Brown's Projections

bpfred

Reaction score
Cleveland.com has an article about the Browns, and more importantly a link to a 72 minute interview with Phil Savage and Bill Rees (Browns director of player personnel). These are the last public comments they are supposed to make prior to the draft.

http://www.cleveland.com/weblogs/pdsports/

If you listen to the link you will hear some of the following:

They project Hawk and Carpenter at inside LB.

They project the following as OLB: Hali, Tapp, Haralson, Lawson, Wimbley, Ninkovich (Purdue), and Kudla. They say they have probably spent more time on those seven players than any other names in the draft.

Rees lists the top nose tackles as Ngata, Oshinowo, and Watson.

They project Bunkley as a DE. Other DE are McCargo (NC St), Cofield (Northwestern), and Rodrique Wright.

They have brought in Vince Young in an attempt to gauge his trade value in the event he drops to them.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
Great posting thanks.

I had then taking Lawson or Wimbley.....I think I'm right unless Ngata is there, which we won't be.

ddh33

Reaction score
I would like to know how they felt about some of those lesser OLB prospects. How good can those kids be?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
bpfred said:
They project Hawk and Carpenter at inside LB.
When I tried to project Carpenter as an ILB, the entire board nearly tore my post apart. But now that the pros are saying it, I feel better.

My point of that argument, was that Carpenter will be lining up all over the field, including DE sometimes. Guys like this, you have to move them around, as Ohio State did.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
When I tried to project Carpenter as an ILB, the entire board nearly tore my post apart. But now that the pros are saying it, I feel better.

My point of that argument, was that Carpenter will be lining up all over the field, including DE sometimes. Guys like this, you have to move them around, as Ohio State did.

People didn't tear you up for thinking Carpenter can play ILB. I think he can too. People tore you up (if I remember correctly) cuz you didn't think he could play outside.

I think he could do both.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Rack said:
People didn't tear you up for thinking Carpenter can play ILB. I think he can too. People tore you up (if I remember correctly) cuz you didn't think he could play outside.

I think he could do both.
I know he can play outside, I just wanted to draft Him and Tapp at the time, and move Carpenter inside, and let Tapp play outside, but after the combine, I changed my mind a little on Tapp.

And especially after we moved Ayodele, then I wanted Carpenter back outside. I told the board that Carpenter was versatile enough to play anywhere as a 3-4 linebacker, and how awesome it would be to see him inside and someone like Wimbley or Lawson outside... That would be a dream that will never come true.