Bennett reminds me of Tony Gonzales.....

newlander

Reaction score
Don't know why it's taken me so long to come to that conclusion but if he really works at his trade, he can be that good. I just hope the Cowboys take advantage of his skills more than the Chiefs who have wasted TG's in my opinion.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Athletically I think he might be more of Antonio Gates than Gonzalez. He is sneaky fast.

But its early. If he continues to improve and show something extra every year, then we can legitmately be excited about him.

Either way, think about it, how much more explosive cowboys might be next year, if both Felix and Bennet have had one year under the belt? And Roy Williams had plenty of time to work with Romo to get in sync with each other? Of course, injuries would be the concern.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2452526 said:
Athletically I think he might be more of Antonio Gates than Gonzalez. He is sneaky fast.

But its early. If he continues to improve and show something extra every year, then we can legitmately be excited about him.

Either way, think about it, how much more explosive cowboys might be next year, if both Felix and Bennet have had one year under the belt? And Roy Williams had plenty of time to work with Romo to get in sync with each other? Of course, injuries would be the concern.
And you didn't even mention Witten and Owens still on the other side as well as Austin making strides as a third receiver.

I am very excited about Bennett. At some point, he is going to require extra attention as he is too physically advantaged to be matched up 1 on 1 with a LB or most SS in the league.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He does some things a lot like Gonzales and Gates but he may be a step faster.

He is also extremely good as a blocker for a Rookie.

Its just unbelievable the type of talent this guy has.

I think Dallas drafted 4 guys that are playing at a 1st round level.

Felix, Jenkins, Bennett, and Scandrick.

Big Props to John Garrett for helping mold this guy. He may be the most undercoached player I have ever seen coming out of College with that kind of talent.

whitey_aw

Reaction score
newlander;2452497 said:
Don't know why it's taken me so long to come to that conclusion but if he really works at his trade, he can be that good. I just hope the Cowboys take advantage of his skills more than the Chiefs who have wasted TG's in my opinion.

How have they wasted his talent? He owns every record for a TE in the history of the game, and has never had a great receiver to play next to until they drafted Bowe, who looks great his first two years.

I agree that Bennett looks like him in the way he plays, but he's got a long way to go to be anywhere near as good as Gonzalez.

fortdick

Reaction score
Bennett is looking good, but he will be Witten's backup for his entire career unless we trade him, or he leaves in free agency. I would not be opposed to trading him to an AFC team before his rookie contract runs out. We certainly can get something for him, maybe more than we paid. As first round pick maybe?

superpunk

Reaction score
fortdick;2452593 said:
Bennett is looking good, but he will be Witten's backup for his entire career unless we trade him, or he leaves in free agency. I would not be opposed to trading him to an AFC team before his rookie contract runs out. We certainly can get something for him, maybe more than we paid. As first round pick maybe?
Only if the Raiders are looking for the next Doug Jolley.

To this thread.....wat.

Bluefin

Reaction score
CATCH17;2452558 said:
He does some things a lot like Gonzales and Gates but he may be a step faster.

He is also extremely good as a blocker for a Rookie.

Its just unbelievable the type of talent this guy has.
I agree on every point.

M80 is a very fast athlete who will only become more dangerous as he gains a better understanding of route running with NFL coaching.

And Tellus takes pride in his run blocking, something you won't often find in athletic tight ends who perfer the passing game.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
fortdick;2452593 said:
If they don't get a new CBA, we could keep him for additional years before he becomes an unrestricted FA.

Eskimo

Reaction score
fortdick;2452593 said:

1st round picks usually only have a 30% chance of being Pro Bowl level player - far from a sure thing.

I think we just should make him a starter and play 70% of snaps out of a 2-TE set. The OC's job is to get his best players on the field and use them effectively. A Witten/Bennett combo will be a matchup nightmare for every defense we face and is tailor-made for a hurry-up or no-huddle type offense as we can use it as a heavy package and in a spread formation.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
If Bennett continues to develop they will go to 2 TE sets and far fewer FB snaps for Anderson.

2much2soon

Reaction score
Why even consider trading the guy down the road? There is no guarantee Witten stays healthy all the time, considering the way he plays, and being able to plug in a guy like Bennett in his place is an absolute killer for the opposition.
If Bennett becomes even 75% the route runner that Witten is he will be a force when you take into account his athleticism.
Now, Witten may turn out to be the TE equivalent of Emmitt Smith in terms of durability but thats somewhat of a long shot.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Reminds me more of Kellen Winslow Sr.

Martellus Bennett | #80 | TE
Height: 6-6 Weight: 265

[youtube]zBSVcMPHld8[/youtube] [youtube]oQfbJh1m1p4[/youtube]

Kellen Winslow #80 TE
Height: 6-5 Weight: 251

VIDEO (particular attention to the catch at the :20 sec mark)

2much2soon

Reaction score
That play against the 'skins was special.
Pivotal game, on the road in a hostile environment, TD that sealed the game on a catch where he had to out-physical a DB. It was 3rd and long, as well, wasn't it?
Kid made it look pretty easy.
If Dallas only makes 1 draft pick like that every year they are way ahead of the curve.

Section446

Reaction score
There's no doubt that he's been a great addition. He will only help open things up for everyone else and create mismatches.