Best FS in the country declares.....

Skeptic

Reaction score
Pool Enters Draft......

Associated Press
NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma free safety Brodney Pool signed with an agent Wednesday, solidifying his status as an early entry into the NFL draft.

Pool had until Wednesday to pull his name out of the draft, but instead signed with agent Ben Dogra of St. Louis-based SFX. He will skip his senior season to take part in the draft, which begins April 23 in New York.

"He seems to be a legitimate contender for the No. 1 free safety spot in the 2005 NFL draft," Dogra told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "I believe that he is the best free safety in the country."

Pool had a team-high seven interceptions in 2003 and two more this season after the Sooners lost cornerback Derrick Strait to the NFL. Oklahoma was also without its top returning cornerback, Antonio Perkins, for part of the season.

Pool, listed at 6-foot-3 and 208 pounds, led the Sooners with 92 tackles and nine passes broken up.

Dogra said Pool has tools that can make him a similar player to Baltimore Ravens safety Ed Reed, who was AP's defensive player of the year this season.

Dogra said Pool has tremendous pass coverage instincts, he can run, he has a 40-inch vertical leap and he can also deliver a hit on an opposing player.

"He brings an awful lot to the table that NFL teams look for," Dogra said.

Dogra said Pool's most desired ability might be his range across the field.

"You can't get that in most safeties," Dogra said.

Dogra said he considered this year's senior class weak in safeties, which would benefit Pool. Pool had already decided to leave Oklahoma before he contacted Dogra, the agent said. However, Dogra said he knew it was a "very tough decision" for Pool.

"He's torn," Dogra said.

Dogra said Pool was already training at Athletes' Performance in Phoenix, a facility where athletes from many sports -- including Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling and tennis player Jennifer Capriati -- have worked out.

"He is an unbelievable athlete," Dogra said. "If he gets up tomorrow and he runs, he's going to run better than most players … This is a kid that already has remarkable athletic ability."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Add Pool at FS to team up with Roy? A Sooner combination at Safety?

I like it.

Let's go get Antonio Perkins in the second, after a bunch of morons pass on him in the late first......

Roughneck

Reaction score
Brodney Pool = Burnt Toast

Dude was absolutely torched time and time again this season.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
He may not be a Day 1 pick. Hope the kid is getting good advice.

nathanlt

Reaction score
A shadow of Roy Williams, and even more of a liability in coverage. Nope, we need a ballhawk like Josh Bullock or Butler, I think his name is. Someone who COMPLEMENTS Roy Williams.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
nathanlt said:
A shadow of Roy Williams, and even more of a liability in coverage. Nope, we need a ballhawk like Josh Bullock or Butler, I think his name is. Someone who COMPLEMENTS Roy Williams.

Nope, what we need is a free agent veteran safety to go along with Roy. And Roy is not that bad in coverage.

Reed

Reaction score
This kid seems to be a very good athlete. That is what you need to draft in todays nfl, i dont see him being a bad pick if we can coach him correctly. Look at all the teams in the playoffs still, its all about coaching athletes these days. 40 inch vertical is nuts, newman had a 42 and deangolo hall had a 38.

Hoods

Reaction score
Fletch said:
Roy is not that bad in coverage.
I agree. People are starting to over-exaggerate the issue. Roy has been "burned" by receivers according to some, but they don't realize..

1. Everyone screws up time to time. Look at Champ.
2. His corners aren't helping out much.
3. His defensive line isn't helping out much, if at all.
4. He's been beat by real good receivers. People go crazy when TO got past him. Do they think he's the only person that TO has scored on?

Reaction score
Buckeye said:
I would rather have Ernest Shazor. :rolleyes:

Thats right, Shazor is a beast...Michigan has some very nice talent coming out this year in Edwards, Jackson, Shazor and Baas. GO BIG BLUE!!!!!

I was just reading over some mock drafts and was thinking if BP switches to a 3-4 and DJ is available at 11 we get him then trade down our 20 pick to maybe near the end of 1st round then with our 2nd pick take Darryl Blackstock out of UVA. That would give this defense a nice boost.

Buckeye

Reaction score
D41lasCowboys31 said:
Thats right, Shazor is a beast...Michigan has some very nice talent coming out this year in Edwards, Jackson, Shazor and Baas. GO BIG BLUE!!!!!
Psh. Shazor was non-existent through the whole month of November and the Rose Bowl. According to the Michigan fans, Shazor was going to "re-define the safety position" his senior year. So much for that.
And Henne's losing his butt-buddy Braylon Edwards. So long Braylon.

ghst187

Reaction score
Pool did not impress at all.....toasted and roasted again and again when he played against an NFL-style passing offense. Great athlete, I'd prefer to take Bullochs with a much later pick than Pool will command.
What about James Butler? Does he play Free or Strong?
We may need to go with a FA at FS. They're not that expensive anyway...

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I'm still in the mode of putting Hunter in at FS....Then looking into the FA market for a CB. Then use our 1st 2 picks for DL and WR.