Aurora Borealis may be viewable to the naked eye in North Texas

Hardline

Reaction score
Due to an unusually large solar storm.

The weekend will kick off with a rare celestial show as the northern lights illuminate the night sky over the northern United States.

Over the past few days, the sun has launched massive clouds of charged particles toward the Earth, events known as coronal mass ejections (CMEs). When these hit Earth's magnetic field, they will ignite the aurora borealis over the Northern Hemisphere and the aurora australis over the Southern Hemisphere.

cmefeature.jpg

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Usually it does not last beyond 30 minutes and if it is severe it can damage electrical power grids and space satellites.

Creeper

Reaction score
Any reports of disruptions yet? I am hoping a gamma ray burst kills all the mosquitos in NJ.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We live in NW Montana and the past few nights have been breathtakingly spectacular. Often, you see photos from Iceland of the northern lights and the colors are various shades of green trending toward a yellow green.

What we've seen the past couple of nights are reds, purple, greens, and yellow colors seemingly cascading down from the heavens.

Well worth staying up past my bedtime :)

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Northern lights are a bucket list item for me. Lived in metropolitan areas most of my life. Want to visit Joshua Tree as it’s one of the listed Dark Skies viewing locations (yes, I know you can’t see the northern lights there).

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I think it's all a lie. All the people posting pictures on the internet are full of it.
There's people in the same area as me posting pictures. There are people farther south posting pictures.
I kept checking and saw absolutely nothing. Therefore, it must be fake, and there are a lot of liars out there...

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Here SW of Austin - you saw a very very faint pink in the sky - but using the night shot on my phone, it really showed up.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think it's all a lie. All the people posting pictures on the internet are full of it.
There's people in the same area as me posting pictures. There are people farther south posting pictures.
I kept checking and saw absolutely nothing. Therefore, it must be fake, and there are a lot of liars out there...
Bulletproof logic bro. Right on!