Cowboys - Roger Staubach
Eagles - Chuck Bednarik
Commanders - Sammy Baugh
Giants - Frank Gifford

ravidubey

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Gotta agree with this one.

Especially since White was an Eagle only half his career. Bednarik was a number one overall pick and played both center and linebacker.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to break this down into two categories, the best all-time and the best, period. I may discuss alternatives when I do..

Dallas

Best All Time: Roger Staubach
Best I ever saw: Roger Staubach

Alternatives: Emmitt Smith, Bob Lilly, Troy Aikman, Bob Hayes.

In terms of Bob, the HOF may not want him because of the drug rap, but when you redefine how people play football, your impact is pretty obvious.

Philadelphia

Best All Time: Steve Van Buren
Best I saw: Reggie White

Chuck Bednarik can eat my shorts. Steve Van Buren was the best runner in football prior to Jim Brown.

Washington:

Best All Time: Sam Baugh
Best I saw: John Riggins

The "best I saw" category for the Skins is the toughest, because Joe Gibbs had an assembly line of players go through his system. One good player would replace another, but his star has always been the running back that makes it all work. Of all of Gibb's running backs, I respected Riggo the most. If I were a little older, "Best I saw" might be Sonny Jurgenson.

N.Y. Giants:

I'm going to split this team a little differently, since Lawrence Taylor was a physical freak who defined what a "rush linebacker" was. I'm doing this because the most unreal performance I ever saw from a Giants player, pound for pound, was that of Joe Morris, in the two seasons of 1985 and 1986. Joe literally was the difference in 1986. Without him, that team never gets out of the NFC playoffs.

so:

Defense: Lawrence Taylor
Offense: Joe Morris.

ravidubey

Reaction score
dwmyers said:
I'm doing this because the most unreal performance I ever saw from a Giants player, pound for pound, was that of Joe Morris, in the two seasons of 1985 and 1986. Joe literally was the difference in 1986. Without him, that team never gets out of the NFC playoffs.

Nice Post. Regarding this last bit, since we're talking about the best ever and not the best for one season I'll have to disagree on Morris.

dwmyers said:
Without him, that team never gets out of the NFC playoffs.

You can say this about many players that year. Phil Simms, Carl Banks, Mark Bavaro, and even Phil McConkey were each critical contributers that year. It can be argued that Simms maturity is what truly put the Giants over the top in 1986. IMO, it was simply their not having to face the Chicago Bears on the schedule and playing Washington in a stiff, swirling wind. That Bears team would have crushed the Giants 10 times out of 10 any time from 1985 to 1987. They were simply tougher than the Giants in every phase and the Giants didn't have the receivers to threaten the Bears deep. Washington did, and that's how Joe Gibbs truly earned my respect as a coach.

dwmyers

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Nice Post. Regarding this last bit, since we're talking about the best ever and not the best for one season I'll have to disagree on Morris.

You can say this about many players that year. Phil Simms, Carl Banks, Mark Bavaro, and even Phil McConkey were each critical contributers that year. It can be argued that Simms maturity is what truly put the Giants over the top in 1986. IMO, it was simply their not having to face the Chicago Bears on the schedule and playing Washington in a stiff, swirling wind. That Bears team would have crushed the Giants 10 times out of 10 any time from 1985 to 1987. They were simply tougher than the Giants in every phase and the Giants didn't have the receivers to threaten the Bears deep. Washington did, and that's how Joe Gibbs truly earned my respect as a coach.

I'll disagree here. Phil Simms had been around for a while and the problem with the mid 1980s Giants teams is that Phil was always trying to do too much. He was a good, almost great passer who would give up critical interceptions and lose the game. The absence of a great running game is what separated that team from true greatness and Joe Morris's 1986 season gave that team exactly what it needed to win.

If you count me sentimental, so be it. I'll gladly wear that charge on my collar.

David.

dwmyers

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Chuck Norris fears no man... except Chuch Bednarik...

Yea, but you grew up in Bossier City. How can you ignore the tale of a running back whose position in college (at LSU, no less) was fullback?

Further, I think in the late 1940s everyone was a two way player, including Steve. It was the Browns who introduced platooning.

David.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
leonargized said:
in the history of each NFC east team...

DALLAS-----Emmitt Smith
Eagles------Reggie White
Commanders----Sammy Baugh

Giants------L.T
yep, that's exactly what I would have put..

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
dwmyers said:
Yea, but you grew up in Bossier City. How can you ignore the tale of a running back whose position in college (at LSU, no less) was fullback?

Further, I think in the late 1940s everyone was a two way player, including Steve. It was the Browns who introduced platooning.

David.

I have no issues with Van Buren... this is an opinion thread after all... he was a great player and a Louisiana legend...

I just didn't want to have to clean up the mess after you offered your shorts to Mr. Bednarik... :D

dwmyers

Reaction score
trickblue said:
I have no issues with Van Buren... this is an opinion thread after all... he was a great player and a Louisiana legend...

I just didn't want to have to clean up the mess after you offered your shorts to Mr. Bednarik... :D

I'll put it this way. It's nice that Chuck was a tough guy and a throwback, but an argument could be made that he wasn't the most important player on the Philadelphia team that won the NFL championship.

Does Philadelphia beat Green Bay without Norm Van Brocklin? All he was voted the year they won the title was the 1960 NFL MVP.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
dwmyers said:
I'll put it this way. It's nice that Chuck was a tough guy and a throwback, but an argument could be made that he wasn't the most important player on the Philadelphia team that won the NFL championship.

Does Philadelphia beat Green Bay without Norm Van Brocklin? All he was voted the year they won the title was the 1960 NFL MVP.

Well, Bednarik was the starting Center for that team as well. One can make the point that Van Brocklin would never had had that season if Bednarik hadn't done a pretty good job himself.

Regardless, I would never consider Norm Van Brocklin as the best player the Eagles ever had just as I would never consider Forrest Gregg or Mike Ditka or Herb Adderly or Deion or Charles Haley the best for us. Van Brocklin only played 58-60 with the Eagles. The majority of his career was played with the Rams. To me, Bednarik has much more claim to it. Even the Van Buren. Van Buren was great but for only 6 or 7 years and really only 4 or 5 real great years. Bednarik, on the other hand, was the last Iron Man. Missed only 3 games in 14 years. 9 times all NFL, MVP in 54, Named to All Time NFL team at Center in 69 and absolutly the most feared man in the Game during his playing days. All other's are measured against Chuck Bednarik in this regard. Straight out SOB and a real AH? Sure, but he was still an all time great and the greatest Eagle ever IMO. Of cousre, I'm not an Eagle fan.