Bennett, TE screen - he's got some speed

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
You just start holding your breath as he gets going, because he looks like he's got some wheels heading North South. He got tripped up there (where's the hurdle, hehe) but man he just seems fluid, and with that size, it is exciting as you see him gather speed, because it doesn't seem to peak very quick.

We threw quite a few TE screens successfully in game. Were decent calls and helped with the blitzes!

LarryCanadian

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
LarryCanadian;2497344 said:
You just start holding your breath as he gets going, because he looks like he's got some wheels heading North South. He got tripped up there (where's the hurdle, hehe) but man he just seems fluid, and with that size, it is exciting as you see him gather speed, because it doesn't seem to peak very quick.

We threw quite a few TE screens successfully in game. Were decent calls and helped with the blitzes!

LarryCanadian

Bennett is like Kellen Winslow, but better - he's like an oversized Wide Receiver that would be next to impossible to cover split wide.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yea I can't believe we're running screen passes to tight ends but they've been working. Not many teams in this league can run that effectively with tight ends. We're one of the few.

30yrheel

Reaction score
i want to see this kid more involved, he's a match up nightmare

newlander

Reaction score
Good posts. I love that route with him, but I'll tell you right now RW could run that route pretty well when healthy too. T.O. could be effective with it, and then there's Felix, Choice and Austin......man we do have some talent. Would like to see it utilized some more but I'm starting to see after last night's Oline "performance" that you need blocking to get creative with the playbook. This Oline has not performed well this year and last night wasn't much different IMO.

cowboyz

Reaction score
that holding call was pure BS.

the giants wr did the same damn thing to mike jenkins and it wasn't called.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
There are only so many balls to go around. Unless the offense starts to click again. He's still not going to see many. I do agree they should split him wide and use him as a WR when we go four or five wide.

newlander

Reaction score
It's intriguing jobberone, that's for sure. We have so much talent at WR, I wouldn't doubt seeing Crayton gone next year, except I believe his contract won't allow for it. Man, the deal he signed was just...............never mind I want to keep this positive.

ONE other idea based on what you said; how about splitting Bennett wide along with RW at the goal line? Those timing/jump ball throws aren't Romo's strong suit, but they COULD BE with enough reps...........what a threat.

CowboysxSwagger

Reaction score
i love bennett
he always finds an open spot in defenses
hes another one of our talent players on this offense

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
newlander;2497514 said:
It's intriguing jobberone, that's for sure. We have so much talent at WR, I wouldn't doubt seeing Crayton gone next year, except I believe his contract won't allow for it. Man, the deal he signed was just...............never mind I want to keep this positive.

ONE other idea based on what you said; how about splitting Bennett wide along with RW at the goal line? Those timing/jump ball throws aren't Romo's strong suit, but they COULD BE with enough reps...........what a threat.

I think PC needs to stay unless we find someone better in the slot and he slides to #6 in talent.

But I would like to see Bennett at WR along with TO and Roy near the goalline. At 6-7 he has to be a handful there.

superpunk

Reaction score
casmith07;2497350 said:
Bennett is like Kellen Winslow, but better - he's like an oversized Wide Receiver that would be next to impossible to cover split wide.
Easy, tiger.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
LarryCanadian;2497344 said:

LarryCanadian

He shows that basketball skill he has. He would have been easily drafted in the NBA had he choosen to enter their draft.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
casmith07;2497350 said:

The son or the father? :laugh1: I think Bennett upside is limitless I think the guy has all the physical talents he needs to be an outstanding TE in this league. Right now he is a rookie who is still finding his way but I think if Bennett is willing to work on his game he has the ability to be an outstanding NFL player

alancdc

Reaction score
Love teh play, and said it on Monday. He does need to figure out how to not get tackled being 6'8" when a guy is lying on the ground though. I like the kid.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I love the idea of using him on the goalline. The problem is who do you pull to put him in? We don't normally run 4 wide on the goal.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jobberone;2501905 said:
I love the idea of using him on the goalline. The problem is who do you pull to put him in? We don't normally run 4 wide on the goal.

You run a double TE set with Witten that gives us 2 big targets with good hands and still leaves us in a situation where we can run the ball

newlander

Reaction score
I thought I saw them use that formation before Doomsday? If not, they should because it would be virtually unstoppable. As for Bennett: he's faster than RW right now because RW is hurt: BUT who do you think is faster when RW is healthy? Think a second before you answer: I watched RW his whole career with Detroit and he was never that fast: it isn't paramount to his success. (just like it wasn't with Micheal Irvin)

However, Bennett and RW could be almost interchangeable if you think about it. Bennett, JWitt and RW can run routes from the Hback, Tight end, and slot positions. Bennett and RW can also be split out wide. MAN, when you consider T.O., Austin, and Crayton added to the mix, not to mention MB3, Choice and Felix (when he gets healthy) out of the backfield, no wonder Red passes more to set up the run. I'm a traditionalist, and know you have to run to win in December: especially in cold weather games, but that lineup of talent is unstoppable if they get any blocking at all.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
newlander;2501986 said:
I thought I saw them use that formation before Doomsday? If not, they should because it would be virtually unstoppable. As for Bennett: he's faster than RW right now because RW is hurt: BUT who do you think is faster when RW is healthy? Think a second before you answer: I watched RW his whole career with Detroit and he was never that fast: it isn't paramount to his success. (just like it wasn't with Micheal Irvin)

However, Bennett and RW could be almost interchangeable if you think about it. Bennett, JWitt and RW can run routes from the Hback, Tight end, and slot positions. Bennett and RW can also be split out wide. MAN, when you consider T.O., Austin, and Crayton added to the mix, not to mention MB3, Choice and Felix (when he gets healthy) out of the backfield, no wonder Red passes more to set up the run. I'm a traditionalist, and know you have to run to win in December: especially in cold weather games, but that lineup of talent is unstoppable if they get any blocking at all.

They have ran it the double TE set before. As for who is faster Bennett or RW when healthy RW I too have seen a lot of him both in the pros and college. RW has long strides he does not always look as quick with his running style but he covers a lot of ground quickly. I do agree speed is not what makes a WR great I'll take rout running and hands any day of the week be it Irvin or Jerry Rice and with RW I do like how he goes up and battles for the ball and how he catches it cleanly with his hands.

STSINAZ

Reaction score
rocyaice;2497352 said:
Yea I can't believe we're running screen passes to tight ends but they've been working. Not many teams in this league can run that effectively with tight ends. We're one of the few.

Bennett. Choice jones r williams m austin stanbach. The future is bright. This team is going to explode next year