Bears defense.... whoa!

DLCassidy

Reaction score
I wouldn't want to play them up there in zero degree temps with that pass rush. That's why we need to keep winning.

Dallas22

Reaction score
We need to win out!!! We need to win ALL of our games!!!

LOL... It's possible but I don't think we can do it... just too many tough games. If we lose 1-2 of our final 6 games, then we might be able to to still get a BYE. If we go 3-3, we can sneak into the playoffs - MAYBE.

If the Bears can somehow get Home-Field advantage throughout the playoffs, they can make a run at the SB and be this year's 2000 Ravens. I still don't think that they have enough Offense to go all the way, but overall the NFC is weak and has no Powerhouse team.

If we can some way get a BYE in the first round of the playoffs, I think we will be in good shape to make a run as well ;)

GO COWBOYS!!!

Dallas22

followthestar

Reaction score
lets not overlook the fact that Orton is the lowest rated QB in the NFL. the Bears did look good (i saw the game) but i would hardly say they scare me playoff-wise. getting a bye then hosting the Bears would be a ticket to the NFC championship game, probably played in Dallas... not getting a bye then playing in Chicago would be a ticket to the NFC championship game played in TB...

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Dallas22 said:
Come on now, Carolina is a very good team all around team and the Bears handled them.
Outside of a six game stretch when they beat GB, AZ, DET, MIN, TB, and NYJ, the Panthers are 1-3. It's a team similar to the 2003 Cowboys in some ways--they try to run a lot, even though they can't run, and they've got a good (but for the most part untested) defense. They don't scare me in January.

That's not to sell the Bears short. They play great D, can run the ball, and their QB doesn't make mistakes. At least not so far...

tyke1doe

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
The 1985 Bears steamrolled the power elite of the NFC-- they smashed Washington 45 to something, goose-egged Dallas 44-0, shut down SF's offense 26-7 (Lott had a defensive TD), and blanked the Rams and Giants 24-0 and 21-0 in the playoffs. They beat New England in the Superbowl 46-10 (after pummeling htem in the reg season too) and it wasn't even that close. They totally redefined domination.

You can't mention these two teams in the same sentence, and anyone who did this at ESPN is a non-football knowing, attention-grabbing blowhard. Call them the Monsters of the Midway again-- whatever, but don't even think of comparing them to one of the very best teams the NFL has ever fielded.

Hear, hear.

I witnessed the 85 Bears and Bears of 05, you're no 85 Bears.

However, I don't know about Dallas. We still aren't getting pressure on the quarterback. The Bears with the defensive pressure they put on Delhomme, would eat Bledsoe alive.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
The Bears defense is and has been very good. Alex Brown is good, I always liked that kid. IMO he is Greg Ellis Jr, just a little bit more speed (or youth). O-Gun has 7 sacks already and Lovie Smith sure did get Tommie Harris playing good and got him playing good fast. You can bad mouth Urlacher all you want but he just gets it done, period. I don't like him at all but I have to admit he's good. I'm surprised Vasher is playing so well but he is beatable, imo Charles Tillman is solid so you're never gonna rack up yardage against him. Ian Scott, Hunter Hillenmeyer, and Chris Harris...these guys are no-names but they gotta be doing something right.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
nathanlt, the Bears will fall considerably short of the NFC Championship game. Kyle Orton is merely a rookie. Kyle did look pretty good, but he is a rookie and is not having a "Rookie Roethlisberger" type season.

The Bears will only go as far as the Bear's defense can take them. And Jake Delhomme has been regressing too.

If it sounds as if I am taking credit away from the Chicago Bears in general, well then you guessed right. Overrated. Panthers had an off game like a lot of teams do in this day and age of the NFL. All that high praise from the media might have been a little too much for the Panther players causing them to "eat the cheese" (Bill-ism). :cool:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
:laugh2:

And how good could a defense without Scott Shanle really be?

I'm happy for Lovie Smith, though... I always liked that guy.

Before yesterday, I thought Carolina was probably the best team in the NFC. Now, I'm not so sure. I wish I could have seen that game yesterday to see how it actually played out.
You know, I didn't even think about that.

