Assessment and Thoughts

goshan

Reaction score
1. The o-line was actually better than I expected. I had very low expectations. Jacksonville has a good defense. Although Marco was pushed back a couple of times, the interior appeared to do a decent job. Columbo was blown up a couple of times, but he is obviously better than Pettiti. Flozell had trouble with speed rushes like he always has, even though everyone seemed to forget his short comings when he was injured.
2. I thought JJ ran ok but I still think he needs a huge hole to get any yards. He should be a change of pace back for a #1 back-not be the #1 back.
3. I was surprised that the passing attack seemed to focus so much on TO. Bledsoe seemed to lock in on TO a lot and struggled to find secondary targets. They should have gotten Crayton involved early and thrown deep to Glenn in the 1st quarter to get the defense more off balance. On the OPI on Witten, he extended his arms or he wouldn't have been called.
4, Bledsoe was just off...way off. This is the least accurate I have seen him as a Cowboy. Even the throw to JJ down the sideline that he completed was well underthrown. He had TO for six and underthrew him by 10 yards...we were fortunate to get the DPI. The TD pass to TO was actually thrown over the wrong shoulder. Bledsoe's arm didn't look that strong today for some reason -- I really wonder if there was something wrong. He had several balls that fluttered or came up short.
5. Dline pressure was really good for a while but disappeared in the middle of the 2nd quarter. Ware made some good plays, but, like last year, he always seems to get there 1-2 seconds too late.
6. Corners seemed all by themselves a lot in coverage. I think we overrate Henry. At Cleveland, he was known as a guy who could make the big play but would also get burned in one on one coverage. We saw that today.
7. I was shocked at how well Leftwich played after the 1st quarter.
8. Many of you should quit whining about the officials. Jacksonville deserved to win and we got a couple of fortunate calls as well.
9. I thought we got outcoached as the game went on. Jacksonville seemed to make adjustments on both sides of the ball. They figured out our pass rush and passing game and were able to confuse Bledsoe.
10. Romo won't see the field unless we get off to a bad start (0-3 or something like that).

I still think we are better than last year. I will stick by my 10-6 prediction. We just have to streak towards the end of the year and we will have a chance to beat anyone.

-hope we do better next week

jesusphreak

Reaction score
goshan said:
I still think we are better than last year. I will stick by my 10-6 prediction. We just have to streak towards the end of the year and we will have a chance to beat anyone.

Hey, I'd rather have a few losses at the beginning of the season and get hot at the end rather than start out really well and fade down the stretch (as we have done the past few seasons).

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
4, Bledsoe was just off...way off. This is the least accurate I have seen him as a Cowboy. Even the throw to JJ down the sideline that he completed was well underthrown. He had TO for six and underthrew him by 10 yards...we were fortunate to get the DPI. The TD pass to TO was actually thrown over the wrong shoulder. Bledsoe's arm didn't look that strong today for some reason -- I really wonder if there was something wrong. He had several balls that fluttered or came up short.
Yeah. He didn't look good most of the game. More than just a boneheaded play here or there. There have been bad games that were due to absolutely horrible blocking. But today, he was off.

The lack of timing with Owens is understandable, but Bledsoe was inaccurate to others as well.

jlust22

Reaction score
All good observations goshan. I thought Bledsoe's inaccuracy killed the Cowboys today. He was just way off on his throws after that great start today. He also made some really bad decisions and was lucky not to have thrown more Int's.

The OL actually held up better than I thought they were going to. They weren't great by any means, but Jax is very stout up front. Flo played pretty well early, but was awful in the 2nd half. He has to get back to form or that will really cause problems.

Owens was really good today. Had an ever better game than the stats indicated. Glenn was very quiet today until late. Also, jumped offsides twice which pretty unheard of for a WR. Crayton was invisible today. Not heard from once the entire game. Rector's PR's weren't particularly impressive his first time out.

The defense was a disappointment today. They were teriffic early, but faded after that. The pass rush was pretty weak yet again. That is what holds this defense back. Unless, it gets better, this defense will never be truly elite. Henry is definitely overrated. He is solid, but in no way, is he an upper echelon CB. He is a solid tackler, but he gives up a lot of completions.

