News: Bob Sturm's draft profile series: Why Oregon DE DeForest Buckner doesn't fit with Cowboys

CCBoy

Reaction score
Bob Sturm's draft profile series: Why Oregon DE DeForest Buckner doesn't fit with Cowboys

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...le-series-oregons-deforest-buckner-fit-dallas

...The questions are always going to be the following when ranking draft prospects this far up the board. Is he good or great at the NFL level and how does he fit in with the Dallas Cowboys approach to defense? Answer both of those questions properly, and then you will quickly have the answer about the potential selection at #4 overall.

I try to resolve those questions with my own method of video observation. I am often asked about how much to watch and I have arrived at 200 consecutive snaps. I don't want the video cherry-picked or sorted by great results (although I try to pick tough opponents). I just want to see the player as his team sees him, because frankly, any player this good will have an exciting youtube highlight film. But that is often 12 plays out of 800. We want the real picture of the player...

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Strum knows the cowboys scheme....Kiper/McShay and those types do not when they put together mock drafts. good write up by Bob.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Strum knows the cowboys scheme....Kiper/McShay and those types do not when they put together mock drafts. good write up by Bob.

You think Gil Brandt doesn't know the schemes Dallas uses?

More likely a difference of opinion regarding Buckner's ability. I like Bob's stuff but he's a bit out of his weight class if he's going to be taking Brandt on in a talent evaluation contest.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I agree with his assessment, lacks elite pass rush ability, lacks shed awareness, elite bend absent.

He really does not fit our defense.

lkelly

Reaction score
You think Gil Brandt doesn't know the schemes Dallas uses?

More likely a difference of opinion regarding Buckner's ability. I like Bob's stuff but he's a bit out of his weight class if he's going to be taking Brandt on in a talent evaluation contest.

Not really interested in the Sturm vs. Brandt battle, but is Gil really still a go to resource for current player evaluations? The guy last worked in the NFL before Aikman was drafted. Aikman has been a broadcaster longer than he was a player at this point. Gil was wrapping things up when the 46 was innovative and Landry and Ernie Stautner were calling plays on the sideline.

One could argue that David Bowie and Glenn Frey are still more in their prime than Gil. God Bless him for all the work he did as a Cowboys exec and his work with the Rams starting in 1955 (just after the first national color TV broadcast). When he left the business the NFL had 28 teams (2 in LA!) and Dallas finished a woeful 3-13! Oh wait, maybe not much has changed...

brandt.190.jpg

Wood

Reaction score

If you have followed Strum long enough you will know draft prospects is not his forte. He often gets it wrong. He should just stick to his post game commentary.

Wood

Reaction score
Not really interested in the Sturm vs. Brandt battle, but is Gil really still a go to resource for current player evaluations? The guy last worked in the NFL before Aikman was drafted. Aikman has been a broadcaster longer than he was a player at this point. Gil was wrapping things up when the 46 was innovative and Landry and Ernie Stautner were calling plays on the sideline.

One could argue that David Bowie and Glenn Frey are still more in their prime than Gil. God Bless him for all the work he did as a Cowboys exec and his work with the Rams starting in 1955 (just after the first national color TV broadcast). When he left the business the NFL had 28 teams (2 in LA!) and Dallas finished a woeful 3-13! Oh wait, maybe not much has changed...

brandt.190.jpg

Gil could forget more than Bob will ever know.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
I'm not shocked at Kiper's dumb mocks however Gil Brandt should know better SMH

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Buckner is probably the most gifted DL prospect in this class, you can literally line him up anywhere. Hasn't been a DE with his size, athleticism and pedigree since Mario Williams.

Randy Gregory will probably never be a guy you want playing other than passing downs, if Greg Hardy walks we have a massive need at DE. Buckner has a higher ceiling than Bosa and has the added ability to slide inside.

I'll take as many freaks in the trenches as I can get.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Buckner is probably the most gifted DL prospect in this class, you can literally line him up anywhere. Hasn't been a DE with his size, athleticism and pedigree since Mario Williams.

Randy Gregory will probably never be a guy you want playing other than passing downs, if Greg Hardy walks we have a massive need at DE. Buckner has a higher ceiling than Bosa and has the added ability to slide inside.

I'll take as many freaks in the trenches as I can get.

A lot of scouts seem to say that Noah Spence is probably the most talented EDGE guy in this class. Just can't draft him top ten because of his issues.

egn22

Reaction score
The measurables are insane. Can't wait to see what he does in the combine. I still really want is to trade back and get a DT like Billings or Robinson though