Bennet " best TE' in this years draft1

samngaruiya

Reaction score
Here is a great interview on Bennet...maybe we have something special
grhttp://thefootballexpert.com/martellusbennettinterview080001.htmleatre

NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Martellus Bennett, TE, Texas A&M
by Jared Donnelly, 4/11/08. Often times in today’s skill position obsessed Pre-Draft world, there are late risers up draft boards at other spots. One of those spots where people often enjoy a meteoric rise is at tight end. This year’s class is especially deep at that position compared to years past and I recently had a chance to talk to a man that I believe to be the Elite tight end in this year’s class: Martellus Bennett from Texas A&M.

Martellus is big and fast. How big and fast? “I come in at 6-6 260 pounds right now” he said almost matter of factly. And how about that forty time? “4.6’s consistently. I’ve been running a lot and I have been consistently hitting those 4.6 times”. That is a lot of man moving very quickly in today’s NFL. Also, with linebackers getting smaller and faster, and defensive lineman getting bigger and most not running anywhere near the 4.6’s, there are mismatches all over the field with a guy like Bennett.

“I feel like I can create mismatches with my size and speed”, said Bennett when I asked him about this point. “I played outside some at A&M and I played in tight too so wherever anyone wants to put me is fine with me. I can make plays and do whatever any team needs me to, I feel like.” It is easy to see his big play making ability when you look at his stats and see that he caught 49 balls for a total of 587 yards and four scores. Perhaps his most impressive stat however, is his average yards per catch which registers as a whopping 12.0 YPC. Oh, and by the way, Bennett compiled that stat line despite having missed a game.

Some people have questioned his ability or potential to ever become an elite end-line blocker in the NFL. Don’t bring that to his attention though. “Anyone that says that didn’t watch any of my games at A&M. We ran the ball a lot and all we did was run it to my side. Why would we do that if I couldn’t control things at the line of scrimmage? I have heard more scouts talk about my route running than my blocking skills,” Bennett retorted somewhat indignant at the question. Confidence and self awareness are excellent attributes to have in today’s NFL, especially for someone banging up against large men who would love nothing more than to take his head off.

Despite being a relatively complete tight end, we all know there is no such thing as a perfect prospect and Martellus knows this too. “I work on everything. Blocking, route running, pass catching, coming out of my breaks, working on my steps. Basically, whatever it takes to be the most complete tight end is what I am doing.” In my estimation, Bennett may well be the most complete tight end prospect that this class has to offer and could wind up competing to be the first or second guy taken later this month when teams look to bolster their rosters. What does Bennett bring to the table that makes him an NFL ready tight end right now? “My ability to get open and create yards after the catch. I block well too. I can block and run inside; I can get open outside or over the middle too. I also think my speed is a big strength.”

While Bennett strives to become his ideal of the complete tight end, all of those attributes would suggest that, perhaps, he has already achieved that status. This is precisely why I have him projected in the first two rounds of this April’s draft. I mentioned that at one point, I had him projected to Seattle. “That would be cool, man. They have a great core of guys and with Hasselbeck, I can really get a chance to catch some balls. Nothing is for sure though. I have had meetings with some teams and some workouts and stuff, but nothing is for sure. Anywhere I go, anywhere they put me, I will be ready to do anything.”

NFL Draft Analyst says Martellus Bennett is the top tight end in the draft.

sago1

Reaction score
Hope he will like Romo throwing to him even better then Hasselbeck.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
this reminds me of the Hatcher pick -

Love that we went TE Again early - spot on

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I have no issue with this pick, at all. If you didn't see anything at WR that you were in love with this was as good a pick, as any, to fill a need. We needed TE depth now that we got rid of Anthony so this is a nice guy to come in and give us at least with Anthony did.

DR.WARE

Reaction score
not a bad pick there are still some good recievers out there for 3rd 4th round picks