Better solve the RT dilemna...

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
The Eagles plan to use Jevon Kearse exlusive at left end this season.
This should help his productivity. Kearse was not especially comfortable working on both sides of the defensive line last season. Jun. 13 - 6:43 pm et
Source: Sporting News
After moving DE Jevon Kearse to the right side at times last year, the Eagles have decided to put Kearse almost exclusively on the left side this season. Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson moved Kearse last season mostly to take advantage of matchups against slower left tackles. He also played Kearse on the right side against Falcons QB Michael Vick in order to contain the lefthanded passer. But after offseason evaluations, the Eagles concluded Kearse is a more natural left end. . . .

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This is nothing more than the Eagles and Kearse admitting he was mediocre last year. You move guys around to get them in solo matchups. Kearse staying on one side will just get doubled as the eags struggle to find a counterpart for him.

Of the RT candidates I think all can handle Kearse tho the slower guys may need a chip from a back or TE to keep him inside. Now handling Strahan is a whole nother issue.

I expect Dallas to have a better DL then Philly this year.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
The Eagles plan to use Jevon Kearse exlusive at left end this season.
This should help his productivity. Kearse was not especially comfortable working on both sides of the defensive line last season. Jun. 13 - 6:43 pm et
Source: Sporting News
After moving DE Jevon Kearse to the right side at times last year, the Eagles have decided to put Kearse almost exclusively on the left side this season. Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson moved Kearse last season mostly to take advantage of matchups against slower left tackles. He also played Kearse on the right side against Falcons QB Michael Vick in order to contain the lefthanded passer. But after offseason evaluations, the Eagles concluded Kearse is a more natural left end. . . .

who cares...Kearse hasnt even been GOOD in 3 or 4 seasons now...guy is still living off the name he made as a rookie and 2nd yr player...he's just another guy now

David

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
who cares...Kearse hasnt even been GOOD in 3 or 4 seasons now...guy is still living off the name he made as a rookie and 2nd yr player...he's just another guy now

David
I disagree.
My best friend is a ShEagles fan so I never miss a game.
Kearse is repeatedly in the backfield disrupting plays, hurrying QBs and causing problems. He's fast and longarmed. He's a good player and worth accounting for.
The one thing I will say negative about him though is that he is the most fragile, girlieman I've ever seen. He leaves the field because of some minor injury every other play, grimacing in pain everytime.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
austintodallas said:
One word...Pettiti.
Man, I hope so.

That guy could turn out to be a real steal if he can crack the starting lineup. Even more so if he becomes a force on the right side. I do think he has the best chance of any of the RT options to win the job. He's massive and was able to shut down Freeney and some other dominant DEs in college games.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I am really hoping Petitti wins the RT spot but it will depend on how much Parcells lets him play there during TC and pre-season. Bill has a habit of not going with rookies when he has veterans at that position but hopefully with all the other rookies we are counting on this year he will let Petitti compete for the spot.

Having Dan Campbell back will also help against guys like Kearse and Strahan. He is like a 6th OL and does a great job of keeping those guys out of the backfield.

I'm not worried about Kearse, in fact he should be worried about us.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
I disagree.
Kearse is repeatedly in the backfield disrupting plays, hurrying QBs and causing problems. He's fast and longarmed. He's a good player and worth accounting for.
The one thing I will say negative about him though is that he is the most fragile, girlieman I've ever seen. He leaves the field because of some minor injury every other play, grimacing in pain everytime.

dont know what games you are watching, but the games I saw Kearse play he was hardly noticeable, and he's been that way for 3-4 yrs now

David

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
THUMPER said:
I am really hoping Petitti wins the RT spot but it will depend on how much Parcells lets him play there during TC and pre-season. Bill has a habit of not going with rookies when he has veterans at that position but hopefully with all the other rookies we are counting on this year he will let Petitti compete for the spot.

Having Dan Campbell back will also help against guys like Kearse and Strahan. He is like a 6th OL and does a great job of keeping those guys out of the backfield.

I'm not worried about Kearse, in fact he should be worried about us.

Only prob there is he is practicing on the Left Side. BP said he made a mistake last year trying to move Rogers and will play Rob on the left side this year.

Your RT is likely Larry Allen. If he gets ahold of Kearse expect Kearse limping off of the field early with a bruised tailbone.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
I disagree.
Kearse had all of 31 total tackles last season. Ellis had 59, Glover 41. He wasn't in the backfield or disrupting much at all. He competely disappeared in the playoffs.

davey999

Reaction score
jterrell said:
Only prob there is he is practicing on the Left Side. BP said he made a mistake last year trying to move Rogers and will play Rob on the left side this year.

Your RT is likely Larry Allen. If he gets ahold of Kearse expect Kearse limping off of the field early with a bruised tailbone.

Key part of that is "If he gets ahold of.."

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
jterrell said:

That will work too.

TheHustler

Reaction score
no big deal. this just means our running to the right side as improved......

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
I have to say that I believe our offensive line is the least of our worries this year. However Bill decides to arrange them we'll have three pro-bowlers on the field at all times (barring injury of course), not to mention a scrappy up and coming center who could very well make the pro-bowl this year in his own right. One of the young guys (Peterman, Pettiti, etc.) will step up sufficient enough to fill the remaining void at gaurd or tackle depending on how we line up LA. Geez, I think I could probably block Jevon Kearse for a couple of plays if I had Marco Rivera and Dan Campbell on either side of me!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
austintodallas said:
I have say that I believe our offensive line is the least of our worries this year. However Bill decides to arrange them we'll have three pro-bowlers on the field at all times (barring injury of course), not to mention a scrappy up and coming center who could very well make the pro-bowl this year in his own right. One of the young guys (Peterman, Pettiti, etc.) will step up sufficient enough to fill the remaining void at gaurd or tackle depending on how we line up LA. Geez, I think I could probably block Jevon Kearse for a couple of plays if I had Marco Rivera and Dan Campbell on either side of me!

I agree...the offensive line, if healthy will be good...its certainly the least of my worries

I'm more worried about getting pressure on opposing QB's...forcing turnovers with some regularity and seeing if Drew Bledsoe can at least be average to above average most weeks..1999 was the last time we've seen consistently good QB play...thats a LONG time....1995 was probably the last time we saw a decent pass rush...thats a VERY LONG time

David

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Did Kearse do anything against the Cowboys last season with Vollers/Tucker at RT? I sure don't remember anything.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
I disagree.

Wow! Fast and long-armed. Sounds similar to our very own DeMarcus Ware. :cool: