News: Bob Sturm's 2016 NFL draft profile series: Believe the hype -- DE Joey Bosa could be exactly what Co

texbumthelife

Reaction score
but is he worth the 4th pick when we already have a good rising DE in lawrence on the strong side?

I think this is a valid argument. I think the addition of Bosa allows Lawrence to not only rotate more (which is sorely needed) it also allows him to play on the other side some. From my perspective, I think that helps not only the team, but it helps Lawrence, Bosa and Gregory.

Wood

Reaction score
Watt is a physical freak who works harder than anyone else, but he had the exact same knocks as Bosa coming out--seriously nearly identical. His first step was actually considered a weakness before the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/j.j.-watt?id=2495488

Watt's greatest asset isn't even his strength, quickness or motor, his greatest asset is his hands. He sheds blocks better than anyone I have ever seen. He plays like he is coated in teflon. Bosa isn't as good as Watt is in that area, but it is also one of his strengths.

Even with Bosa trending down, I still think he is the right pick at 4 if he's there, if they don't address DE in free agency. Depending on what the team does in free agency, he could be a luxury pick, though.

I dont agree Tex. I was knee deep in draft Watt came out (even ran website for it). Watt had burst and much better first step than Bosa. Now nobody could project Watt would blow up at NFL level and especially being such turner-over-TD guy on defense. Bosa issue is his 1st step. It might be worst I have ever seen from projected top 5 DE. Bosa father was also drafted in 1st round (#16) by Miami and was out of football within 3 years. Let not ignore that fact.

MagicMan

Reaction score
Just not on the Bosa bandwagon. For some reason I get the feeling that in the Cowboys system, he would just be an undersized DE and would lose the aggressiveness he has being overwhelmed by pro tackles. I could be very wrong, but he may be better in some more aggressive defenses than the ones Marinelli puts together. Count me out on this one.

Rather go for one of the QBs who will likely be rated in the top 5 of the draft. And who cares if he sits out a year or two. We are in this position because we haven't bit the bullet and gone all in on one. I still also want a vet QB backing Romo.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I dont agree Tex. I was knee deep in draft Watt came out (even ran website for it). Watt had burst and much better first step than Bosa. Now nobody could project Watt would blow up at NFL level and especially being such turner-over-TD guy on defense. Bosa issue is his 1st step. It might be worst I have ever seen from projected top 5 DE. Bosa father was also drafted in 1st round (#16) by Miami and was out of football within 3 years. Let not ignore that fact.

You can disagree, that's fine. You would definitely be in the minority though. Watt's lack of quickness was generally the only real knock on the guy and why he was the third DE chosen. He also lacked a defined position in the NFL, just like Bosa.

Also, yes, we can ignore what his father did. It has no bearing on what he will do as a player. That's a straw man argument. It's ironic and questionable that you want to ignore/disagree with what guys who get paid to evaluate talent thought of Watt, but want to use what Bosa's father did, to devalue him.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
If I were trying to fix the Dallas pass rush, I would resign Hardy and draft Bosa.

A rotation of Gregory/Lawrence and Hardy/Bosa....would change things around.

Hardy is locker room poison. He's not coming back.

Wood

Reaction score
You can disagree, that's fine. You would definitely be in the minority though. Watt's lack of quickness was generally the only real knock on the guy and why he was the third DE chosen. He also lacked a defined position in the NFL, just like Bosa.

Also, yes, we can ignore what his father did. It has no bearing on what he will do as a player. That's a straw man argument. It's ironic and questionable that you want to ignore/disagree with what guys who get paid to evaluate talent thought of Watt, but want to use what Bosa's father did, to devalue him.

Here is video on Watt I ran on my youtube channel leading up that draft. I want you to focus at 0.16 mark. That's burst for big guy. You will never see that from Bosa. I will concede Bosa has freakish hand strength and would be fantastic against run support but at #4 you better have dynamic ability to get to QB.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Here is video on Watt I ran on my youtube channel leading up that draft. I want you to focus at 0.16 mark. That's burst for big guy. You will never see that from Bosa. I will concede Bosa has freakish hand strength and would be fantastic against run support but at #4 you better have dynamic ability to get to QB.

The very first play of this video... The burst Bosa shows after already coming out of his stance and then hesitating, is world class. He accelerates so quickly it looks like the video is on fast forward. Then watch 1:01, he's the first off the line, then shows his quickness by jumping inside. He does it again at 1:10--he shows a lightning quick first step, being the first off the line and then the quickness and agility to jump inside. The OT is on skates and he never even touches him.

At 1:43 he absolutely whips the tackle off the LOS and then uses his hands to blow right past him. For someone without a great first step, speed or explosion, he sure does spend a lot of time running right past guys (or not much depending on how you look at it;)). His short area explosion and quickness are untouchable. When you combine that with his length and strength, you have the unblockable machine that he was in college.

I think this season, he spent a little more time thinking about how he was going to engage tackles and it shows up in his first step sometimes. You can see him thinking about it instead of doing it. To me, that shows a player that is evolving and trying to get better in the face of constant double and even triple teams.

Run support my ***. He clearly shows the ability to get to the quarterback and get into the backfield. His film pops off the screen. His career sack total (26) and TFL (51), though they dipped this year, are ridiculous and show he can do it over a long period of time.

Last edited:

Solution

Reaction score
but is he worth the 4th pick when we already have a good rising DE in lawrence on the strong side?

Why not put Bosa on the weak side then? It's not like Hardy's 6 sacks over there can't be replaced by a guy like Bosa. I understand the conventional differences between a weak side and strong side 4-3 DE, but talent prevails over conformity I'd wager.