Boston Globe: Tougher rules won't soften Law's game

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Tougher rules won't soften Law's game
By Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff | August 15, 2004

FOXBOROUGH -- Looking at his ridiculously developed upper body, with huge biceps and hardly an ounce of fat, it's easy to see why Ty Law, arguably the best cornerback in football, chooses physical play over finesse. That's not to imply that he's lacking a finesse component, because he can shut down his side of the field much as Deion Sanders could, and Sanders was almost all finesse and no physical game.

Law knows what his strengths are and what his aggressive style of play entails. He knows he got the better of Marvin Harrison in last season's AFC Championship game because he intimidated him. And if he didn't do it alone, he had a little help from tag-team partner Rodney Harrison.

After the Patriots' legal mugging of Indianapolis and then Carolina in the Super Bowl, the league's competition committee -- led by Colts coach Tony Dungy, who was disturbed about what the Patriots got away with -- decided that after years of letting things go, the 5-yard chuck rule -- which prohibits defensive players from initiating contact with receivers more than 5 yards downfield -- would be more strictly enforced this season in an effort to open up the game and increase scoring.

The target of this emphasis was the Patriots. Specifically, Law.

This is no small issue. This could severely change the way the New England defensive backs play, if the officials -- who have warned every team -- enforce the rule consistently.

The new emphasis was apparent Friday night in the Patriots' 24-6 exhibition rout of the Philadelphia Eagles at Gillette Stadium, where Law, lined up mostly against Terrell Owens, took advantage of the 5 yards he has to manhandle one of the best receivers in the game.

"I did get a referee say to me, `OK, I've been watching you for eight years now, and we're calling it tight,' because they know it's a style that I play," said Law. "He just wanted to let me know they're going to be watching me. I'm not going to get caught up in it and start playing lackadaisical and not playing aggressive, because that's my style of football.

"If they're calling it tighter, I'll have to alter my game a little bit, but to say I'm going to change my approach to the way I play my game, I'm not going to do it."

Still, after years of doing it one way and not thinking twice about it, Law might have to start thinking on the field, especially if he gets called for penalties. Even the best players could get tripped up, thrown off their game by something like this.

That's what the Colts and others are hoping.

Law wasn't flagged Friday night, but he was out there for less than a half in what were not the most intense conditions. He can already tell that receivers such as Owens know they have an advantage now and are going to be griping about interference at 6 yards. Continued...

1 2 Next

Page 2 of 2 -- "It's going to be an adjustment for us, but you've just got to see what they're going to call," said Law. "We've been playing a certain way for so long, it's going to be one of those things. I just know early in the season, especially against the Colts [Sept. 9], that they're going to call everything. We're going to be aware of it, but we're not going to alter our game to where we can't go out there and play comfortably.

"We're an aggressive football team and we play within the rules. There are a lot of people who complain here and there, for what reason I don't know. I thought it was still football. We still have to abide by the rules and go out there and play hard-nosed football. Hopefully, they'll call a fair game, and it's up to the refs to do that.

"If we have to alter it, we'll do that."

The Patriots' staff, particularly defensive backs coach Eric Mangini, has worked with the corners to make certain they're in compliance. Mangini, in conjunction with defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel and head coach Bill Belichick, likely will implement new schemes so the receiver won't have too much freedom in pass routes.

The Patriots are "Schemes 'R Us." In a telling article by Peter King in Sports Illustrated, Belichick revealed how he borrowed a disguise scheme from LSU coach Nick Saban for the Super Bowl. It stands to reason that because of the thoroughness of this coaching staff, the Patriots are likely to be a step ahead of the officials.

"I think we'll do what we always do," offered Law. "Jam the receivers in the 5 yards. That part hasn't changed.

"We're going to see how tight they call it."

On Friday night, a veteran crew led by referee Johnny Grier, umpire Ed Coukart, and head linesman Jim Mello called 20 penalties (14 on the Eagles), but only two third-quarter defensive holding calls on Patriots Asante Samuel and Dan Klecko were remotely chuck-rule related. Both teams appeared to be very aware of the scrutiny under which they were playing.

The Patriots obviously covered well with their zones and man-to-mans, because the Eagles didn't score a touchdown.

"I think we're going to be here until 11 o'clock for a 1 o'clock game if they keep calling all those penalties, you know what I mean?" Law said with a laugh. "There were too many flags going on out there. Personally, I think you should just let us play. That's just my opinion."

Don't bet on that. Perhaps things will slide during the preseason, but when the cameras go on for the season opener against the Colts at Gillette, Harrison is going to be able to scream foul every time he heads downfield. Dungy will be screaming right behind him.

In that electric Thursday night setting, when the league can make its point before a massive audience, we'll get a good indication of just how strict the officials will be. And how much Law will have to alter his game.

© Copyright 2004 Globe Newspaper Company.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...8/15/tougher_rules_wont_soften_laws_game?pg=2

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Tougher rules won't soften Law's game
By Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff | August 15, 2004

FOXBOROUGH -- Looking at his ridiculously developed upper body, with huge biceps and hardly an ounce of fat, it's easy to see why Ty Law, arguably the best cornerback in football, chooses physical play over finesse. That's not to imply that he's lacking a finesse component, because he can shut down his side of the field much as Deion Sanders could, and Sanders was almost all finesse and no physical game.

Law knows what his strengths are and what his aggressive style of play entails. He knows he got the better of Marvin Harrison in last season's AFC Championship game because he intimidated him. And if he didn't do it alone, he had a little help from tag-team partner Rodney Harrison.

