Twitter: Bob Sturm's top defensive Splash Plays from 2020

blueblood70

Reaction score
I know many are disappointed with DLaw sack numbers but as shown here, he still making plays in other ways

so Dlaw demise is overrated hes been in the op for most defensive analytics type plays just low in sacks but chase young had one more sack but hes rookie but being alluded as a unstoppable force future hOF..really one more sack on better DL? io guess being rookie gets him pass..not sure ..

fans equate contracts to production and get it all cloudy..

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
so Dlaw demise is overrated hes been in the op for most defensive analytics type plays just low in sacks but chase young had one more sack but hes rookie but being alluded as a unstoppable force future hOF..really one more sack on better DL? io guess being rookie gets him pass..not sure ..

Most fans are dumb too. A TFL is no less impactful than a sack. D-Law didn’t have success rushing the passer based on the sack metric, but because he’s a well rounded player he contributed other ways.

John813

Reaction score
Not going to lie, that's impressive.

May need to post how he calculates splash plays. I'll edit my post if I can find it first.

Screen-Shot-2018-03-14-at-9-45-09-AM.png

aikemirv

Reaction score

I could probably match his splash plays with the number of times he did not contain the edge and destroyed by misdirection!

HungryLion

Reaction score

meanwhile look at all the “off ball” LB’s listed here.

I was told repeatedly on this site that off ball LB’s don’t matter and aren’t worthy of a high pick because they don’t impact the game.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Most fans are dumb too. A TFL is no less impactful than a sack. D-Law didn’t have success rushing the passer based on the sack metric, but because he’s a well rounded player he contributed other ways.

Correct. People put so much focus on stopping the pass. Some forget that stopping the run helps a defense stop the pass.

it’s so much easier to defend the pass when you stuff runs and force the offense into 2nd and 3rd and long situations.

the numbers bear this out. 3rd down conversation rates plummet when an offense is in 3rd and long. And you do that by getting TFL’s or tackles for minimal to no gain on running plays.

If you stop a run play for zero gain. You basically just made the offense throw a down away.

helps win games big time.

blueblood70

Reaction score
meanwhile look at all the “off ball” LB’s listed here.

I was told repeatedly on this site that off ball LB’s don’t matter and aren’t worthy of a high pick because they don’t impact the game.
dont care what you hear or been told the scouts, coaches, and gms pick players because they can impact team..how that impact shows up depends on positions. Parsons not part of this somehow is being dragged into it is odd, off the ball on the ball who cares if he can effect the game , it was great pick..

all LBs are OFF the ball lmao they all tackle, cover, and rush the passer..their skillset and production will determine how much of each they do..

I mean the new nfl is less about big LBs who can hurt rbs and smash a statuesque qb,

qbs now are mostly very mobile with all the option plays RPOs and passes to faster Rbs out in the flats , the fast pass catching te, say you need an off the ball type athletic quick LB more then a big Mike but all 3 come into play but think Neal being converted SS to off the ball type LB..its the new NFL: throw out old narratives..some still hold true if the qb ior lb you have are old-school liek Mac jones or Big ben or LB is more suited to a 4-3 with big strong on the ball Lb that what you change your schemes too.

not too long ago coaches and scouts used to not consider the mobile, majority black qb an asset, tried to make them WRs , te or Rb and did not want to change the old style play calls calling for under center qbs and needed pockets passer to run their systems..

now its the new in thing if you get an opportunity at mobile qb who can pass a little you draft them and tailor the offense to them..

so things as life goes, change change with it or be left behind.. no one thing is set in stone work with what you got, thats it

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
12LBs, 5 DL, 2 safeties, and one CB (#20) on the list.

Top 5 are LBs. Not surprising. LBs have the most opportunity to make a ‘splash’ play. Blitzing, tackling, playing both run and pass, near the LOS where the action is, etc.

Surprising that Colts LB Leonard is not on the list.

Quinn/Falcons had 2 LBs make the list. That bodes well for the Cowboys this year.

I didn’t think Bears Smith and Cards Reddick were nothing but average from what I saw.

HungryLion

Reaction score
12LBs, 5 DL, 2 safeties, and one CB (#20) on the list.

Top 5 are LBs. Not surprising. LBs have the most opportunity to make a ‘splash’ play. Blitzing, tackling, playing both run and pass, near the LOS where the action is, etc.

Surprising that Colts LB Leonard is not on the list.

Quinn/Falcons had 2 LBs make the list. That bodes well for the Cowboys this year.

I didn’t think Bears Smith and Cards Reddick were nothing but average from what I saw.

Some of the LB’s are OLB in a 3-4. So that skews it a bit though. Guys that would be DL possibly if they played in a 4-3

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Some of the LB’s are OLB in a 3-4. So that skews it a bit though. Guys that would be DL possibly if they played in a 4-3

TJ Watt is better in a 3-4 than a 4-3, I think. The OLB in the 3-4 has always been making plays as long as I can remember.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I like Sturm’s “splash play” metric but would remove the following:

- Heavy QB Pressure; and
- Big Hit that Knocks the Ball Loose

I think these two stats are too subjective. Also, I’m not sure how he distinguishes a forced fumble from big hit that knocks the ball loose.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Lawrence is a legitimately good DE. Hopefully with better DT play, and Gregory drawing attention, those sack number will go up.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I like Sturm’s “splash play” metric but would remove the following:

- Heavy QB Pressure; and
- Big Hit that Knocks the Ball Loose

I think these two stats are too subjective. Also, I’m not sure how he distinguishes a forced fumble from big hit that knocks the ball loose.

I questioned the same thing. I am assuming the “big hit that knocks the ball loose” is for receivers trying to make a catch? But that could also fall under pass defended.