News: BTB: The weird way the Dallas Cowboys are handling Rush and Maher, explained

Creeper

Reaction score
The left out the part about the Cowboys hoping there are players injured they can put on the IR to make room for the players coming up from the practice squad.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I gotta give them props on this one!
How did they know, no wanted Rush ?
:)
Rush is a vested veteran. He is not subject to waivers. It is his choice on where to sign.
- I'm certain that the Cowboys have some type of agreement with his agent that Rush will end up with the same salary that he would have made on the 53.
- i.e. He'll end up on the 53 for at least 3 games. That is the minimum for the season to count as an accrued season.

Maher was available and no other team signed him. It was safe to assume the another team would no claim him on waivers.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The left out the part about the Cowboys hoping there are players injured they can put on the IR to make room for the players coming up from the practice squad.
They can activate 2 practice squad players each week with the Covid era 48 man game day roster rules.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

This is why I favor signing both backup QBs to the practice squad. First three games, Rush can be promoted as backup. Next three games, Grier can be promoted as backup. And Dallas doesn't have to carry an extra quarterback on its 53 until game seven. (For what it's worth, I'd be all for bringing DiNucci back at that time if he's still available and cutting either Rush or Grier because that would give us nine games before having to add a QB to the 53.)

Obviously, if you have a backup QB you fear might be signed or claimed by another team, you wouldn't do that. But we don't have this, so it's a great way to go.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry setting a new trend. See how many teams does this next season. :laugh:

Then when they do, Will McClay will be there plucking a backup QB and a decent one (for once) off of some team.
It is the long play con here by Jerry. :thumbup:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Rush is a vested veteran. He is not subject to waivers. It is his choice on where to sign.
- I'm certain that the Cowboys have some type of agreement with his agent that Rush will end up with the same salary that he would have made on the 53.
- i.e. He'll end up on the 53 for at least 3 games. That is the minimum for the season to count as an accrued season.

Maher was available and no other team signed him. It was safe to assume the another team would no claim him on waivers.
Yep. it was a smart move on the front office's part.
Glad to see them getting creative.
Just wish that would translate to other parts on the front office's responsibilities.