The Cowboys shot themselves in the foot all game with dumb penalties. The Cowboys didn't play like a smart team today. The Cowboys kicker once again misses what should be a chip shot. That can't happen all year like it did last year regardless of who the kicker is.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
goshan said:
1. The o-line was actually better than I expected. I had very low expectations. Jacksonville has a good defense. Although Marco was pushed back a couple of times, the interior appeared to do a decent job. Columbo was blown up a couple of times, but he is obviously better than Pettiti. Flozell had trouble with speed rushes like he always has, even though everyone seemed to forget his short comings when he was injured.
2. I thought JJ ran ok but I still think he needs a huge hole to get any yards. He should be a change of pace back for a #1 back-not be the #1 back.
3. I was surprised that the passing attack seemed to focus so much on TO. Bledsoe seemed to lock in on TO a lot and struggled to find secondary targets. They should have gotten Crayton involved early and thrown deep to Glenn in the 1st quarter to get the defense more off balance. On the OPI on Witten, he extended his arms or he wouldn't have been called.
5. Dline pressure was really good for a while but disappeared in the middle of the 2nd quarter. Ware made some good plays, but, like last year, he always seems to get there 1-2 seconds too late.
6. Corners seemed all by themselves a lot in coverage. I think we overrate Henry. At Cleveland, he was known as a guy who could make the big play but would also get burned in one on one coverage. We saw that today.
8. Many of you should quit whining about the officials. Jacksonville deserved to win and we got a couple of fortunate calls as well.
9. I thought we got outcoached as the game went on. Jacksonville seemed to make adjustments on both sides of the ball. They figured out our pass rush and passing game and were able to confuse Bledsoe.
10. Romo won't see the field unless we get off to a bad start (0-3 or something like that).

:clap: especially on points 8 and 9.

Bill Parcells is an awful in-game strategist.

And it seems like everyone knows what the play is except for the Cowboys' coach, defensive/offensive coordinators.

On Jags radio, they even announced "Watch out for Leftwich up the middle" on Lefty's TD.

If the Jags announcers knew this was coming (obviously a basic play in the Jags playbook that could have been discerned via film study), why didn't the Cowboys know?

jimmy40

Reaction score
jlust22 said:
All good observations goshan. I thought Bledsoe's inaccuracy killed the Cowboys today. He was just way off on his throws after that great start today. He also made some really bad decisions and was lucky not to have thrown more Int's.

The OL actually held up better than I thought they were going to. They weren't great by any means, but Jax is very stout up front. Flo played pretty well early, but was awful in the 2nd half. He has to get back to form or that will really cause problems.

Owens was really good today. Had an ever better game than the stats indicated. Glenn was very quiet today until late. Also, jumped offsides twice which pretty unheard of for a WR. Crayton was invisible today. Not heard from once the entire game. Rector's PR's weren't particularly impressive his first time out.

The defense was a disappointment today. They were teriffic early, but faded after that. The pass rush was pretty weak yet again. That is what holds this defense back. Unless, it gets better, this defense will never be truly elite. Henry is definitely overrated. He is solid, but in no way, is he an upper echelon CB. He is a solid tackler, but he gives up a lot of completions.

The Cowboys shot themselves in the foot all game with dumb penalties. The Cowboys didn't play like a smart team today. The Cowboys kicker once again misses what should be a chip shot. That can't happen all year like it did last year regardless of who the kicker is.
Flo has taken 3 to 4 plays off a game throughout his career, looked back to form to me.

goshan

Reaction score
Does he take plays off or is he just too slow to block the speed rusher?

Trip

Reaction score
goshan said:
9. I thought we got outcoached as the game went on.

Agree with just about everything but this one. I don't think we got outcoached. I didn't mind the play calling today. What I saw was a lot of missed opportunities on offense, and a defense that could have played better but was still good enough to win considering the turnovers the offense gave away. Execution was the problem today, IMO. I like JJ in the one-back, two-TE alignment too.

ghst187

Reaction score
goshan said:

agree with all of this, esp the bolded part