N’ail Diggs (OLB) 4 98 GB + 2000
Courtland bullard (OLB) 5 167 STL - 2002
Matt Wilhelm (ILB) 4 112 SD - 2003
Cie Grant (ILB) 3 86 NO - 2003
Robert Reynolds (ILB) 5 165 Ten - 2004
A.J. Hawk (ILB) 1 5 GB 2006
Bobby Carpenter (OLB) 1 18 Dal 2006
Anthony Schlegel (ILB) 3 76 NYJ 2006

I decided to go back to the 1995 draft and scan through every Linebacker drafted from then until now out of Ohio State. It was very interesting to me that this year Ohio State had 2 of the most capable and ready Linebackers in this draft in AJ Hawk who is rated to have the best chance of being a successful NFL player, overall. Secondly Bobby Carpenter who is right behind him as the most promising Linebacker of the draft. Both of them went in the first as A.J. Hawk went to Green Bay with the Number 5 Pick and Bobby Carpenter to Dallas with the Number 18 pick. These guys came in as freshman to make up 2/3 of the most rugged Line backing corpse in College Football. Now for the other 1/3 he didn’t join his boys AJ Hawk and Bobby Carpenter until his Junior Year after transferring to Ohio State from Air Force Academy, come draft day he wasn’t far behind either, just a few rounds away from the other two being taken on the first day by the NYJ in round 3 with the 76th pick, Anthony Schlegel a solid MLB who played in-between Bobby Carpenter and AJ Hawk for the final 2 years of his College Career. So now you have 2 guys who came into the Ohio State program together as freshman and one who joined them 2 years into the process. As freshman in the Ohio State program neither Hawk nor Carpenter became starters, while Schlegel racked up 6 starts and 10 games at Air Force Academy and recorded 48 tackles. AJ Hawk and Bobby Carpenter didn’t take the off-season lightly as AJ Hawk came around to starting his Sophomore year while Bobby Carpenter saw the field quite a bit . . .

SOPHOMORE YEAR:

AJ HAWK
Sophomore year A.J. Hawk was ready to step up and fill the shoes of Cie Grant at the WOLB position, not only did he do a fine job of replacing the 86th pick of the 2003 draft but he also lead the team with 106 solo tackles, almost twice the amount of the runner up (55). After recording a monstrous sophomore year AJ Hawk was recognized as the DPOY.

BOBBY CARPENTER
After a freshman year in which Bobby Carpenter played mainly special teams he still did not explode into the defense in his sophomore year like hawk did, instead he was learning from his peers and was given minimal playing time to record a total of 37 tackles. 6.5 stops behind the line, 4.5 sacks, a forced fumble and a set of pass deflections showed that he could do it all, which lead to him earning a starting spot on the 2004 roster.

Anthony Schlegel
Although he wasn’t on board with Carpenter and Hawk yet, he was doing his business somewhere else, after recording a solid freshman season with 6 starts and 48 total tackles Schlegel kept working hard hoping to start all 13 games in his following season. Not only in his sophomore year did Schlegel become a 13 game starter, he also became the captain of the squad (By vote of teammates). He recorded 116 tackles, 10 of them racked up –54 yards for other teams (tackles for loss), deflected 4 pases, and had 2 turnovers: 1 Interception and 1 forced fumble while still making plays on the opposing quarterbacks 3 times.
In the spring of 2003 he transferred and enrolled in the Ohio State program to be a part of the spring practice squad.

Junior YEAR (Duo becomes Trio, United at Last!)

AJ Hawk
In AJ Hawks’s junior year stats were not the only thing that stood out, but the fact that he was rated his teams Defensive MVP, voted to the All-American Team, and ended up finishing 2nd in total tackles after leading the big-10 all season with 11.8 stops per game. He was the 9th player in Ohio state history to record 20 tackles. On top of this he had 8 tackles for a loss, one sack, 5 deflected passes, two interceptions and 1 forced and recovered fumble. Like I said before, “not only do his stats stand out . . .” this guy was a terror, taking on OT and OG to get to the ball carrier, dropping into coverage on multiple occasions including once when he intercepted the ball when down 18-19 for his team to get sent on the game winning drive.

Bobby Carpenter
Finally, Carpenter’s dreams of being a full-time starter come true, coming into his junior year Carpenter is ready to start all 12 games of the season. Up to this point his statistics show that he isn’t much of a ball player, but this year recording a total of 93 tackles tops his measly 37 of his sophomore year by almost 3 times the amount. Not only did Carpenter amass an amazing 93 tackles (2nd on the team) but had 6.5 behind the line, 2 sacks, 3 interceptions (2nd on the team) and lead the team in tackles in four games. To this point he had 15 starts and 39 games under his belt, playing next to AJ Hawk for all three years and Schlegel for just his Junior and soon to be Senior year.

Anthony Schlegel
The last 1/3 has arrived this year, although he didn’t start every game Schlegel was involved in the first play 7 times and played a total of 12 games. He recorded fantastic numbers including 84 tackles. Playing next to Bobby Carpenter (93 tackles) and AJ Hawk (141 tackles) allowed him to break free quite a bit and record 10.5 tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks. The reason for him not starting the first 5 games at ILB was because he split time behind Mike D’andrea who went down after the 5th game against northwestern. He filled in nicely for D’andrea, putting up great numbers while playing through injury (partially torn MCL).

