News: Best of Jon Machota: How Cowboys could end up with Ezekiel Elliott and Paxton Lynch; My way-too-earl

CCBoy

Reaction score
Best of Jon Machota: How Cowboys could end up with Ezekiel Elliott and Paxton Lynch; My way-too-early guess for the first four picks

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...paxton-lynch-way-early-guess-first-four-picks

...It's obvious the Cowboys need a running back who can power his way for three yards with contact every play. I believe the running back position is what changed this team from last year. So you believe the Cowboys can addres this position in the draft and or free agency? If so, which players do you think are the best fit in doing so?

Jon Machota: The best player for filling their need at RB would probably be Ohio State's Ezekiel Elliott. Most project him to be the first running back drafted. To me, he'd be the ideal guy if the Cowboys were able to trade back. Move back to about 10-15, get Elliott and someone's second round pick. Looking over the draft order, they'd probably need to do it before the Colts pick at 18. Maybe they trade back to 15 with the Rams. St. Louis doesn't need a RB because they drafted Todd Gurley last year. And it would be a reverse of the 2012 draft when Dallas traded up with STL to get Mo Claiborne. That was a swap of No. 6 in exchange for No. 14 and No. 45.

...Do you have a 'mock draft', at least for the first 4 picks?

Jon Machota: It's obviously way too early, but I'll go with ... 1. Laremy Tunsil, OT, to Tennessee, 2. Jared Goff, QB, to Cleveland, 3. Jalen Ramsey, CB, to San Diego and the Cowboys getting Ohio State DE Joey Bosa at No. 4. I think Rod Marinelli would love working with this kid. I haven't seen any mocks having him still on the board when the Cowboys pick, so I figured I'd be different. Goff is the key piece. If Cleveland takes him at No. 2, I think Dallas ends up taking the best player available. If Cleveland goes with Bosa, I think the Cowboys could end up with Goff. It all depends on what the scouts and coaches think of his workouts going forward. They will pull the trigger on a QB at No. 4 if they think one has the potential to be their franchise QB of the future. I'm not sold on Paxton Lynch going fourth overall.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I think by the time late April rolls around....I'm going to be sick of hearing dumb trade down scenerios.

:laugh: I would think that by the time April rolls around I will be desperate for virtually any news period.

Sydla

Reaction score
Unless the team goes heavy on defense in free agency, if we end up doing the scenario he suggests - Elliott and then trading both 2nd rounders for Lynch - I am going to need a new TV after the first day of the draft.