BTB: Multiple Scribes Predict 2012 Cowboys Draft Picks

CCBoy

Reaction score
Crystal Ball: Multiple Scribes Predict 2012 Cowboys Draft Picks
by KD Drummond

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011/5/5/2155119/2012-nfl-mock-draft-cowboys#storyjump

Personally, I think I'm going to choose Swarovski over Strass. I tend to favor their intricate site lines over the simplistic nature of the glass... wait, not that kind of Crystal Ball? Oh, we're looking into the future! With the 2011 draft now history, the draftnik contingent of the sports world is already looking ahead to next year's crop of amateur entrants. These exercises are more than futile, especially without any of the free agents on the roster; we know that will eventually happen and holes will be filled.

Forecasting Dallas' needs are pretty simple for these types of things. You look at what you thought Dallas needed heading into the 2011 draft, see what they missed, and then check the 2012 forecasts and plug them in. With our atrocious pass defense during the 2010 season and not drafting a secondary player until Buffalo's Josh Thomas in the fifth round, you can imagine where everyone thinks Dallas will go with the selection. Also included in these 2012 early mocks, are where people that specialize in draft knowledge, forecast where Dallas will end up after the 2011 season.

In reality, we should just look at these exercises to start to get familiar with the rising juniors and sophomores that we should track over the next college football season...

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Assuming we resign Free, Sensy, Kosier and Bowen and in free agency sign Michael Huff, I would say our first round pick could be

Guard- Depends on where we pick, if we're 15th, where the first guard went this year, it's probably because we got bad play from some where else and wouldn't draft a Guard (or guard/center). But if we're in the late 20s or 30s, we may go guard here.

DE/NT- To me, this is our biggest need. I think Bowen can be a long term answer at RDE, but I think the team will let Spears walk and move Igor to LDE, which would only be a temporary solution. I can see us drafting a NT and moving Ratliff to LDE or drafting a DE late (like a Wilkerson or Heyward) and keeping Ratliff at NT

OLB- If Anthony Spencer can't put together a consistent season, we would need to draft a replacement.

CB- If Jenkins can't return to his 2009 form, this becomes our biggest need. Newman can be replaced via free agency if his play takes another dip, but if Jenkins plays like he did last year then I would likely trade up for a prospect.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Crystal Ball: Multiple Scribes Predict 2012 Cowboys Draft Picks
by KD Drummond on May 5, 2011 9:25 AM CDT in Dallas Cowboys 2011 Draft
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011/5/5/2155119/2012-nfl-mock-draft-cowboys

Just because I can, I'm going to start with the picks made by people that have a positive outlook on Dallas' 2011 chances.
Playoffs Baby!
Msn.foxsports.com's Peter Schrager:
Dallas rank 29th (lose NFC Championship game)
29. Dallas Cowboys — Andre Branch, DE, Clemson: Welcome back to the playoffs, Cowboys. With a healthy Tony Romo, Dallas makes it back to the postseason, beating the Saints in a divisional-round shootout, only to fall to the Packers up in Lambeau Field in the NFC championship game. With the defensive line needing a young talent up front, Jerry Jones and company grab Branch, the 6-5, 260-pound talent out of Clemson.

Cbssports.com's Chad Reuter:
Dallas ranks 26th
26. Dallas Cowboys *Robert Lester, FS, Alabama
Dallas might still be looking for a free safety next April, and Lester's height, speed and ability to find the ball in the air should strike owner Jerry Jones as a high-impact pick at a typically low-priority position in the first round.

BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1:
22. Dallas Cowboys: Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLB, Alabama
The Cowboys ignored the rush linebacker position in the 2011 NFL Draft, so they're going to give Anthony Spencer another chance. If Spencer disappoints yet again, he'll need to be replaced. A projected rush linebacker at the next level, the 260-pound Courtney Upshaw notched 14.5 TFL and 7.5 sacks in 2010.