1. Elliott
2. Smith
3. Collins
4. Prescott
6. Brown
6. Frazier
6. Jackson [now with the Browns]
7. Gathers

1 guy, Jackson, is no longer with the team. He is now a RB for the Cleveland Browns. So he's still in the NFL.

2015 draft:

1. Jones
2. Gregory
3. Green
5. Russell [currently playing for Tampa Bay]
7. Nzeocha
7. Gibson [currently on the Texans roster]
7. Swaim

Everybody from our 2015 draft is currently on an NFL roster.

2014 draft:

Now here's a draft where all the late guys didn't make the squad:

1. Martin
2. DLaw
4. Hitchens
5. Street [currently with the Colts
7. Ben Gardner [out of the NFL]
7. Will Smith [out of the NFL]
7. Ahmad Dixon [out of the NFL]
7. Ken Bishop [out of the NFL]
7. Terrance Mitchell [playing for the Chiefs]

Devin Street hung around on the Dallas squad for 2 seasons before being released. He was picked up by the Colts.
Of the remaining guys, only Terrance Mitchell is still in the NFL and - surprise! - he actually started 2 games for the Chiefs last season.

I think the advent of Stephen Jones has been felt the most in the last 3 drafts, including this 2017 one. The last draft where I think Jerry still had the most control was 2014, where we essentially wasted all of our late picks.

I don't think you can automatically count guys taken in rounds 5-7 as being just camp bodies headed for a training camp cut any more.

kevm3

Reaction score
Wasn't Street with the Patriots for a short while too?

drawandstrike

Reaction score
I think a lot of people still have those 2014 and 2009 drafts in mind and think our 6th-7th round guys are just camp bodies. A Ratliff once a decade is nice, but it's not usually how late draft picks have gone for us.

From what I'm seeing in this draft, last year's late picks of Anthony Brown, Kavon Frazier and Rico Gathers were not us just being lucky. [This is based on Gathers actually making his move this year, as many are saying he's going to do]

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I think the advent of Stephen Jones has been felt the most in the last 3 drafts, including this 2017 one. The last draft where I think Jerry still had the most control was 2014, where we essentially wasted all of our late picks.

I don't think you can automatically count guys taken in rounds 5-7 as being just camp bodies headed for a training camp cut any more.

I don't believe the "advent of Stephen Jones" or whatever means a thing about draft picks.

When teams spend a pick on a player, that is a commitment. And in our case, they have to do something very very wrong to get cut.

9 times out of 10 a late round player comes with a coach backing them. They are not always going to admit they are wrong.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Bad picks=Jerry
Good picks=Stephen/McClay

Got it.

I suspect next year more guys from 2015 will be out of the NFL and so one and so forth.

Just life in the NFL. Same with every franchise.

But, we just have to find somebody to blame for everything bad that happens in our lives, because it doesn't fit each person's perception of perfection in today's society.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ehhhh......the jury is out. Most 7th rounders simply don't make it in this league. That's not just the Cowboys that every teams. Some 1st rounders don't make it. I'm not sure if our 7th rounders this year make ti but I think our 6th rounders have a good shot.