At this point, should we start stacking draft picks?

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
For those blind homers still out there. OUR SEASON IS OVER. I don't know if ya'll have gotten the memo or not. TOAST.

With that said, obviously our record will insure a good draft pick because I really don't see us doing better than 4-12 (sorry).

Should we get rid of a few players for draft picks as well? Tashard Choice would get us a _____ round pick. (I honestly don't know..ya'll tell me)

...or Barber.

If RW11 isn't going to be here, he'd get us a good draft pick, especially the way he's been performing. Well, a DECENT draft pick I suppose. (I personally want him here, but we'll see...)

So should we throw in a few trades for draft picks and start stacking this team in THE CORRECT AREAS??? (O-line, safety, and yes...kicker too).

That's basically what the Herschel Walker trade did for us right? What does the 'Zone think?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
News flash, trade deadline passed.

Cant trade any players now until the official offseason begins, which I think is March.

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;3654583 said:
News flash, trade deadline passed.

Cant trade any players now until the official offseason begins, which I think is March.

I'm talking about for NEXT SEASON. Sorry, I should have been more clear. I think we should STACK this team in the correct areas during the off-season. My bad.

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
I would like to add that I think we should draft Alex Henery from Nebraska as our new FG kicker.

He's one of the most accurate in college football and is sitting at 1/80 or something like that.

He nailed a 52 yarder last week with NO PROBLEM.

I can dream right?

Woods

Reaction score
In no particular order, we need to get a

FG kicker and let Buehler focus on kickoffs (unless the FG kicker can handle both responsibilities). I'd prefer to do this via FA.

We need at least 1 Safety. I hope AOA takes over for Ball soon and AOA is a playmaker. Move Ball back to the 4th CB.

I think we also need a better 3rd CB.

On the OL, we need at least 1 OG and possbily 1 RT (depending on Young working out).

Not sure what Jerry is going to do with the DL, but we'll likely also need at least 1 DE.

sago1

Reaction score
We also need at least 1 starting caliber ILB to replace Brookings. Don't know yet if that player is on this team or not but presume before the end of the season whether any of our younger players can step it up.

FG kicker and let Buehler focus on kickoffs (unless the FG kicker can handle both responsibilities). I'd prefer to do this via FA.

We need at least 1 Safety. I hope AOA takes over for Ball soon and AOA is a playmaker. Move Ball back to the 4th CB.

I think we also need a better 3rd CB.

On the OL, we need at least 1 OG and possbily 1 RT (depending on Young working out).

Not sure what Jerry is going to do with the DL, but we'll likely also need at least 1 DE.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Our Kicker is doing just fine...his first year kicking in the NFL and he has only missed 2 or 3 FGs. Against the Giants he was money with his FGs and his KOs. He should have gotten one more FG opportunity with about 7 minutes left in the game (Cowboys down 18), but Wade flustercucked that decision.

I am more than happy with Buehler. He will only get better IMO. You cannot give up on draft picks after one or two seasons....especially one that has far more pros than cons at this point in his career...SHEESH.

This is why I want all the young guys to get significant time the remainder of the year. See which ones are worth bringing back next year and which ones need to have a meeting with the Turk come the end of the season.

Now that I have digressed, back to the topic of this thread.....I wish we could be like the Pats and have at least 2 picks in each round every year....That would be awesome.

I would love to have a top 5 and then a 15-22 range in every single round, every single year...However, that just isn't feasible, now is it. Also, as long as rookie salaries are ridiculous, it will continue to make teams frown upon wanting to be in the first half of the 1st round. To be honest, the salaries for 1st round picks, especially those in the top 15-20, sure make it difficult to build your team....If you miss on one of those high priced picks, especially at QB or OL, it really sets your team back 3-4 years, if not more.

In next year's draft, I would love to have two 1s, three 2s, two 3s, and two 4s. That would give us a great chance to rebuild our OL (draft 2 OT, 1 OG, 1 C), get 2 starting Safeties, get another CB, and get a highly touted DL. Then we can use rounds 5-7 to work on our LB, TE, and more DL depth. Like I said, I would love this...but it isn't happening. A fatman can dream though.

yentl911

Reaction score
I think Spencer can be a beast again with a better scheme.

I would like to AOA play instead of Ball now. Lee for Brookings too. Bright for Bigg while we are at it. Not to mention Young for Columbo.

I would not trade Choice. I would let him run the rock and put Barber on the bench for a while or spot duty.

Let's see Ogeltree run some game routes too to see if he us a player or a chump.

This is a great time to see if some of these kids are players or not before we need them and find out they can't cut it.

JBS

Reaction score
At this point in time all I can really think about is the possibility of landing Patrick Peterson..I know it is early and things can change, but it appears I am just about set on wanting him with our 1st round pick..even though we are bad, I am still not sure we are going to be bad enough to have a shot at him..we are probably going to need a top 5 pick to do so

Reaction score
The top priorities should be the following:
  1. Offensive linemen (specifically RT and LG AND RG)
  2. A true ball hawk safety who's able and willing to lay the wood.
  3. Cornerback (Scandrick is horrible, end of the line for him in my opinion... Newman is getting older as well)
  4. Middle linebacker, (Dallas definitely needs to get a play-maker at the MLB position)
  5. Kicker (before all the Buehler apologists chime in, dude isn't nearly consistent enough for my liking)

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
This ain't like baseball or basketball, where you collect picks for mad salary relief. We'd have to deal from a position of strength. Which is WR and RB. We aren't going to get crap for Barber or Choice. We might get something for RW11, we aren't going to deal Dez or Miles....so therefore, we probably won't be able to stack draft picks no matter how much we want to anyways. Those players are all worth more to us here than they are for the 3rd or 4th round picks we might get back in return.

polinskijr

Reaction score
Not for any other reason but simply to point it out; it is Brooking. The name is Keith Brooking; again just to point it out. I see a lot of people on this board and several other calling him Brookings . . . . . .

igtmfo

Reaction score
Well RW isn't guaranteed any money next season, but he's ours through 2014. Likely his base salary is high enough that we'll just let him go, no one else will want him at that money anyway. But who knows about the CBA. If he keeps up the good work, is he worth us renegotiating at a few mil a year?

I don't know who we would trade for a high pick ... unless it would be Romo, Austin, Ware, Ratliff.

If we want to stack 6th and 7th round picks though, maybe we can get some. It looks like Crayton will bring a 6th rounder if he keeps up the pace.

Or you could be the Pats and have two picks in each of the first four rounds next April. Belicheat finds patsies every year that will trade him a two pick the next year for a three-pick on draft day.

Vets will be even more devalued in the offseason with the prospect of no season in 2011. Draft picks will be worth more than ever.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;3654912 said:
The top priorities should be the following:
  1. Offensive linemen (specifically RT and LG AND RG)
  2. A true ball hawk safety who's able and willing to lay the wood.
  3. Cornerback (Scandrick is horrible, end of the line for him in my opinion... Newman is getting older as well)
  4. Middle linebacker, (Dallas definitely needs to get a play-maker at the MLB position)
  5. Kicker (before all the Buehler apologists chime in, dude isn't nearly consistent enough for my liking)

8 of 11 FGs, long 51
15 of 15 PATs
one of the best in the league at kicking touchbacks

and this is only his first year as our FG kicker. to say he isnt consistent is just silly. yes, two of those misses should have been makes....but he is working hard with his kicking coach and he looks to be improving and showing more confidence with each game.

RS12

Reaction score
No, they just need to hit on picks 1-3 which should be in the top 75. Also bring in a veteran O Lineman (hello Mankins).