Attention: Access DB experts

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
Is it possible to gain enough knowlege in a sixteen hour fast track course to be able to create/setup a somewhat comprehensive DB using access, in lets say two months, only having a couple of hours each day to work on the task.

The reason I ask is because my Moms boss who admittedly knows nothing about DB's or access is requiring my Mom who is the receptionist at her bank, to take this fast track class and among her other duties, create a DB for bank use.

My Mom and Dad have raised me to always exceed an employers expectations for job performance just so you can sleep with a good conscience at night knowing you did your very best and it was more than was required. So I know this is my Mothers approach to her job as well.

This new task being imposed on my Mom seem suspicious. Like perhaps her boss is going to use this impossible task as a reason to get rid of her in the future.

So I was wondering if this task in that time frame was even possible for even the most skilled DB user.

I hope all that made sense. :grin2:

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
probably... as relational databases go, MSAccess is pretty easy to use...

I took a 4 hour course a few years back and didn't learn anything I really didn't already know as it is an easy app to learn...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can it be done in a basic access format....yes, can she get it done with those time parameters...depends on how much info she has to enter.

If she is going to take a class for it then she should learn the basics....it may not be the best searchable database with that time given (to take the classes and then do the project) but it should be at least basic and functional.

It may also depend on how fast she picks up on computer related things...that is not a question of your mother's intelligence but some people just pick up things faster then others.

Another thing...it task becomes more difficult if they want to put the database on a web page because then you have other issues to deal with in that area.

If she takes the class, gets an access for dummies (or something similar) book, can pick up on things quickly and does not have a huge amount of info to enter into the database then she should be ok.

One other sneaky sneaky thing that can be considered....find someone that already has an access database that does well...see if she can either borrow it or have the other person wipe out any data in it and just use the program by entering the banks data.

Hope it pans out for her.....I am not great at it, but I can get around enough to enter data and get a basic one going.

I had to do one for all of the DHHR employees for my state....only to later find out they wanted to use another program lol.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
bp makes a good point... I was making the assumption that she has average to above average computer skills...