After the Patriots' legal mugging of Indianapolis and then Carolina in the Super Bowl, the league's competition committee -- led by Colts coach Tony Dungy, who was disturbed about what the Patriots got away with -- decided that after years of letting things go, the 5-yard chuck rule -- which prohibits defensive players from initiating contact with receivers more than 5 yards downfield -- would be more strictly enforced this season in an effort to open up the game and increase scoring.

The target of this emphasis was the Patriots. Specifically, Law.

This is no small issue. This could severely change the way the New England defensive backs play, if the officials -- who have warned every team -- enforce the rule consistently.

The new emphasis was apparent Friday night in the Patriots' 24-6 exhibition rout of the Philadelphia Eagles at Gillette Stadium, where Law, lined up mostly against Terrell Owens, took advantage of the 5 yards he has to manhandle one of the best receivers in the game.

"I did get a referee say to me, `OK, I've been watching you for eight years now, and we're calling it tight,' because they know it's a style that I play," said Law. "He just wanted to let me know they're going to be watching me. I'm not going to get caught up in it and start playing lackadaisical and not playing aggressive, because that's my style of football.

"If they're calling it tighter, I'll have to alter my game a little bit, but to say I'm going to change my approach to the way I play my game, I'm not going to do it."

Still, after years of doing it one way and not thinking twice about it, Law might have to start thinking on the field, especially if he gets called for penalties. Even the best players could get tripped up, thrown off their game by something like this.

That's what the Colts and others are hoping.

Law wasn't flagged Friday night, but he was out there for less than a half in what were not the most intense conditions. He can already tell that receivers such as Owens know they have an advantage now and are going to be griping about interference at 6 yards. Continued...

1 2 Next

Page 2 of 2 -- "It's going to be an adjustment for us, but you've just got to see what they're going to call," said Law. "We've been playing a certain way for so long, it's going to be one of those things. I just know early in the season, especially against the Colts [Sept. 9], that they're going to call everything. We're going to be aware of it, but we're not going to alter our game to where we can't go out there and play comfortably.

"We're an aggressive football team and we play within the rules. There are a lot of people who complain here and there, for what reason I don't know. I thought it was still football. We still have to abide by the rules and go out there and play hard-nosed football. Hopefully, they'll call a fair game, and it's up to the refs to do that.

"If we have to alter it, we'll do that."

The Patriots' staff, particularly defensive backs coach Eric Mangini, has worked with the corners to make certain they're in compliance. Mangini, in conjunction with defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel and head coach Bill Belichick, likely will implement new schemes so the receiver won't have too much freedom in pass routes.

The Patriots are "Schemes 'R Us." In a telling article by Peter King in Sports Illustrated, Belichick revealed how he borrowed a disguise scheme from LSU coach Nick Saban for the Super Bowl. It stands to reason that because of the thoroughness of this coaching staff, the Patriots are likely to be a step ahead of the officials.

"I think we'll do what we always do," offered Law. "Jam the receivers in the 5 yards. That part hasn't changed.

"We're going to see how tight they call it."

On Friday night, a veteran crew led by referee Johnny Grier, umpire Ed Coukart, and head linesman Jim Mello called 20 penalties (14 on the Eagles), but only two third-quarter defensive holding calls on Patriots Asante Samuel and Dan Klecko were remotely chuck-rule related. Both teams appeared to be very aware of the scrutiny under which they were playing.

The Patriots obviously covered well with their zones and man-to-mans, because the Eagles didn't score a touchdown.

"I think we're going to be here until 11 o'clock for a 1 o'clock game if they keep calling all those penalties, you know what I mean?" Law said with a laugh. "There were too many flags going on out there. Personally, I think you should just let us play. That's just my opinion."

Don't bet on that. Perhaps things will slide during the preseason, but when the cameras go on for the season opener against the Colts at Gillette, Harrison is going to be able to scream foul every time he heads downfield. Dungy will be screaming right behind him.

In that electric Thursday night setting, when the league can make its point before a massive audience, we'll get a good indication of just how strict the officials will be. And how much Law will have to alter his game.

© Copyright 2004 Globe Newspaper Company.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...8/15/tougher_rules_wont_soften_laws_game?pg=2

That are in trouble - its the below average corners who are in deep trouble.

Reaction score
It's not only below average corners who are going to be in trouble. Two guys who are going to be in trouble are Patrick Surtain and Sam Madison. Those guys grope jerseys and handle receivers like nobody else in the game.

Reaction score
OK, I've been watching you for eight years now, and we're calling it tight,' because they know it's a style that I play," said Law. "He just wanted to let me know they're going to be watching me.

Ty Law knows that the new "5-yard rule" will give an advatage to receivers that have been interefered with at the 6 yards and beyond point on the field

The new tightened up version of the 5-yard ruling will be an interesting perspective for everyone -- especially if the officials are cinsistent throughout the NFL/2004season.

But I'd like to see some "tightening" of ...

Face mask penalties (get rid of the 5 yard penalty; keep the 15 yarder)

Spearing (these infractions cause career-ending injuries)

Late hits (increase yardage for the penalty)

Un-necessary roughness (one-game suspension)

I'd also like to see some fan support separation during the games. In the heat of the game, a lot of tempers flare, testosterone levels increase and that spells trouble -- avoidable trouble. You can probably only initiate the separation in the low budget seating, but every precaution helps.