News: Brandin Cooks’ impact was evident in the Cowboys’ win over the LA Chargers

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Through the first five weeks, the archer was rarely utilized – his bow hardly used. Coincidentally, the Cowboys offense lacked a killer instinct, especially around near the goal line.

Cooks, however, didn’t worry about the offense nor his lack of production.

“I’m definitely trusting the process,” said Cooks, who had nine receptions for 73 yards and no touchdowns through the first five games of the season. “What I do every single day, regardless of good or bad, I’m coming in here to work … that’s what I think to myself: come in, work harder, be better, so when those opportunities do come, be ready.

“We hit adversity now, but it’s a long season, and we’re going to hit our stride.”

It makes sense, then, that the offense might’ve found its stride on a night where Cooks took advantage of his opportunities.

More: https://www.lonestarlive.com/cowboy...-in-the-cowboys-win-over-the-la-chargers.html

FaSho

Reaction score
I wish he would get Gallup's targets lol

Gallup isn't bad or anything, but for some reason he and Dak just don't mesh

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It took a while but they finally got him involved. I hope that's a sign of things to come and not just a product of the Chargers 32nd ranked pass defense.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He and Dak have actually had great chemistry. It's just not working right now.

That said, Gallup should never have 10 targets...

Reaction score

If they would just run the plays as designed, ie make the correct quick read and throw the ball, everything wouldn't devolve into a scramble drill where the QB and receivers have to improvise and read eachother's minds.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Indeed, I look forward to seeing more. He's what this offense needed. They just need to be more creative utilizing his skillset.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
He and Dak have actually had great chemistry. It's just not working right now.

That said, Gallup should never have 10 targets...
I think part of the reason the rest of the team had success was because they were making it a point to get Gallup involved. Our offense is a lot more complicated to deal with when you have to account for Gallup. Even if they weren't all completions, once they began consistantly targeting him, the Chargers had to respond, which opened up the field for Lamb, Cooks, Pollard.

I believe Dak and Gallup have chemistry just as good. I just think the gameplan was to force Gallup into the game to make them account.
I think Gallup should have 7-9 targets a game. And at least 3 in the first quarter. Otherwise, you're too predictable.

Tolbert could play a similar role. But they need to get whoever that 2nd/3rdish guy is the ball, imo.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Take the bubble wrap off and burn it. He has to be a key component in this offense going forward.
Right. He's what everyone has imagined Turpin should be. But a proven commodity.

It all starts with McCarthy has to trust Dak, and not be so risk averse. And Dak has to trust Cooks, and then Cooks has to trust Dak, which I think he does. But most importantly, McCarhty has to scheme around Cooks abilities.