Better for you... or someone else? What do you think?

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Marty Schottenheimer and AJ Smith werent exactly on the same page when it came to coaching personel decisions.

It seems Marty wanted to give his staff the chance and grant permission to allow them to talk to other teams in hopes of promotions.

AJ Smith on the other hand apparently didnt like the idea of this and it ultimately lead to the firing of Marty.

My question is... do you blame Marty for allowing his guys an oppurtunity to help themselves even at the expense of his team?

Personally... I believe Marty Schottenheimer did the right thing, he was looking out for his staff and wanted them to succeed and do whats best for themselve.

I understand where Adams is coming from, since the goal of the organization is to put in place the best available players AND coaches, but the idea of holding back coaches that have got you where you are today seems unfair.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
smarta5150;1376456 said:
Marty Schottenheimer and AJ Smith werent exactly on the same page when it came to coaching personel decisions.

It seems Marty wanted to give his staff the chance and grant permission to allow them to talk to other teams in hopes of promotions.

AJ Smith on the other hand apparently didnt like the idea of this and it ultimately lead to the firing of Marty.

My question is... do you blame Marty for allowing his guys an oppurtunity to help themselves even at the expense of his team?

Personally... I believe Marty Schottenheimer did the right thing, he was looking out for his staff and wanted them to succeed and do whats best for themselve.

I understand where Adams is coming from, since the goal of the organization is to put in place the best available players AND coaches, but the idea of holding back coaches that have got you where you are today seems unfair.

I think Marty's loyalty should be with the club, not the coachs. You do everything you can to mentor them, teach them, help them grow.. but the bottom line is, if they are under contract then I wouldn't let them interview either, unless they just didn't fit my plans. If they are good coachs, their chance will come when their contract is up.

superpunk

Reaction score
The only guy they could have held back is Manusky, I think - the others moved to head coaching gigs. And that decision is probably made by the team, since they're under contract with the Chargers, not Marty.

(Was Manusky even under contract?)

carphalen5150

Reaction score
Manusky is the one Marty should of been adament about keeping. It seemed almost like Marty knew this was his last real run as coach, so he wanted to set guys up on his way out. I blame Marty, he should of at least tried to come to some agreement with Manusky to get an Asst HC label it Wade stuck around. However, to do so he would of had to work this out with Smith.

joseephuss

Reaction score
superpunk;1376504 said:
The only guy they could have held back is Manusky, I think - the others moved to head coaching gigs. And that decision is probably made by the team, since they're under contract with the Chargers, not Marty.

(Was Manusky even under contract?)

Yep it really is up to Smith and Spanos to decide to allow coaches under contract to interview with other teams. Marty may offer his opinion, but he doesn't make that call in the end.