Asteroid to pass closer to Earth than the moon

Doomsday101

Reaction score
An aircraft carrier-sized asteroid, a little over four football fields in diameter, is heading toward Earth and it will pass closer to our planet than the moon.

NASA has classified the asteroid as a “potentially hazardous object” and it will pass to within .8 lunar distances on November 8. It is the closest approach to Earth of an object this size in over 30 years.

What would happen if an asteroid this size crashed into Earth?

It would result in a 4,000 megaton blast, magnitude 7.0 earthquake and - if it falls into the ocean - could cause a 70-foot high tsunami within 60 miles of the crash site, according to an expert at Purdue University.

However, this space rock poses no threat of an Earth collision for at least the next 100 years, according to NASA’s Near Earth Object Program.

http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/03/asteroid-to-pass-closer-to-earth-than-the-moon/

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
No threat for the next 100 years?

Does this mean that the asteroid is going to start orbiting the Earth or what?

I'm not an astronomy major, but what exactly does this mean? Is this thing going to be sticking around?

Also I'm guessing since it's so small we probably won't be able to see it in the sky?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
DragonCowboy;4222563 said:
No threat for the next 100 years?

Does this mean that the asteroid is going to start orbiting the Earth or what?

I'm not an astronomy major, but what exactly does this mean? Is this thing going to be sticking around?

Also I'm guessing since it's so small we probably won't be able to see it in the sky?

I think it means it's projected route won't put it on a path to collide for at least 100 years.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4222568 said:
I think it means it's projected route won't put it on a path to collide for at least 100 years.

Oh, Ok, that would make more sense. Thanks.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Now let’s hope their calculations are correct. When you’re talking the distance from the moon to the earth that is a pretty small window