Backpacking/Hiking/Camping

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Anyone a hobby backpacker, hiker or camper? I am seriously beginning to get interest into this sport (going on a day hike tomorrow) and just wanna get some thoughts.

My goal is to do Glacier N. Park by next summer.

Thanks

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Anyone a hobby backpacker, hiker or camper? I am seriously beginning to get interest into this sport (going on a day hike tomorrow) and just wanna get some thoughts.

Thanks

I plan to hike the AT (Appalachian Trail) one day... do yourself a favor and subscribe to the magazine called "Backpacker"... well worth the coin...

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I camp a good deal and hike but I don't really backpack. I'm more of the type that will set up a camping spot for a few days and fish or go hike and that type of thing rather than serious backcountry backpacking.

It's great to get outdoors, though, really takes you outside of your daily routine. Not bad exercise either.

trickblue

Reaction score
Avery said:
I camp a good deal and hike but I don't really backpack. I'm more of the type that will set up a camping spot for a few days and fish or go hike and that type of thing rather than serious backcountry backpacking.

It's great to get outdoors, though, really takes you outside of your daily routine. Not bad exercise either.

It must be binding to camp in that storm trooper get-up... is it bear-proof? :D

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
trickblue said:
It must be binding to camp in that storm trooper get-up... is it bear-proof? :D

It seems to attract bears actually. They can smell the fear of nerds.

trickblue

Reaction score
Avery said:
It seems to attract bears actually. They can smell the fear of nerds.

Wow... is it just me... or does that seem like a problem... :D

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
trickblue said:
I plan to hike the AT (Appalachian Trail) one day... do yourself a favor and subscribe to the magazine called "Backpacker"... well worth the coin...

Went and got an issue at Barnes and Noble today (Midwest Edition). I will subscribing shortly....very good resource. Thanks TB.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I went to REI today (LBJ in Carrolton, Welsh rd. Exit).

That place is absolutely amazing. I had gone to Bill's Sporting Goods(formerly Galyans) yesterday at the Parks Mall in Arlington, and was impressed, but REI is DEDICATED to adventure sports, whereas Bill's is a multidepartment sporting goods store.

I joined REI's Co-Op, got some cheap ($50) boots, wool socks, and a Texas hiking book. Due to lack of proper prep and weather, I am going to go on my dayhike Thursday instead of today. I am looking at either Mineral Wells or one of the State Parks near OK.

Anyone have any suggestions of a good dayhike trail within 2-3 hours of the Metroplex (I live in Arlington, but am no stranger to driving).

Thanks!

trickblue

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I went to REI today (LBJ in Carrolton, Welsh rd. Exit).

That place is absolutely amazing. I had gone to Bill's Sporting Goods(formerly Galyans) yesterday at the Parks Mall in Arlington, and was impressed, but REI is DEDICATED to adventure sports, whereas Bill's is a multidepartment sporting goods store.

I joined REI's Co-Op, got some cheap ($50) boots, wool socks, and a Texas hiking book. Due to lack of proper prep and weather, I am going to go on my dayhike Thursday instead of today. I am looking at either Mineral Wells or one of the State Parks near OK.

Anyone have any suggestions of a good dayhike trail within 2-3 hours of the Metroplex (I live in Arlington, but am no stranger to driving).

Thanks!

I used to frequent that REI when I lived in the Metroplex...

If you can ever get away, the best kept secret in the country is Arkansas... some GREAT hiking there...

In Oklahoma I would try Beaver's Bend...

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
trickblue said:
I used to frequent that REI when I lived in the Metroplex...

If you can ever get away, the best kept secret in the country is Arkansas... some GREAT hiking there...

In Oklahoma I would try Beaver's Bend...

I have researched Ouachita - looks beautiful on the internet, and good acreage to get lost - I mean explore. Went to Beaver's Bend when I was about 6, I remember it being pretty, but I also remember it being very developped and a huge tourist spot, though I doubt I did anything in the backwoods.

I will probably do Ouachita in the next 2-3 months, when I can string a few days together. I have been planning a purchasing system on my budget over the next 5-6 months, in which time I hoped to invest in the equipment needed. I found, however, that REI actually does rentals for a very reasonable price, which excites me - I can now expedite my first trip.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
I have camped in the military but not sure that counts; and did it way to many times :p:

I can give you one advice that will apply to all camping put your toilet paper in a ziplock baggy and make sure it has a good seal.

Trust me I had privates laugh at me the 1st time and later where wishing they where as smart as that crusty old bastage of a sergeant

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:

Thanks

By all means go to Glacier if you get the chance. I actually was up there last summer. Absolutely beautiful.

Gooch

E-Dog
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:

Thanks

Actually worked the on the eastern boder of Glacier for a few months. Beautiful country. Even made it up to the Canadian Glacier National Park. Would recommend it for everyone. If you can, try to stay away during the peak summer season since like Yellowstone, it becomes a string of RV's. Bears can be an issue since I've heard that they release some of the problem Grizzly's from Yellowstone. Regardless, it's well worth the trip.
Also, if you can get a Blackfoot guide to show you around, you'll get a chance to see the off-the-beaten-path stuff (not sure what those are since I was way too cheap to do this).