News: BTB: Dallas Cowboys Mock Draft 8.0: Eight Is Great, How About Another Trade?

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa_today_9804664.0.jpg

Mockery VIII offers up another trade down which is looking more and more like the best option.

For our Mockery VIII, we decided to try our hands at a trade down. Keep in mind, that Jerry Jones has been pretty candid about the possibilities of a trade. For the record, I tend to think trades may be hard to come by in this draft because a lot of teams are going to want more value in the middle rounds. That would suggest a lot of trade downs but then again the values could be altered by an oversaturated trade-down market.

That’s precisely why we’ve stayed put for the most part in the majority of these mocks. Today, for fun, we’ll explore a trade down for the Dallas Cowboys.

The Cowboys trade pick 28 (660 points) to the New Orleans Saints for Picks 32+103 (678 points). The 103rd pick is technically another third-round pick but it is a compensatory pick which is legal trading tender as of this season.

Pick 32: Cowboys select T.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin (CBS: 41st, DraftTek: 44th)

Though some may be concerned with his ability to play 4-3 defensive end, consider the Cowboys not one of those teams. Watt is on the official 30 visits lists and has been very vocal about his ability to do whatever is needed from him. He tested well both at the Combine and with SPARQ. He’s an incredible athlete with all the intangibles to become an elite player at the NFL level.

He’s got bend, agility, power, and speed. He wasn’t asked to do much rushing off the edge as he played in a 3-4 scheme and was asked to react. In Dallas, he’ll just be asked to hunt the quarterback and Watt will excel at that. He’s a high-motor, driven, and intelligent player who will be the right kind of edge presence for this team.

Pick 60: Cowboys select Teez Tabor, CB, Florida (CBS: 56th, DraftTek: 93rd)

If there is going to be a risky pick for the Cowboys, here it is. Tabor tested very poorly at the Combine and seemingly did worse at his Pro Day. However, to quote an old cliché, trust the tape. Dane Brugler and Bryan Broaddus both believe that his tape shows a very talented cornerback with the skill set to cover all types of receivers. His testing showed a guy who looked slow but his tape shows a guy who relies on his instincts to cover and make plays on the ball.

He’s a player that is going to need some tough love and coaching. He’s got the skills to become a great NFL player but he needs the right fit. His size and acceleration are there where his long speed may not be. Tabor’s ability to read quarterbacks and diagnose plays is second to none and boy is this guy an aggressive player. Tabor is going to be one of the more interesting cases in this draft, it takes a GM with job security to make this pick.

Pick 92: Cowboys select Justin Evans, SS, Texas A&M (CBS: 103rd, DraftTek: 117th)

Here’s a player that the Cowboys hoped J.J. Wilcox could have been. He’s a former receiver turned safety that has a tremendous passion for the game. He carries the measuring stick as a hitter for quarterbacks who throw his way. Evans’ closing speed and aggressive nature when tackling set him apart from some of the other prospects in this draft.

The Cowboys like their safeties to have range and athleticism. Evans being paired with someone like Byron Jones could really give the Cowboys some power in the secondary. Evans will be played near the line of scrimmage but he can do much more if needed to.

Pick 103(From NO): Cowboys select Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M (CBS: 121st, DraftTek: 116th)

Another Aggie for the Cowboys but you won’t hear me rooting for those farmers in College Station. All joking aside, the Aggies have been a solid school at bringing in good defensive players in the past few years. Hall isn’t the highly-touted edge rusher that his counterpart Myles Garrett is but Hall is certainly worth a third-round selection.

He’s another SPARQ standout who tested very well and showed his athleticism to take it to the pros and be a solid contributor. Rod Marinelli is going to fall in love with the violence from this player and his excellent pursuit. He’s one of the Cowboys’ visitors and there is little doubt that he’s got potential.

Pick 133: Cowboys select Howard Wilson, CB, Houston (CBS: 138th, DraftTek: 138th)

Wilson has length and speed to cover several types of receivers. He uses his body well and remains balanced and light in his backpedal. Simply put, Wilson was quite the ball hawk for only one year as a starting cornerback for the Cougars. He had nine interceptions which averaged out to one pick per 15 balls thrown his way. Wilson plays with outstanding technique and awareness. For what he lacks in bulk and experience, he makes up for with intelligence, patience, and no fear whatsoever. He’ll be a quality insurance pick for Tabor and could even beat a cornerback already on the roster.

Pick 211: Cowboys select Michael Roberts, TE, Toledo (CBS: 211th, DraftTek: 192nd)

Roberts is built very well having maxed out his frame. He’s very thick but very agile, and strong at the point of attack. He’s a solid route runner and very good blocker when asked to be. He’s lacking burst and his speed is questionable. His modus operandi is to just get open and he’s a very solid red zone contributor with 10 targets and 10 touchdowns. He had a record-breaking senior campaign with 16 touchdown catches.

Pick 228: Cowboys select Michael Rector, WR, Stanford (CBS:285th, DraftTek: 367th)

Rector is a late gem to keep an eye out for as he has top-end speed that is needed on 32 rosters. His SPARQ numbers are outstanding for a guy who could go undrafted, his score is 126.7 and NFL% is 83.2. He’s a repeat for three weeks now and becoming a real pet cat of sorts. He needs some work at becoming more elusive but that speed, whoosh!

Pick 246: Cowboys select Tedric Thompson, SS, Colorado (CBS: 245th, DraftTek: 316th)

The Cowboys are filling out roster spots and Thompson will be one of the 30 visits. He can play up close to the line or back in coverage. He’s tough-nosed guy that relies on his instincts which are above average. He’s got a long history of production at Colorado (10 interceptions) and has a knack for reading quarterbacks, this guy can make plays.

Continue reading...

fishspill

Reaction score
If you're going to gamble on character then I'd rather do Tim Williams over Tabor. By a whole bunch.

Best idea is to avoid both altogether.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Not bad. I don't want Teez and could do without Justin Evans.I like the Howard Wilson pick, and Roberts from Toledo.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I wouldn't hate that draft.

Teez is a bit of a knucklehead but I can tell you from my coaching experience, CBs are weird anyway. He's a good football player and at pick 60, the reward might be worth the risk. Talent-wise, he may be better than any CB we currently have on the roster.

UncleOscar

Reaction score
Horrible mock. Don't mind the trade down from 28 to 32 or even to very high second round. I like Watt, just not that high especially with his injury history. Hate Tabor at 60. Hate Evans pick more...watch him man handled by MSU receiver. Hall interesting but was very under performing at ATM.

I wouldn't even mind two trades...from 28 to 32, then 32 to very high second. But get some healthy players without issues.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I like the trade....depending on who they pass on. Generally they have a guy who is a 2nd and they don't have any of their assigned first round picks left....or they aren't at a position of need...say QB or RB.

fishspill

Reaction score
I wouldn't hate that draft.

Teez is a bit of a knucklehead but I can tell you from my coaching experience, CBs are weird anyway. He's a good football player and at pick 60, the reward might be worth the risk. Talent-wise, he may be better than any CB we currently have on the roster.

That might not be saying much.