Big Ben is the only first round QB still alive

Doomsday101

Reaction score

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
He also throws fewer passes than the other QB because Pitt relies heavy on the run game and their defense. This is not a knock on Ben I think it is smart on the part of Pitt not to put the burden of the offense soley on Rothlisberger

True, but when Ben throws, he makes very good decisions. And yeah, when Pitt tried to play like Cinci, in their home,they lost. I think that thought them a lesson to go back to their style of football.

So in way you are correct that they don't put the burden on Ben, but I also think, they don't have the weapons yet, to start throwing all over the field either. Especially on Defense, cause their Secondary is weak, if they have to be constantly be on field quickly, and if their offense is scoring quickly, that puts pressure on Front 7.

Ben does a lot by himself though, in creating plays via his running and escapability etc. I was hoping he would fail this year, although I was high on him when he came out, just because he plays for Pittsburgh, but no such luck :D

dwmyers

Reaction score
That's an absolutely scary thread title. It makes you wonder who killed the other first rounders.

:grin2:

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
He also throws fewer passes than the other QB because Pitt relies heavy on the run game and their defense. This is not a knock on Ben I think it is smart on the part of Pitt not to put the burden of the offense soley on Rothlisberger

Big Ben is a good QB, and if he was ours, I would be very happy.

I really admire his toughness, he definately hangs in the pocket and delivers the ball regardless of how hard he's about to get hit.

So in way you are correct that they don't put the burden on Ben, but I also think, they don't have the weapons yet, to start throwing all over the field either. Especially on Defense, cause their Secondary is weak, if they have to be constantly be on field quickly, and if their offense is scoring quickly, that puts pressure on Front 7.

They have one of the best front 7's in football, and their secondary is good enough. Haggans and Porter put alot of heat on the QB (They had 19.5 sacks between the two of them), so it allows the secondary to be more aggressive. Palamalou is a good player, dont get me wrong, but alot of his succes comes from rushed throws coupled with his knack for making a big play.

I do agree though, they don't have the weapons to be gunning it all over the field like Cinci, Indy, etc. But hey, they are still in the playoffs.

The pick of Heath Miller kind of shows us how they like their offense, and how they keep it simple for Roeth. Randle-El is a good speed guy, but Ward and Miller are really good safety valves, possession types for Ben.

Hate to say it, but Pittsburgh is probably the best team left.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:

Very true. Without a running game Ben would be like Brett Favre was this year. He cant read defenses good enough to be a gunslinger type, at best he is a glorified Jake Plummer.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
joshjwc9 said:
Very true. Without a running game Ben would be like Brett Favre was this year. He cant read defenses good enough to be a gunslinger type, at best he is a glorified Jake Plummer.

Maybe.

Let's just slow down though...he has gotten them to the AFC Championship game two years running. You can bring the Trent Dilfer argument, but he had his 1 year, just like the Ravens.

For a second year starter and player, his numbers speak for themself...as does the Steelers record without him..which we saw this year. People doubted Brady too when he had his first tastes of success, Ben is gonna be a good QB for the next decade

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
Maybe.

Let's just slow down though...he has gotten them to the AFC Championship game two years running. You can bring the Trent Dilfer argument, but he had his 1 year, just like the Ravens.

For a second year starter and player, his numbers speak for themself...as does the Steelers record without him..which we saw this year. People doubted Brady too when he had his first tastes of success, Ben is gonna be a good QB for the next decade

We will see next year after Jerome retires and all they have at RB is Duce and Willie, not having that shortyardage guy will affect their playcalling severely IMO.

He wont be good if Randle El, Jerome, Kendall Simmons, and Hope/Haggans are all leaving. They will be pressed against the cap like last year where their only addition was Cedrick Wilson. Their window is closing fast too.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joshjwc9 said:
Big Ben was very good in college. That is why he was taken with the 13th pick in the first round. He isn't some bum who just got lucky. The offense he played while in college was primarily a passing offense. I know all this doesn't mean he can to that in the NFL. But he probably deserves more credit than you suggest.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
As luck would have it, even if Bettis retires the Steelers will get a franchise back.

