BS: TO singlehandedly ruined the eagles

Hiero

Reaction score
Forgive me for thinking this is total BS. if i remember right, mcnabb was hurt most of the year. their D was much weaker than previous years. westbrook had some injury issues. so was TO the one who hurt mcnabb and westbrook and made the defense weaker? somehow I fail to see how that one guy was the one who ruined their season when theres so much else going on that is substantial.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Hiero said:
Forgive me for thinking this is total BS. if i remember right, mcnabb was hurt most of the year. their D was much weaker than previous years. westbrook had some injury issues. so was TO the one who hurt mcnabb and westbrook and made the defense weaker? somehow I fail to see how that one guy was the one who ruined their season when theres so much else going on that is substantial.

Yep. They had injuries along their defensive line as well as trading Cory Simon away to Indy. It is a myth that T.O. ruined the Eagles last season just like it is a myth that T.O. was the reason they made it to the Superbowl the year before. He is a dynamic player and a royal pain in the bum, but he is given too much credit, whether positive or negative. Same can be said about his time in San Fran. That was a franchise in decline.

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
he didn't help, but there were plenty of other reasons, as you mention.

it's wrong to say he did it all by himself.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Yep. They had injuries along their defensive line as well as trading Cory Simon away to Indy. It is a myth that T.O. ruined the Eagles last season just like it is a myth that T.O. was the reason they made it to the Superbowl the year before. He is a dynamic player and a royal pain in the bum, but he is given too much credit, whether positive or negative. Same can be said about his time in San Fran. That was a franchise in decline.

I agree. I will say the distraction did not help matters and was like pouring gasoline on a fire. However I do think injuries to their defense and QB had the biggest impact on their season.

sago1

Reaction score
Eagles prefer to attribute the whole mess to TO to justify their poor play last year. They now hype how well they've drafted and signed FAs as reason they will be back on top, and to cite McNabb, will go at least 13-3 (or even 14-2?).

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
One of the greatest scapegoats of all time. Also one of the reasons I liked TO coming here...if we suck, we can just blame it on Jerruh and TO.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
They can't have it both ways. They like to say they were just fine before he got there, going to 4 straight NFC Championships, but then suddenly it's all his fault when they have a losing season.

kartr

Reaction score
joseephuss said:

Well said. All the anti TO talk is just negative hype. No one player has the power to ruin a team by himself. How did Mariuchi in Detroit when he didn't have Owens? How did Garcia do in Cleveland and Detroit without Owens. In my view, the Eagles' management is more to blame than any one player.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
T.O. in Dallas will be a "watch and learn" opportunity for the Eagles.

Parcells will manage the situation effectively. He'll make it work. Or cut his losses. Either way, Parcells will insure that his team won't be ruined.

juck

Reaction score
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Hiero said:

ghst187

Reaction score
sago1 said:
Eagles prefer to attribute the whole mess to TO to justify their poor play last year. They now hype how well they've drafted and signed FAs as reason they will be back on top, and to cite McNabb, will go at least 13-3 (or even 14-2?).

Its true, and what's better is they still think that last year's 0-for 6 in the division and 6-10 was an anomaly rather than an indicator. They shrug it off like it was all the fault of TO, with a little of Westbrook and Mcscab being hurt. They think that it will all be better this year and they'll be back on top of the division just like they used to be back when the Skin, Boys, and Giants only had about 4 actual NFL players per roster.
They are still in denial.
Funny how arrogant a team can become after winning....well nothing....ever.

Hiero

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
Its true, and what's better is they still think that last year's 0-for 6 in the division and 6-10 was an anomaly rather than an indicator. They shrug it off like it was all the fault of TO, with a little of Westbrook and Mcscab being hurt. They think that it will all be better this year and they'll be back on top of the division just like they used to be back when the Skin, Boys, and Giants only had about 4 actual NFL players per roster.
They are still in denial.
Funny how arrogant a team can become after winning....well nothing....ever.
yep TO was the reason that the NFC as a whole got better, and the reason why the Cowboys Commanders and Giants were substantially better.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Hiero said:
It was all TO's fault right up until the moment he signed with Dallas, then it became total BS.

dogberry

Reaction score
TO should be able to ruin the eagle's seasion again this year!

ravidubey

Reaction score
Hiero said:

We concluded on this site months ago that while Owens may have been a pain in the arse, he was used as a scapegoat by the Eagles organization for their own failures. The media around Philly, desperately hoping to keep their local team relevant and in the news helped propogated that spin to the national media.

- There's only room for 1-2 big, long term salaries in the Eagle pay structure. That's McNabb and Kearse. It's why they signed Owens for just two years max, let Corey Simon go, and failed to re-sign Brian Westbrook until Owens was suspended.

- Andy Reid was unable to change his offense from a 70%/30% throw/run scheme to anything that made sense. He had an obviously injured QB, and still refused to call running plays. Blame TO for that, but if it's true that Owens caused Reid to come up with that gameplan and Reid was unable to adjust once he suspended Owens, then you'd have to say Reid is incompetant.

- The Eagles' draft sucked big time last year. Out of thirteen picks to start with, only their 1st and 2nd rounder seriously contributed to their season. Think about that. Ryan Moats, their big "steal" was a little non-factor. Compare with Marion Barber whom we drafted a round later.

- They let Simon go as mentioned. Not uncoincidentally you saw Indianapolis' run defense and overall defense make a major leap forward last year while Philly's own run defense struggled as Jeremiah Trotter began to show his age.

- McNabb was injured game 1. An abdominal tear that made his mobile, big-armed game very painful to run. Accuracy wasn't his game to begin with, and that injury made things much, much worse. Owens called him out by comparing him to a healthy Bret Favre, but is McNabb's psyche so fragile that he couldn't play anymore because of that comment?

- Half the secondary was hurt, Westbrook went down, and McNabb opted for surgery after throwing any chance for the playoffs away against Dallas. Owens was not responsible for that, and anyone who tries to spin that tale is high and stupid.

dwmyers

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
- They let Simon go as mentioned. Not uncoincidentally you saw Indianapolis' run defense and overall defense make a major leap forward last year while Philly's own run defense struggled as Jeremiah Trotter began to show his age.

Just my 0.02, but Corey Simon's 25 tackles and NO SACKS didn't contribute much to Indy.

Did you see what a fat tub of lard he was in 2005? Corey Simon ATE himself out of relevance last year.

When he was in shape, he could be a force. He wasn't in shape and Philly probably did the smart thing, letting him go. It's just there aren't many ready replacements for an in-shape Simon.

David.

TobiasEagle77

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
- The Eagles' draft sucked big time last year. Out of thirteen picks to start with, only their 1st and 2nd rounder seriously contributed to their season. Think about that. Ryan Moats, their big "steal" was a little non-factor. Compare with Marion Barber whom we drafted a round later.
The Eagles had alot more rookie contributors than you mention