Audio: NFL Network Burpgate

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
During the telecast on NFLN tonight right after halftime a loud burp was heard on the mic during commentary between Collinsworth and Gumbel. It was hilarious. Neither of them addressed it at the time. Later on about halfway through the 3rd Q Gumbel is commenting on something and a burp accidentally slipped out.

Then as we're going into the 4th Q Gumbel makes a public statement saying (loosely quoting) " Folks we do not have indigestion. There's a mic open somewhere up here". Righttttt :laugh2:

These guys still have some work to do. The overall experience is not on par of what we usually get from a game and their commentary is generally lacking. Gumbel hasn't been as bad as he was earlier in the year but tonight the Skins did come up with a big stop to force a 4th down (punt situation..giants punter trotting onto the field) late in the game and Gumble promptly said "and the Giants turn it over on downs!!!"

The audio feed is kinda lame too. You heard the booth guys perfectly and the crowd noise appears muffled almost as if we're watching two guys comment on a game that's being played a block away.

Just wanted to share the burp story. It was pretty funny. :D

Fan Since 77

Reaction score
I hate the NFL network. They want the cable companies to pay top dollar for crap. F that.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
John Madden is rolling over in his grave right now because of this disrespect.

Shame on you NFL network...you make me sick.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;1271186 said:

:huh:

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;1271186 said:

Madden"s pretty old but he ain't dead yet man, but the NFLN gives me indigestion to.

Reaction score
Bleu Star;1271150 said:
"and the Giants turn it over on downs!!!"

he says that constantly, right before the punter trots on the field, and this wasn't the first week! You would think somebody would point it out to him,,, and is there anything more insulting than to be force fed the ramblings of a pompous *** who doesn't even WATCH football?

CaptainQuint

Reaction score
I heard the burp, and heard the explanation, and really don't care.
No matter what Collinsworth or Gumbolt said, or didn't say, it NEVER was as bad as Kornheiser.
If Kornheiser had burped wordlessly, that would have been an improvement on ESPN's Monday Night Football.

CaptainQuint

Reaction score
Hypnotoad;1271186 said:

You're getting Madden confused with Al Davis, who is clinically dead, but still watching the Raiders.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Hypnotoad;1271186 said:

Hey, that sounds like something Gumbel would say.....:lmao2::lmao2::lmao:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;1271186 said:

Madden's grave moves from city to city every weekend. I couldn't believe these guys tried to cast that off as being "an open mic somewhere". That's all. Good laughs were had by all except the two in the booth.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Bleu Star;1271150 said:
During the telecast on NFLN tonight right after halftime a loud burp was heard on the mic during commentary between Collinsworth and Gumbel. It was hilarious. Neither of them addressed it at the time. Later on about halfway through the 3rd Q Gumbel is commenting on something and a burp accidentally slipped out.

Then as we're going into the 4th Q Gumbel makes a public statement saying (loosely quoting) " Folks we do not have indigestion. There's a mic open somewhere up here". Righttttt :laugh2:

These guys still have some work to do. The overall experience is not on par of what we usually get from a game and their commentary is generally lacking. Gumbel hasn't been as bad as he was earlier in the year but tonight the Skins did come up with a big stop to force a 4th down (punt situation..giants punter trotting onto the field) late in the game and Gumble promptly said "and the Giants turn it over on downs!!!"

The audio feed is kinda lame too. You heard the booth guys perfectly and the crowd noise appears muffled almost as if we're watching two guys comment on a game that's being played a block away.

I can't wait for fartgate...

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
cowboyed;1271875 said:
I can't wait for fartgate...

I can't remember the last professional sports telecast where burps were had in the booth. There is such thing as mute on the mics. Perhaps the sound engineers just forgot to point that out to them.

I was just poking fun at a rag tag outfit comprised of someone better suited to emcee the macy's thanksgiving day parade and some that annoys from the starting bell to the finish line. I liked Vermeil in the booth over both of these guys.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Bleu Star;1271150 said:

I heard both "burps". They sounded pretty real to me...it was funny and very NFL-Network like. I will say that I quite like Collinsworth as an announcer.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NFL NETWORK BURP FEST
It's a good thing only 40 percent of the country has access to the NFL's in-house network. If the channel went to all of the USA, a lot more people would have heard the sock puppets BURPING on the air.
Not once, but twice.

The first one came late in the third quarter. It sounds like Cris Collinsworth.

The second one came in the fourth quarter. It's likely Bryant Gumbel, unless Collinsworth can conjure a burp while talking.

Meanwhile, Tiki Barber is now up to 227 yards and three touchdowns. He has not, to our knowledge, burped.
POSTED 10:25 p.m. EST; UPDATED 10:35 p.m. EST, December 30, 2006

TIKI NOT DONE YET
While the NFLN sock puppets are entertaining the viewing audience with an audible on-air burp (it came with 3:02 to play in third quarter, per a reader with TiVo), Giants running back Tiki Barber is pumping air into his team's postseason chances with 167 yards rushing (as of this posting) and two touchdowns.

The G-men lead the Commanders 27-14. A win likely wraps up the No. 6 seed for New York, making the rest of the NFC games to be played this weekend largely irrelevant.

If the Giants hold off the 'Skins and nail down a playoff berth, they'll be the No. 6 seed, and they'll most likely travel to Philly next weekend for a Wild Card matchup.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1271918 said:
NFL NETWORK BURP FEST
It's a good thing only 40 percent of the country has access to the NFL's in-house network. If the channel went to all of the USA, a lot more people would have heard the sock puppets BURPING on the air.
Not once, but twice.

The first one came late in the third quarter. It sounds like Cris Collinsworth.

The second one came in the fourth quarter. It's likely Bryant Gumbel, unless Collinsworth can conjure a burp while talking.
Meanwhile, Tiki Barber is now up to 227 yards and three touchdowns. He has not, to our knowledge, burped.

:lmao: WG.

I think they both might have tried to jam some coneys down their pipes during a commercial break or something. :D