They have gotten the most out of the draft position than any other team in the past three years:

Ben Roethlisberger (who should have been taken higher)
Troy Palomalu (a speed demon and wild man at safety)
Heath Miller (a potentially dominating TE who just fell in their laps)

Watch they luck out and get Maroney or some other good back.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
Watch they luck out and get Maroney or some other good back.

either him or LenDale White, both the kind of backs they favor in that offense

bastids hehe

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Rothlisberger is a winner and a leader. He knows how to win and has taken charge as a leader both in the locker room and on the field. Granted, he is not a great passer and he will probably never become one. But he is a smart QB who makes great decisions and has the ability to escape the pocket and make plays when his teams need them. Without Rothlisberger, the Steelers probably wouldn't be in the playoffs. Rothlisberger has all the intangibles that QB's in this generation lack such as poise, and comfort reading defenses. He will never put up gaudy numbers like Eli will one day but he may win a lot more games than Eli.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2296615

Just after signing a lucrative contract extension in 2004, the reward for having led the Carolina Panthers to a Super Bowl XXXVIII berth, quarterback Jake Delhomme decided it was time to splurge on an expensive new ride.

So you're thinking, like, a sporty little two-seater with even quicker acceleration than wide receiver Steve Smith provides? Or maybe a big, gas-guzzling SUV to propel the Panthers' starting quarterback through the swampy Louisiana back roads he navigates in the offseason? Something sleek, sizzlin' or stupefying, right?

Well, think again.

“ The only [recognition] that matters to me is what I get from the guys in that [locker] room. A month or so ago, about the only people who believed we could be in this situation were those guys, and so that's what matters the most.”
—Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger

Delhomme's hot new set of wheels was a shiny, state-of-the-art Kubota tractor, one that would considerably reduce the workload on the Lafayette, La., horse farm in which he is a partner with his father and brother. In perpetrating his own manner of vehicular drama-cide -- Delhomme had intentionally kept close friends and teammates in suspense over what kind of extravagant buy he would make with his signing bonus -- the Panthers' star reinforced the notion he is more about practicality than pizzazz.

And that he couldn't care less about the glitz typically associated with the high-profile position he plays.

"He's just a country boy," Carolina right offensive tackle Jordan Gross said. "There's nothing glamorous about him. He's got a lot of [moxie], but not a lot of polish to him."

Which should make the down-home Delhomme, the winningest quarterback remaining among the starters for the final four teams that will vie this weekend for an invitation to Super Bowl XL, right at home. This is not, to be sure, a championship round that features a high Q rating when it comes to the QB position. Of the four quarterbacks remaining in the playoffs, just one, Ben Roethlisberger of Pittsburgh, is a former first-round choice.

That doesn't make the Super Bowl derby a horse race filled with also-rans, but it does demonstrate that a quarterback doesn't necessarily need to be glamorous to be good.

Indeed, the sport's reigning Super Bowl golden boy, Tom Brady of New England, finally proved last weekend that he is mortal after all. The two Manning brothers combined for just 18 points and one touchdown pass, were sacked an aggregate nine times, and failed to win a playoff contest between them. Carson Palmer exited the playoffs on a wounded knee. Among the other more celebrated quarterbacks in the league, Brett Favre led the NFL in interceptions, Daunte Culpepper and Donovan McNabb finished the year on injured reserve and Michael Vick concluded the season in regression.

Which leaves the conference championship games in the hands and on the right arms of four quarterbacks who all possess more game than name, a reality that isn't lost on any of them, but which seems to matter not at all.

Only two of the four quarterbacks still left in the playoffs, Delhomme and Seattle's Matt Hasselbeck, were selected for this year's Pro Bowl game. Jake Plummer of Denver, a second alternate, will make the trip to Hawaii only because Palmer and Drew Brees are recovering from surgeries. All of the final four quarterbacks, though, would certainly prefer slogging through the snowy streets of Detroit next month over plowing through the thick sand of Waikiki Beach.

The "Big R," as Roethlisberger referred to the gaudy ring that accompanies a Super Bowl championship, will always take precedence over an all-star game more about R&R.

"The only [recognition] that matters to me is what I get from the guys in that room," Roethlisberger said as he pointed toward the Pittsburgh locker room in the RCA Dome following the Steelers' upset win at Indianapolis. "A month or so ago, about the only people who believed we could be in this situation were those guys, and so that's what matters the most. We pulled together and we survived and we're still playing."

