News: BTB: Cowboys News: Should Cowboys trade up to fix the passing game?

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa_today_10513061.0.jpg

Latest Cowboys headlines: Is trading up for WR Calvin Ridley would be worth it? Search for O-line coach continues; more.

Will Cowboys be part of playoff fun next year? Not without these four things happening - Kate Hairopoulos, SportsDay
Hairopoulos argues that Tyron Smith's continued health, a further improved defense, Ezekiel Elliott staying out of trouble, and an improved passing game are what's going to carry the Cowboys to the playoffs next year.

The Cowboys have to look at both Prescott and the receivers for improvement. Among Prescott’s problems - accuracy issues, not seeing the open players, a spike in turnovers and trouble delivering the ball where receivers can keep moving downfield. For the receivers - not winning routes or stretching the field and too many drops.

Whether No. 1 receiver Dez Bryant is back for his ninth season in Dallas or it’s deemed his production no longer equals his paycheck, the passing game needs healing. It is best when the Cowboys spread the ball around.

Why trading up to draft WR Calvin Ridley would be worth it for the Cowboys - Dane Brugler, SportsDay
Brugler took some reader questions recently, including tis n on Ridley.

Question: If Calvin Ridley won't be there for the Cowboys at No. 19, is he worth trading up for?

Brugler: In my opinion, yes. I love the depth of this year's WR group. The second round will be loaded with options. However, Ridley is NFL-ready and will help the Dallas offense from Day 1. He would be an upgrade at the Z receiver. What makes Ridley so impressive is his ability to create separation with his play speed and route-running, finding space and showing the QB his numbers. Dak would greatly benefit from a target like that and so would Dez, drawing the attention of the defense to the other side of the field.

Search for O-line coach continues - Todd Archer, ESPN
Archer with an update on who the Cowboys have been talking to for the vacant O-line position.

The Cowboys will meet with New York Giants line coach Mike Solari, according to sources. While there was some interest in Tom Cable, it never got to a point where interview was set up before he joined Oakland's staff. Former Cincinnati line coach Paul Alexander met with the Cowboys in the middle of the week.

News that Mike Solari will interview with Cowboys most intriguing blurb this offseason, for several reasons - Rafael Vela via Twitter
In a series of three tweets (one, two, three), Vela explains why Solari could be an interesting choice for the Cowboys.

First, he has ties to Tom Landry, serving as an assistant to Tom’s last OL coach Jim Erkenbeck in ‘87 and ‘88.

Next, he’s coached some of the best OLs of the last 15 years. He helmed those killer Chiefs lines of the mid aughts (Will Shields, Brian Waters & Willie Roaf) that made Priest Holmes looks so good. He was also Jim Harbaugh’s OL coach in San Fran when his Staley-Iuptati-Davis led lines blew up holes for Frank Gore.

The skeptics point to the dismal Giants lines he coached recently, but where is the blue chip OL talent there? When he’s had the horses, he’s produced. He would have the horses in Dallas.

How can Kellen Moore help Dak develop as a QB? - Jon Machota, SportsDay
Machota answered reader questions in a recent chat, here's his take on what Moore could bring to the coaching table.

Q: What does Kellen Moore bring to the QB coaching position. I mean, he's quite young. What can he possibly teach Dak?

Jon Machota: The reason Kellen Moore wasn't a successful NFL quarterback was because he has limited arm strength and size. That doesn't mean he can't be a good coach and help Dak with mechanics, reading defenses, preparing for opponents, etc. Most great coaches didn't have much success, if any, at the highest level. From everyone I've talked to, Moore is a brilliant offensive mind. Most thought he'd get into coaching when his playing days were over.

David Lee remains a candidate for the QB coach position for some Cowboys fans.

If the Cowboys would like to hire a QBs coach who had a huge impact on @tonyromo and also was touting @dak heavily before he was drafted, David Lee just became available. Lee, an ex-Cowboys QBs coach, also helped Tyrod Taylor make a Pro Bowl with the Bills.

— Matt Mosley (@mattmosley) January 13, 2018

But a Mosley endorsement, just like his previous one for Tony Sparano, seems like a kiss of death for a candidate.

And there is the Mosley endorsement we've been waiting for. And it won't happen, FWIW https://t.co/TDIucwENIj

— Todd Archer (@toddarcher) January 13, 2018

Michael Irvin's response to 'hog wash' from Brice Butler: 'What the hell have you ever done?' - SportsDay Staff
Irvin talked to the guys at 105.3 The Fan about Butler's comments from earlier in the week, and wonders who's giving Butler advice right now.

Thoughts on Brice Butler's opinions on the Cowboys' offense not allowing receivers to flourish?

Irvin: How can we say that? We just watched them go 13-3. I get amazed when things didn't go right, and all that went on with this season, and all that went on with [Ezekiel Elliott]. I'd rather those guys be talking now about what happened with Zeke and all of that. Now, I do get concerned from this standpoint: If Brice Butler's saying that, where's he getting it from? Brice Butler ain't man enough to get out there talking like that. He ain't being smart enough right now. Why should I offer you a whole bunch of money to come to my team when you're damning the team you just left? Who's giving him this advice? I hear a lot of that, and I think it's just frustration coming out, and he's probably perpetuating others' frustration because he's never been on that stage anyway. Why was he frustrated? You were frustrated too? What the hell have you ever done that we're supposed to throw you the ball every snap right now? I call all of that hog wash.

Continue reading...

reddyuta

Reaction score
a big yes from me,Ridley is a true no 1 who can play anywhere and he is so quick.