:banghead:

I'm so lost.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Jarv said:
You nailed it right there Juke !

any time a team can apply that kind of pressure from their front four, it's a huge advantage.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...is their team.

I was in North Dakota in a sports bar watching the Cowboys when they took on the Vikings. They are a very tough defensive team.

As the weeks have gone on I have seen them do nothing but get stronger defensively.

They will be in the hunt come December. If their offence can be opportunistic who knows what kid of damage they will do.

The program seems no different than what Roethlisberger did with the Steelers in his rookie season. Strong D, focus on the running game and be opportunistic with the pass.

ravidubey

Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
Hear, hear.

I witnessed the 85 Bears and Bears of 05, you're no 85 Bears.

However, I don't know about Dallas. We still aren't getting pressure on the quarterback. The Bears with the defensive pressure they put on Delhomme, would eat Bledsoe alive.
Parcells would not let it happen and therein lies the difference between Dallas and Carolina. Dallas is a balanced team that thrives passing deep, intermediate, and short and has three different running backs that can each threaten you in different ways (There's depth too, Price can also sting and just wait til Crayton gets healthy).

By comparison, Carolina's offense must get the ball to Steve Smith and so they become vulnerable to a pass rush. Chicago didn't drop 8 sacks on any other team, did they? Hell, Carolina was only down a handful of points and yet they continued to pass first and throw long, placing their QB in jeopardy. There's NO Jason Witten or Keyshawn Johnson in Carolina, Muhsin Muhammad plays for, oh yeah, The Bears!

jimmy40

Reaction score
stokee said:
Before we get on the bears bandwagon. I don't see one powerhouse they played.

at Washington L 7-9
Offense ranking 13

Detroit W 38-6
Offense ranking 27

Cincinnati L 7-24
Offense ranking 3

at Cleveland L 10-20
Offense ranking 20

Minnesota W 28-3
Offense ranking 25

Baltimore W 10-6
Offense ranking 26

at Detroit W (OT) 19-13
Offense ranking 27

at New Orleans W 20-17
Offense Ranking 16

San Francisco W 17-9
Offense ranking 32

Carolina W 13-3
Offense ranking 24
We haven't exactly been playing the Colts every week ourselves.

MrMom

Reaction score
I'm surprised Vasher is playing so well but he is beatable, imo Charles Tillman is solid so you're never gonna rack up yardage against him.

You have it the wrong way. I've watched quite a few games of theirs this year and Tillman has been very inconsistent this year. Some may consider Vasher to be their top corner.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
The 1985 Bears steamrolled the power elite of the NFC-- they smashed Washington 45 to something, goose-egged Dallas 44-0, shut down SF's offense 26-7 (Lott had a defensive TD), and blanked the Rams and Giants 24-0 and 21-0 in the playoffs. They beat New England in the Superbowl 46-10 (after pummeling htem in the reg season too) and it wasn't even that close. They totally redefined domination.

You can't mention these two teams in the same sentence, and anyone who did this at ESPN is a non-football knowing, attention-grabbing blowhard. Call them the Monsters of the Midway again-- whatever, but don't even think of comparing them to one of the very best teams the NFL has ever fielded.

Totally agree but that is what ESPN and the media are known for. When there isn't much news going on, they have to repeat current topics( the TO situtation) or create ones where none exist (comparing Bears to 85 Bears D)

I'm so thankful Dallas is off the radar this season. We don't need the ESPN curse. If we beat Denver, you can be assured we will finally get some mention.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Fletch said:
nathanlt, the Bears will fall considerably short of the NFC Championship game. Kyle Orton is merely a rookie. Kyle did look pretty good, but he is a rookie and is not having a "Rookie Roethlisberger" type season.

The Bears will only go as far as the Bear's defense can take them. And Jake Delhomme has been regressing too.

If it sounds as if I am taking credit away from the Chicago Bears in general, well then you guessed right. Overrated. Panthers had an off game like a lot of teams do in this day and age of the NFL. All that high praise from the media might have been a little too much for the Panther players causing them to "eat the cheese" (Bill-ism). :cool:

I'm just saying, I hope someone takes them out before they face us. Our offense has been sporadic. If we do face them, our offense needs to perform at the highest level.