Perseverance, it seems, is a coveted trait common to the four quarterbacks still playing for the chance at a Super Bowl appearance.

"It's a league where you've got to earn your stripes," Hasselbeck said. "And the emphasis is on earn, believe me."

A former sixth-round draft pick, Hasselbeck served two seasons as Favre's caddy, and registered just 29 pass attempts in 1999 and 2000 before being traded to the Seahawks in 2001. Plummer was a second-round choice in 1997, but during six seasons with a mostly miserable Arizona Cardinals franchise, only once threw more touchdown passes than he did interceptions. Not until this season, when the Denver staff did a remarkable job of enhancing his game management skills, was Plummer able to finally dodge the stigma of being a quarterback who always seemed to make the killer turnover. Delhomme entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent, started only two games and threw just 86 passes in five seasons with the New Orleans Saints, and didn't become a starter until Carolina incumbent Rodney Peete bombed in the 2003 season opener.

Even Roethlisberger, who was the 11th player chosen overall in the 2004 draft, might not have become the starter as a rookie had the Steelers' Tommy Maddox not sustained an early-season elbow injury. So none of the four quarterbacks who still have a shot to hoist the shiny Vince Lombardi Trophy on the evening of Feb. 5 was born into the NFL with a silver spoon in his mouth.

And Delhomme, for one, figures that isn't all that bad.

All-time postseason passer rating
(min. 150 pass attempts)
QB Rating
Jake Delhomme 108.4
Bart Starr 104.8
Joe Montana 95.6
Ken Anderson 93.5
Kurt Warner 92.3
"I think when you have to work a little harder for anything, whether it's football or whatever, you appreciate it more," Delhomme said. "It's OK to get muddied up a little and to have to demonstrate some [grit]. There's nothing wrong with that. It just makes it all the more worthwhile when you reach your goal. I think any of the other [quarterbacks] still playing would agree with that."

It isn't so much that the final four quarterbacks are an unremarkable group. All of them have previous playoff experience and each has authored significant victories in the past. What might be most remarkable is that as a group, they comprise an unusual foursome. If some high-powered marketing official or television executive had the power to select who would still be playing, this would not have been the quartet vying for two Super Bowl berths.

The playoffs, though, are more about viability than visibility, and each of the four has helped to make his team a Super Bowl contender. Most fans can tell you how many times a particular franchise has won a championship, but not necessarily how many titles were claimed by individual quarterbacks.

Still, if the Panthers capture the first Super Bowl victory in franchise history, there is a good chance Delhomme will be the game's most valuable player. And that would mean, on the morning after Super Bowl XL, Delhomme, who has a sterling 5-1 record and a passer rating of 104.0 in postseason play, could leave Detroit tooling around in a shiny Cadillac and not a Kubota.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Rothlisberger is a winner and a leader. He knows how to win and has taken charge as a leader both in the locker room and on the field. Granted, he is not a great passer and he will probably never become one. But he is a smart QB who makes great decisions and has the ability to escape the pocket and make plays when his teams need them. Without Rothlisberger, the Steelers probably wouldn't be in the playoffs. Rothlisberger has all the intangibles that QB's in this generation lack such as poise, and comfort reading defenses. He will never put up gaudy numbers like Eli will one day but he may win a lot more games than Eli.

Exactly. He will become famous just because his team is winning, when it is the running game carrying him. IMO if Ben was put in Manning's shoes he would have been benched vs. the Panthers, he cannot put any touch on the ball unless he is scrambling.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
I sure hope the Panthers get smacked around this weekend.

This game would have been so much better as a Cowboys Vs. Commanders Game.

Two overrated teams battling to go to the SB. Terrible.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
Maybe.

When Ben has been forced to throw the ball a lot he does have some problems. This is not to say he is a bad QB but he is a young QB. The great running attack by the Steelers takes a lot of pressure off him and he can freeze LB and safeties with the play-action because of the running game. Pitt though gets in trouble when their running attack gets stopped. Also with the play of the steeler defense Pitt does not have to take a lot of chances on the offensive side of the ball because their D can hold down an opponent.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Big Ben is also leading today's poll in QB of choice on nfl.com

tyke1doe

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
either him or LenDale White, both the kind of backs they favor in that offense

bastids hehe

I don't think Lendale White will be available with the Steelers pick. But the way their luck has been running, you never know.