Best Cowboys team ever?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Of the Cowboys 5 SB championship teams, which one do yuo think was the best?

IMO it was the 1993 team that repeated as SB champs. Didnt have as much depth as the 1992 team, but Emmitt, Troy and Irvin were all at the height of their careers and that year's O-Line was our best ever.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Well, I'm only 22 so I don't know the 70s teams. So I would also say the 1993 Cowboys were the best in my lifetime. I wonder how good we would have been in 1994 if Jimmy returned tho.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It was clearly the 1993 team that repeated with a Super Bowl win over the Bills.

Even though that team finished 12-4, the first two losses came with Emmitt Smith as a holdout, they were beat by Atlanta 27-14 and then loss a game they had won if not for Leon Lett touching a ball sputtering in the snow after a missed field goal.

And I won't even mention (okay, I'll mention it) the grit and determination displayed by Emmitt Smith in the Giants game that cemented home field advantage for the Boyz. Had he been in all season that would have not only been a part of Emmitt's lore but the Cowboys' lore as a team that swept through the season on to its second Super Bowl victory of the 90s.

That team in all likelihood would have finished 15-1 and ranked with the great 49ers and Bears teams.

jgboys1

Reaction score
Well the first football game I ever watched was Super bowl VI, so I am a little impartial here , but that 1993 team was not to bad either. But I voted for the 1971 team.

DipChit

Reaction score
No question in my mind that it was the 2002 team.

They were primed and ready to run the table.. 19-0!

Course that got derailed a lil bit when they lost to that expansion outfit in week 1. Oh well.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think that before you can have a poll such as this one, you have to qualify it by stipulating that only people who were around to watch both teams are elligable to vote. How else can you have a fair poll?

;)

burmafrd

Reaction score
The 71 Team had many more HOF players then the 93 or 77 team will ever have. Bob Lilly, Roger, Wright, Ditka, ALworth, Renfro, Adderly.
And those that should be like the Bullett, Howley, Jordan, Green, Waters and Harris. NOt to mention Hill, Garrison, Thomas, Pugh, Andrie, Nye What made the 71 team so great was the balance of offense and Defense. AND THAT WAS THE ORIGINAL DOOMSDAY.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
So clear I voted for the '77 team.

I should have added, "In My Opinion." ;)

I was too young to properly evaluate the 77 team so I didn't even take them into consideration.

My bad. :D

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
The 71 Team had many more HOF players then the 93 or 77 team will ever have. Bob Lilly, Roger, Wright, Ditka, ALworth, Renfro, Adderly.
And those that should be like the Bullett, Howley, Jordan, Green, Waters and Harris. NOt to mention Hill, Garrison, Thomas, Pugh, Andrie, Nye What made the 71 team so great was the balance of offense and Defense. AND THAT WAS THE ORIGINAL DOOMSDAY.

Don't forget Landry and probably Dan Reeves for his coaching career.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
For me, it's 1971...

Notes:

That team outscored every team in the league that year by a wide margin.

Only 5 teams gave up less points.

The roster was 3 deep at RB with Duane Thomas, Calvin Hill and Walt Garrison.

The QB was a future Hall of Famer...and for my money, the best in team history.

Tough to beat Bob Hayes, Lance Alworth and Mike Ditka as the primary receivers. Reggie Rucker, who went on to have a very good career, couldn't even get on the field.

But for me, the names on the defense were amazing...Lilly, Howley, Jordan, Pugh, Andrie...and a secondary of Renfro, Adderly, Cornell Green, Waters, and Cliff Harris.

The coach? Tom Landry.

And let's not forget this was the team that had to overcome all the pressure of being labelled as the team that couldn't win the big game.

Ultimately, this is simply a fun discussion cuz no one can prove anything...but I truly loved the 1971 team.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Serious honorable mention has to go to the 78 Cowboys that lost to Pittsburgh. Still haven't gotten over that loss and to this day insist we were the better team. That was a defending Superbowl Champion loaded with All-Pros and Hall of Famers. Perhaps the best Cowboy team ever.
I was also a big fan of the 81 Cowboys that should have beaten SF.

But the 1993 team tops them all. I have never been so confident that my team would win ever single time they took the field. Still can't believe they managed to lose 4 games that year.

I hardly see anyone mention what I believe really set that team apart:
Short yardage and goalline offense.
Every other good team in the league at that time and since are a 50/50 bet 1st and goal at the 5 yard line.
But that 1993 team was money in that spot.
Third and one, two or even three yards that team was running and with a high success ratio. Do you ever see anyone run the ball on third and 3 with the confidence and success that that team had.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I actually believe that our best team ever was in 1968. We were stunned by the Browns in the playoffs though and Don Meredith quit after that game.

I voted for the 1993 team.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I voted for the 1992 team.

To me it was clear that....

"Next Years Champions were here a YEAR early" ;)