Broaddus Breakdown: Inside linebackers

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Broaddus Breakdown: Inside linebackers
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys
June, 29, 2010 Jun 2911:30PM CTEmail Print Comments By Bryan BroaddusEighth in a series breaking down the Cowboys by position (previous entries):

Roster locks: Bradie James, Keith Brooking, Sean Lee

Good bet: Jason Williams

On the bubble: Stephen Hodge

Long shots: Leon Williams, Donovan Woods

[+] EnlargeLarry French/Getty Images
Keith Brooking should be a good role model for rookie Sean Lee, and he proved last year he still can make plays.This is a solid group with a nice mix of established veterans and promising young players.

I’m not surprised by the type of year Keith Brooking had. He’s always been a guy who has been well prepared and kept himself in good physical condition. He’s a pro’s pro. He’s a relentless player with great effort, intensity, intelligence and leadership ability. I think he helped Bradie James more than Zach Thomas did. Brooking didn’t wear down, like Thomas did the previous season. This guy still has more than enough left in the tank.

James is very good as a run-at guy. He’s a physical, point-of-attack player who is adequate sideline to sideline. He has his shaky moments in coverage, though, which is why he’s on the field less often in passing situations. You can’t jump up and down about him, but you have to admire how steady he’s been.

Sean Lee is instinctive, active and smart. He’s got an understanding of where to fit, and I like what he brings as a nickel linebacker. He should be an immediate upgrade over Bobby Carpenter. He moves well in coverage and does an excellent job making breaks on the ball. He’s also big and physical enough to be a factor in the running game. He’s got the perfect guy to learn from in Brooking and looks like a guy who has a bright future as an NFL starter.

Every time I see Jason Williams, he’s getting yelled at by somebody. But he’s a guy who was hand-picked by Wade Phillips, so he’ll have an opportunity to play. This training camp will be huge for him. He can handle the physical load, but is the mental load going to bring him down? He has to translate his athletic ability into production on the football field.

Hodge played at TCU while I was on the staff there, and I had really high hopes for him. But the knee injury has potentially robbed him of this opportunity. If healthy, he could be a dynamic special teams player. He’s crazy, he’s always around the football, and he’s physical. He’s really not a very fluid moving guy. He’s more of a stand-in-there-and-be-physical type of player. He’s a tough son of a gun.Share Retweet 4

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I fear Williams will see about as much action this year as last.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
AbeBeta;3447264 said:
I fear Williams will see about as much action this year as last.

Same here.

And is Wade really such a big fan of his? This has been repeated several times, so maybe so. But I don't remember him ever talking up JW like he has Lee or Brandon Williams or Spencer back before he was playing a lot.

Plus, he doesn't fit the profile of guys like those who aren't necessarily that gifted physically, but are tough and productive.

Not saying it isn't true, but I wonder if it's one of those things that gets started and then takes on a life of its own.

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
I'm suprised by no mention of Leon Williams.

I thought I read a pretty promising write up of him recently based on his off season work this year.

CCBoy

Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;3447310 said:

I thought I read a pretty promising write up of him recently based on his off season work this year.

I haven't heard a mention of Leon Williams either...but that probably is logical since the attention and focus underneath the starters is for the immediate fill for Carpenter. Here, I really like what is being said about Lee. I don't think that Jason is on the provebial hot plate. His pride might be, but he will prove out strongly over time. He has too many tools that can be applied. Once the professional side settles in with him, he'll be fine.

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3447272 said:
Same here.

And is Wade really such a big fan of his? This has been repeated several times, so maybe so. But I don't remember him ever talking up JW like he has Lee or Brandon Williams or Spencer back before he was playing a lot.

Plus, he doesn't fit the profile of guys like those who aren't necessarily that gifted physically, but are tough and productive.

Not saying it isn't true, but I wonder if it's one of those things that gets started and then takes on a life of its own.

There was a Wade quote about J.Will this offseason, you should look for it (I'm at work:)). But it was similar to him talking about Mike Jenkins as a player he was itching to get to work with last offseason after what a lot of people thought was a bad year for the kid.

Also, after the first week of OTAs when Watkins was trying to stir up stuff, Wade was adamant in saying that Williams was starting ahead of Sean Lee and that the reporters didn't know what they were seeing.

Plankton

Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;3447310 said:

Leon Williams is a Ferrari without a compass. Great physical specimen, no instincts at all.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Bradie James average ability and average play has been PENCILED in far too long. I respect his effort and what he has meant to this team...but he is a much better fit for a Parcells type defense. I want some of these younger LBers to have chance to get some of the playing time he has seemingly been annointed.