Senior Year:

AJ Hawk
After such a strong junior year it gave Hawk promise to come back and be 1 of 5 players in Ohio State history to record 400 or more tackles. This year AJ Hawk would be nominated for the Lombardi, Butkus and Bedanrik awards. Coming into his senior year Hawk lead the team in tackles and had a shot at being the first player since 1986 to do so for 3 years in a row. He was a strong leader through his words and his actions, and showed potential enough to become the 5th pick of the 2006 NFL Draft.

Bobby Carpenter
Bobby Carpenter once again started all 12 games of his senior year in order to prove to scouts that he was worthy of a first round pick. Not only did this guy produce at the LB position but he also wreaked havoc on the Special Teams unit laying down a few big hits and turnovers throughout his career. He came into the draft as the second most promising linebacker just behind AJ Hawk and ahead of Chad Greenway, Ernie Simms, Demeco Ryans, and Manny Lawson etc. this is what made him the 18th pick of the NFL draft to become an OLB in the 3-4 scheme.

Anthony Schlegel
Schlegel was not a 1st round pick like his companions, but he was off the boards the same day as them just two rounds later. The guy produced a solid senior year, which essentially sent him to the jets to be their ILB of the future.

1995-2005 Vs. 2006
1. From 1995-2005 all of the drafts combined produced 2 1st round linebackers, which are how many 1st round linebackers Ohio State presented to the NFL in 2006.
2. The only LB’s out of Ohio State that have produced a solid career from 1995-2005 so far are: N’ail Diggs and Mike Vrable as they have both contributed to their teams.
3. The last time Ohio State sent 3 prospects to the NFL was in 1995 and two of them were drafted in the 3rd round and 1 in the 1st while this year it was the opposite.
4. 1995-2006 included 4 drafts in which not a single OLB was drafted.

This years draft included 3 LB’s out of Ohio State, according to draft analysts AJ Hawk is the most promising player in the draft, Bobby Carpenter is the most promising LB behind AJ Hawk and Schlegel was a 2-3 round prospect who should have a solid career. So according to them this years draft should produce 3 LB’s out of Ohio St. that have better careers than every LB from drafted from 1995-2005 from Ohio State.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
For me the most pleasing thing is his special teams play...
Cowboys should have great special teams play this year and Jimmy always said Defense, Offense and special teams , you win 2 out of the 3 and you will the games..

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Carpenter sounds really solid....I cannot wait to see him play with Ware.

birminghambuckeyes

This post is a little misleading regarding Ohio State linebackers drafted over the past ten years. I have provided a note on each player to help clarify what happened to each player. I think the only players on this list that were thought by OSU fans (prior to the draft) to be capable of becoming good to great pros were Katzenmoyer (I always thought he was overrated), Diggs, Hawk and Carpenter.

Craig Powell (OLB) 1 30 Cle - 1995 (extremely fast [he ran sprints with Robert Smith in practice], was never much of a football player at OSU. Even OSU fans were surprised when he was drafted this high)
Preston Harrison (ILB) 3 98 S.D. - 1995 (he was drafted too high)
Lorenzo Styles (ILB) 3 77 ATL - 1995 (he started for a few years at OSU and should have done better in the NFL - he did not)
Matt Finkes (DE) 6 189 Car - 1997 (he was actually a defensive end with slow feet and it was no surprise that he did not make it in the NFL)
Mike Vrable (DE) 3 91 Pit + 1997 (he was also a defensive end, but had the ability to transition to the NFL)
Andy Katzenmoyer (ILB) 1 28 NE - 1999 (great freshman, good sophomore, average junior, mediocre pro whose career was cut short by an injury)
N’ail Diggs (OLB) 4 98 GB + 2000 (has had a good NFL career)
Courtland Bullard (OLB) 5 167 STL - 2002 (he was a 5th round pick)
Matt Wilhelm (ILB) 4 112 SD - 2003 (he is a promising player for SD)
Cie Grant (OLB) 3 86 NO - 2003 (good player, actually started at CB for one year. He hurt his knee and did not recover)
Robert Reynolds (OLB) 5 165 Ten - 2004 (good special team player)
A.J. Hawk (OLB) 1 5 GB 2006 (Should be a very good pro)
Bobby Carpenter (OLB) 1 18 Dal 2006 (should be a very good pro)
Anthony Schlegel (ILB) 3 76 NYJ 2006 (I was surprised he was drafted before round 5. I thought he was a little slow and did not go sideline to sideline)

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
Carpenter sounds really solid....I cannot wait to see him play with Ware.

yea his college days show that he can do it all, he was 2nd in every category behind only AJ hawk in tackles and i mean being 2nd in interceptions as a lb . . .

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SkinsandTerps said:
OSU is not know for LBs. As proven by this list.

Well when most around this area have called Ohio State....WRU, I guess you have a point.

However it has gravitated towards producing some good LBs.

Connection20

Reaction score
Alot of people try to call Ohio State CB U or WR U, I like to think of them as an NFL factory. They have players of all positions on all parts of the depth charts all over the league. I mean, the best deep snapper in the league is from Ohio State (Kevein Houser NO)