Bowles - Staying or Going?

Pabst

Reaction score
Quick question now that Phillips has been officially announced as the Head Coach of the Cowboys. Will Todd Bowles stay on the staff, or will he be let go by Phillips? It had been reported that Phillips had intended, should he get the Dallas job, to take San Diego Linebackers coach Greg Manusky to the Cowboys as his Defensive Coordinator. However, as we all know, Manusky took the same position with the 49ers earlier this week.

So, does Bowles stay? I know the players like him, and he is generally well thought-of in the organization, but will Phillips sign-on for him, when he had already had a replacement at DC in mind?

BlueStar22

Reaction score
He's under contract and may be hard pressed to find a gig this late in the game. This whole process was screwed once Dewayne took 16 days to decide he wasn't going to come back.

CalCBFan

Reaction score
Phillips struck me as the type of guy that is going to talk to the current staff and evaluate each one of them. i think if Bowles impresses him, he will keep him, just as BP kept Zimmer.

In the PC today somebody ask Wade how he was going to "use" Jason Garrett. Phillips replied that he was going to talk to jason first and discuss things w/ him and then they would make some kind of announcement. He actually sounded very in control of things and firm of hand and purpose; not wishy-washy at all...

sago1

Reaction score
Frankly I think both Phillips and Garrett has pretty mature guys who don't seem to have such a gigantic ego that they can't work together. I believe Phillips took this job cause at 59/60 it will probably be his last HC opportunity, because he thinks/believe we've got enough good players on both sides of the ball to be legit SB contenders but also he well aware there only a few years left for him to coach. If he succeeds like he hopes, Garrett wouldn't be a threat and besides Garrett (with Soparno's help) must show/develop enough to show he ready to make the jump to H/C and frankly I think that probably maybe 2 years down the road before he even a legit OC playcaller/offensive schemer.

JPM

Reaction score
BlueStar22;1368802 said:
He's under contract and may be hard pressed to find a gig this late in the game. This whole process was screwed once Dewayne took 16 days to decide he wasn't going to come back.

You can add the time it took Jerry top pick a coach as well.

cowboyed

Reaction score
JPM;1368962 said:
You can add the time it took Jerry top pick a coach as well.

Brought on by Parcells dragging things out to begin with and then quitting. If Jones would have not been diligent the fans and media would have been calling for his head for making a knee jerk decision on hiring a head coach.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Staying......if he wasn't returning he would have been let go after Parcells retired.

Cliff

Benched
Reaction score
Pabst;1368783 said:
Quick question now that Phillips has been officially announced as the Head Coach of the Cowboys. Will Todd Bowles stay on the staff, or will he be let go by Phillips? It had been reported that Phillips had intended, should he get the Dallas job, to take San Diego Linebackers coach Greg Manusky to the Cowboys as his Defensive Coordinator. However, as we all know, Manusky took the same position with the 49ers earlier this week.

So, does Bowles stay? I know the players like him, and he is generally well thought-of in the organization, but will Phillips sign-on for him, when he had already had a replacement at DC in mind?

What's TB done for the condition of our defensive backfield?.... The way I figure, the beers just fired their d-line coach - AFTER making the SB!.... TB should be sent packing....

newlander

Reaction score
I'm inclined to side with Cliff here. HOWEVER, I really believe our inability to pressure the QB led to the secondary's problems. That's where Phillip's expertise will come in. I don't care if you have Deion Sanders, Mike Haynes, Ronny Lott and Darren Woodson in their prime back there, if you don't get to the QB you are screwed in the secondary. Just my take: BTW, that would be a nice secondary in a dream league wouldn't it?!

JPM

Reaction score
cowboyed;1369007 said:
Brought on by Parcells dragging things out to begin with and then quitting. If Jones would have not been diligent the fans and media would have been calling for his head for making a knee jerk decision on hiring a head coach.

He was quitting most likey for the last time, never to coach again. I don't fault him for taking his time.

cowboyed

Reaction score
JPM;1369119 said:
He was quitting most likey for the last time, never to coach again. I don't fault him for taking his time.

I appreciate your point of view but Parcells postured similarily the year before and got an extension and raise out of it. My point is that Jones shouldn't be held accountable for taking the time he did to hire a head coach. He wouldn't have been in that position if Parcells had stayed.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
BlueStar22;1368802 said:

Yep. :bang2: :bang2: :bang2: :bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

Reaction score
Pabst;1368783 said:

I'm pretty sure Jerry Jones wants Bowles on the team.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Bowles and Sparano both have been held in high regard by Jones/Parcells and even around nfl circles. Parcells thinks both will be future HCs. They are both staying. Bowles will either get the DC job and learn under Wade or he will stay as the DB coach.

JPM

Reaction score
cowboyed;1371351 said:
I appreciate your point of view but Parcells postured similarily the year before and got an extension and raise out of it. My point is that Jones shouldn't be held accountable for taking the time he did to hire a head coach. He wouldn't have been in that position if Parcells had stayed.

And Jerry offered him another raise to stay.

cowboyed

Reaction score
For real JPM. I did not know that Jones offered Bill another raise. Bill had enough then or ran out of gas. I think the players saw through him before the fans ever could. Perhaps that is why they lost their gumption save the final statement game against the Seahawks.