Bentley Wants to be Paid

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Posted: News 23 Feb 2006 12:19 am CT
Bentley to be Free
By Rafael Vela 2 Comments

Today is the last day for franchises to designate transition players or franchise players.

One major offense line candidate will hit the market, as the New Orleans Saints announced they will not place either tag on center LeCharles Bentley.

The four year veteran from Ohio State wants a contract similar to the one signed by Panthers’ OG Mike Wahle last year — five years, $28 million with an $11.5 million signing bonus. That might be too rich for Dallas, who signed Wahle’s former Packers teammate Marco Rivera to a five year, $20 million deal with a $9 million bonus last year.

We’ll see. Free agency begins on March 3rd.

Manster68

Reaction score
Listening to the Saints flagship station, WWL 870 AM, Mike D'Tillier said that Bently is looking for 6 million dollars a year.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
ELDudearino said:
these guys are crazy paying that

It does seem that way, however, us fans keep purchasing NFL tickets and merchandise to allow this to happen...

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I don't think it has to happen. Their are some areas on the line where you can go cheap...You can go cheap on one guard and a center IMO. But both tackles have to be pretty good, and atleast one guard has to be pretty good.

The other guard has to be solid, and your center has to be solid. NOt great, solid.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Teague31 said:
Posted: News 23 Feb 2006 12:19 am CT
Bentley to be Free
By Rafael Vela 2 Comments

Today is the last day for franchises to designate transition players or franchise players.

One major offense line candidate will hit the market, as the New Orleans Saints announced they will not place either tag on center LeCharles Bentley.

The four year veteran from Ohio State wants a contract similar to the one signed by Panthers’ OG Mike Wahle last year — five years, $28 million with an $11.5 million signing bonus. That might be too rich for Dallas, who signed Wahle’s former Packers teammate Marco Rivera to a five year, $20 million deal with a $9 million bonus last year.

We’ll see. Free agency begins on March 3rd.
Right now that price looks steep, but we'd solidify the center position with an All Pro center for the next 4-5 seasons.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Bentley would be nice, but I say we draft some linemen in the draft and see how Colombo is and see if the likes of Petitti, Rogers and Peterman show anything before we invest big on an Olineman in FA again.

DBoys

Reaction score
Players will never learn if they want to get paid they will play on a crappy team.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
Wahle is a great player, but between he and Bentley, the latter is better deserving of that kind of money. Bentley plays two positions and plays them well. I could see Jerry Jones paying out like that, but I think Parcells is pretty high on Johnson still. So...I'll say no Bentley for that reason, not the money issue. That being said, I'd love to see him in Dallas, tho.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Hailmary said:
Bentley would be nice, but I say we draft some linemen in the draft and see how Colombo is and see if the likes of Petitti, Rogers and Peterman show anything before we invest big on an Olineman in FA again.
A little concerned about Colombo... He's never played over 5 games in his 4 year career.

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I don't think it has to happen. Their are some areas on the line where you can go cheap...You can go cheap on one guard and a center IMO. But both tackles have to be pretty good, and atleast one guard has to be pretty good.

The other guard has to be solid, and your center has to be solid. NOt great, solid.

Not with Bledsoe behind Center... you'd better have a very good interior or that statue is going to get beat down...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think that if we're going to sign a guy like Bently, we need to make some hard and fast decisions on Allen, Adams and Rivera. We can not afford to have all of these contracts on the OL. If we sign Bently, Allen needs to go period. Rivera and Adams need to be redone or one of them needs to be moved. Adams gets paid Tackle money which would be OK if he were playing good football. However, I do not believe that is the case. I think he would need to be reworked and possibly moved to RT. Rivera just needs to play well or he needs to be gone. Nothing personal just economics IMO. We can't afford to pay 4 huge salaries on the OL.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
If we sign Bently, Allen needs to go period. Rivera and Adams need to be redone or one of them needs to be moved.

Aw damn my man. You just struck a cord with some on this forum that rivals Moses questions God in the desert.

"You can't just get rid of Allen. He's the cornerstone of the franchise."

Mark my words ABQ, that's what you are going to hear.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
the DoNkEy PuNcH said:
Aw damn my man. You just struck a cord with some on this forum that rivals Moses questions God in the desert.

"You can't just get rid of Allen. He's the cornerstone of the franchise."

Mark my words ABQ, that's what you are going to hear.

Probably. I had this discussion two years ago and was beat about the head and shoulders till I bleed from the ears but never the less, I think it has to happen if we are going to bring on another big contract on the OL.

Pokes28

Reaction score
I would love to see Dallas pony up a good contract. I'm so tired of seeing our Centers get abused year after year.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh