Audio: Ratliff, 'No, we haven't hit rock bottom yet' - 10/21/08

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Jay Ratliff on KTBB.com
-----------------------------------

I get the not wanting to admit that you suck as a team right now.

But some of his answers tend to tell me he's not in panic mode yet.

Hey Jay, you just lost three out of the last four games!!!

Ratliff seems to be on the same page as Wade IMO.

I love Rat, and I do hope he's right about getting a few wins and all this is forgotten, but he should be acting a little more concerned if you ask me.

At one point he talks about looking at film and he sort of chuckles like it was amusing to see themselves playing that poorly.

I wish I never heard this interview.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2363698 said:

I love Rat, and I do hope he's right about getting a few wins and all this is forgotten, but he should be acting a little more concerned if you ask me.

At one point he talks about looking at film and he sort of chuckles like it was amusing to see themselves playing that poorly.

This team has taken on the personality of their coach. That was my fear from the beginning of the off season and it seemed to be confirmed on hard knocks. Wade just doesnt command respect and he doesnt have the personality to push players to the brink of excellence. He is a great guy, one of the best in the NFL I have no doubt about that but he has the wrong attitude to be a head coach.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Kidding me? We have to reach up to touch the ground............haven't hit rock bottom yet. Pffft.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
yep, this is what was said, and you need to listen to all of the podcast.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Who does Ratliff identify as a leader? Greg Ellis. He's who they look to and who they watch.

Unbelievable. No wonder the defense plays with the intensity of a flag football team.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
0-6 Bengal is rock bottom. I didn’t have a problem with any of his answers. He said at the very end...“we need to win this game...we need to win”. He had lots of urgency in his voice.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Good to hear we didn't hit rock bottom yet. Hope we can accomplish that soon.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;2363769 said:
0-6 Bengal is rock bottom. I didn’t have a problem with any of his answers. He said at the very end...“we need to win this game...we need to win”. He had lots of urgency in his voice.

We ain't the Bungles. Raise the bar a little.

Sure it was urgency and not like in prayer mode?

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
I will hate to see what this team looks like when it actually does hit rock bottom.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2363698 said:
Jay Ratliff on KTBB.com

But some of his answers tend to tell me he's not in panic mode yet.

Hey Jay, you just lost three out of the last four games!!!

I wish I never heard this interview.

I'm certain he does not nor do the rest feel they suck. They don't.

And I'm certain they aren't in panic mode. I'm glad to see them have some sense of humor. I'd hate for them to lose all confidence in themselves and mope around going 'we suck'. They better be looking at a lot of film. Ratliff isn't a problem although that front needs to play the run a little better and the coaches need to help them adapt.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dcfanatic;2363698 said:
Jay Ratliff on KTBB.com

But some of his answers tend to tell me he's not in panic mode yet...

You know this place is an echo chamber when a poster opens a thread saying he's unhappy the team's not in full-blown panic mode, and everybody in the thread agrees with him.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Idgit;2363801 said:
You know this place is an echo chamber when a poster opens a thread saying he's unhappy the team's not in full-blown panic mode, and everybody in the thread agrees with him.

Ummm. I think it's 50-50 right now.

We is or we aint.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I didn't hear that much wrong with it. I think all he meant was that they aren't dead yet... Which they aren't at 4-3.

Of course, some fans want him to think and talk like they do: That we're the worst team in the NFL, our coaches are horrible, we have no heart, and we don't have a chance to win another game the rest of the year. But as a player, he can't and isn't going to think like that.

Also, funny how Jay said that he's not moved at all by rah-rah speeches and being yelled and cussed at. But people don't want to hear that right now.

The bottom line is that Jay Ratliff plays his *** off every single play of every single game. I'll judge him by that much more than some comment on a radio show.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
This is why Parcells limits coaches and players access to the media.....

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
these are stupid questions and they were asked sarcastically, i feel like hes leading ratliff to answer them correctly.

like:
"DO you NEED a rah rah coach in your face?"

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2363835 said:
I didn't hear that much wrong with it. I think all he meant was that they aren't dead yet... Which they aren't at 4-3.

Of course, some fans want him to think and talk like they do: That we're the worst team in the NFL, our coaches are horrible, we have no heart, and we don't have a chance to win another game the rest of the year. But as a player, he can't and isn't going to think like that.

Also, funny how Jay said that he's not moved at all by rah-rah speeches and being yelled and cussed at. But people don't want to hear that right now.

The bottom line is that Jay Ratliff plays his *** off every single play of every single game. I'll judge him by that much more than some comment on a radio show.

Bottom line is we're not panicky enough. I think football players play best when they're panicked into not doing anything dumb.

Now, I wouldn't mind seeing a player like Pac or even Proctor cut in order to send a message to the team now and then. Or a coach outright dismissed if necessary. There are ways to send the message you mean business and that mistakes or lapses of judgment or preparation aren't tolerated.

Blowing an o-ring in a meeting accomplishes very little and may even undermine a coach's reputation if it doesn't get results. What do you do next time? Blow two o-rings?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Idgit;2363889 said:
Blowing an o-ring in a meeting accomplishes very little and may even undermine a coach's reputation if it doesn't get results. What do you do next time? Blow two o-rings?
Yep, I remember Don Nelson talking about that. He said that as regards butt-chewing tantrums, you have about five or six bullets over the course of a season, and you better use them wisely. Because many more than that, and players just tune you out.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened with Stewart. From the way he was talking in that "good to great" speech in Hard Knocks, I wouldn't be surprised if he weren't TOO intense and gave so many chewings that the players started to roll their eyes. That would explain the reaction he got from even players like Zach Thomas on Sunday.