the grain of conventional wisdom, Rehbein was the one who predicted to his wife, among others, that Brady would someday be the equal of Joe Montana. The Patriots finally called Rehbein's bluff in the sixth round.

Three years later, Hess was selling the merits of a barely known Eastern Illinois quarterback to Bill Parcells in Dallas. Hess had watched Romo at the pre-draft combine. Sean Payton, the Cowboys offensive coordinator at the time, was also impressed by Romo, but there was a catch: Payton was a former quarterback at Eastern Illinois, and some Dallas officials were wondering if this was his idea of an alumni donation.

The Cowboys offered the undrafted Romo $10,000 to sign on Hess's recommendation. And thank heavens they did.

Imagine the NFC without Romo. Imagine the NFL with Brady buried on another team's bench, waiting for a Mo Lewis hit to liberate him.
Go ahead. I'd rather not.

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
sago1;1766707 said:
Thought you might find below article interesting. Sorry I don't know how to clean up the extra stuff that comes along with it. If somebody knows how to fix this mess, would appreciate your doing so. Thanks.

!@#$%^@#$%^&*):"?><+_!@#$%^&*(!@#$%^&*@#$%:"{}+_?><
maybe you should've just c/p the link......:rolleyes:

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
The problem isn't that there aren't as many good QBs as there used to be, the problem is that there are more teams now than ever before. If you really look at it, there has never been a time when there were good QBs on every team.

I've been watching football since the early 60s and I can't remember a time when every team had a good QB. Also, the passing game has become so much more important than it used to be back when teams relied more on the run and their defense to win games. I would make the comment that if anything is short these days it is good RBs.

I also think that the media is jaded by having some of the greatest QBs ever hang around a long time (Marino, Elway, Favre, etc.) who mingled with the younger QBs coming up.

I think if you look at the good QBs right now: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, Ben Roethlisberger, Carson Palmer, Brett Favre, Phillip Rivers, Donovan McNabb, Jeff Garcia, Drew Brees, Matt Hasselbeck, Eli Manning, etc. you won't find a time when there was a significantly higher percentage of quality QBs in the league at one time.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Good post, Thumper. I agree.

Also, Jaws was saying on Tirico's show today that the relatively new shortened practice time limit in college means that players are less prepared than ever to play coming into the league.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Phillip Rivers doesn't belong in the Good QBs group. AJ Smith not only screwed up big time on Coaching, but also his QB choice. What a dufus and egotistical idiot.

Eli is kind of borderline.

But Derek Anderson might belong there.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
good post Thumper. To the media if you're not a surefire hall of famer, you probably suck. That's another problem. Marc Bulger, Matt Hasselbeck, (pre injury) Trent Green, Donovan McNabb, all these guys have been pretty good for more than one season, but they get thrown in the garbage because they're not Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, who just so happen to be two of the best of all time, and what's with that awful dismissal of Brett Favre? I for one can't wait to see Romo vs Favre, what a fun game that could be...

Big Dakota

Reaction score
THUMPER;1766770 said:
The problem isn't that there aren't as many good QBs as there used to be, the problem is that there are more teams now than ever before. If you really look at it, there has never been a time when there were good QBs on every team.

I've been watching football since the early 60s and I can't remember a time when every team had a good QB. Also, the passing game has become so much more important than it used to be back when teams relied more on the run and their defense to win games. I would make the comment that if anything is short these days it is good RBs.

I also think that the media is jaded by having some of the greatest QBs ever hang around a long time (Marino, Elway, Favre, etc.) who mingled with the younger QBs coming up.

I think if you look at the good QBs right now: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, Ben Roethlisberger, Carson Palmer, Brett Favre, Phillip Rivers, Donovan McNabb, Jeff Garcia, Drew Brees, Matt Hasselbeck, Eli Manning, etc. you won't find a time when there was a significantly higher percentage of quality QBs in the league at one time.

i agree 100&#37;. I think Chris Collinsworth is a geek, but when he said the QB possition has never been more important than now and you can't win without a great QB with the NFL rules being what they are, i agreed 100%. The QB possition has NEVER been more important and the emphasis on that possition is apparent. From 1920 when Jim Thorpe became the first president of the NFL, until the 1970's, it was a run first, 3 yards and a cloud of dust league. Slowly in the last 30 years it has become a throwing league. Sure, you have to play D and run the ball, but look at the 4000 yard passers every year. One of these days we will have 10 QBs pass for 4K. A 60 TD passing season has now become a possibility. It is a QB driven league.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sago1;1766707 said:

Looks a little better now.:)

Aikbach

Reaction score
THUMPER;1766770 said:

I agree, let us examine the 1992 season team by team and signal caller by signal caller:

NFC East

Troy Aikman-Cowboys
Randall Cunningham-Eagles
Mark Rypien-Commanders
Phil Simms/Jeff Hostetler-Giants
Chris Chandler-Cardinals

NFC Central (Remember this division?)

Erik Kramer-Lions
Steve Walsh-Bears
Wade Wilson-Vikings
Vinnie Testaverde-Buccaneers
Don Majkowski/Brett Favre-Packers

NFC West

Steve Young/Joe Montana-49ers
Jim Everett-Rams
Bobby Hebert-Saints
Chris Miller-Falcons
(Panthers do not yet exist at this point)

AFC East

Jim Kelly-Bills
Dan Marino-Dolphins
Boomer Esiason-Jets
Jeff George-Colts
I'm Drawing a blank as to who QBed in New England pre-Bledsoe and post-Eason.

AFC Central

Neil O'Donnell-Steelers
Warren Moon-Oilers
Bernie Kosar-Browns
Anyone know who was in Cincinnati? Me neither.
(Jaguars don't exist yet)

AFC West

John Elway-Broncos
Dave Krieg-Chiefs
Stan Humphries-Chargers
Todd Marinovich-Raiders
Anyone remember who held the reigns in Seattle, I don't.

Aikbach

Reaction score
THUMPER;1766770 said:

I agree, let us examine the 1992 season team by team and signal caller by signal caller:

NFC East

Troy Aikman-Cowboys
Mark Rypien-Commanders
Chris Chandler-Cardinals

Erik Kramer-Lions
Steve Walsh-Bears
Wade Wilson-Vikings

NFC West

Jim Everett-Rams
Bobby Hebert-Saints
Chris Miller-Falcons

AFC East

Jim Kelly-Bills
Dan Marino-Dolphins
Boomer Esiason-Jets
Jeff George-Colts

AFC Central

Neil O'Donnell-Steelers
Warren Moon-Oilers
Bernie Kosar-Browns

AFC West

John Elway-Broncos
Dave Krieg-Chiefs
Stan Humphries-Chargers
Todd Marinovich-Raiders

Aikbach

Reaction score
THUMPER;1766770 said:

NFC East

Troy Aikman-Cowboys
Mark Rypien-Commanders
Chris Chandler-Cardinals

Erik Kramer-Lions
Steve Walsh-Bears
Wade Wilson-Vikings

NFC West

Jim Everett-Rams
Bobby Hebert-Saints
Chris Miller-Falcons

AFC East

Jim Kelly-Bills
Dan Marino-Dolphins
Boomer Esiason-Jets
Jeff George-Colts

AFC Central

Neil O'Donnell-Steelers
Warren Moon-Oilers
Bernie Kosar-Browns

AFC West

John Elway-Broncos
Dave Krieg-Chiefs
Stan Humphries-Chargers
Todd Marinovich-Raiders